Matt Murray with Most Wins in His First 100 Games (Since 2005)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Still easier to get wins, and he still plays on a stacked team :laugh:

Kind of like how Fleury plays on a stacked team now, right?

Oh, wait, a good goalie is good, but hey, let's undermine that by just saying he plays on a stacked team, lol.

No, I mean how Boeser scarred him emotionally.

He probably still cries about it.

I know right? Poor guy has to go home, crack open a cold beer, look at his two shrines to his back 2 back cup wins as a rookie, having an amazing career so far, is one of the best young goalies in the NHL, is headed to the playoffs again....

If only he didn't have someone score on him a bunch of times and stuff...

Imagine how much faster he would’ve gotten it if Boeser didn’t terrorize him.

Do you think Barzal will let Boeser touch the Calder Trophy in Vegas?

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Interestingly enough, he breaks a record set by Antti Niemi.

After reading the title of the thread, I was going to say wins are largely a team stat. I think looking at who he took the record from helps demonstrate that lol.

Though obviously Murray is a very very good goalie.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lucky he walked into the Penguins organization.

Wins is a team stat. I'm not too concerned with it when evaluating goaltenders. Would he have the same number of wins on the Sabres, Coyotes, Islanders, etc? No.

The only other team it likely would have been achievable on is the Capitals who have good regular season success.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Yes, wins are a team stat, but it's not as if the goaltender has nothing to do with a victory. How many high-powered offensive teams have we seen that can't string together wins because their goaltender is just average?

Dallas is the only one I can think of. Bottom line, most teams who score as much as Pittsburgh will win the majority of their games.

I know this might seem inconceivable, but the Penguins team can/could have won the Cup with many different goaltenders.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Dallas is the only one I can think of. Bottom line, most teams who score as much as Pittsburgh will win the majority of their games.

I know this might seem inconceivable, but the Penguins team can/could have won the Cup with many different goaltenders.

Quite the coincidence that the Pens were slipping into the abyss of being playoff underachievers until Murray came around, yet they haven't had problems scoring goals in the Crosby
/Malkin era.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Osgood 2.0

:laugh: I like how this was intended as an insult. He backstopped the Wings during two separate eras of success, with three distinct teams and the only downside was the peanut gallery talking about how he was overrated. Cool. I'm sure both player and franchise are really broken up about the lack of respect, ~750 games and three cup rings later.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
Best guess on Dryden is about 63 wins in the first 100. He was 45-8-15 through the 71-72 season, 70 games played, then won 61% of his games in 72-73. So for his first 30 games would calculated into another 18 wins. But keep in mind he would have also had about 22 unresolved ties that in modern times could add to his total. Imagine the Bowman Canadiens playing 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 hockey?

Reactions: Hornqvists Glasses

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He's really good. The Osgood 2.0 comments are from a place of ignorance and jealousy. He'll continue to stock his trophy case while some of you try to figure out ways to say he is overrated.

Reactions: tom_servo

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
The Osgood 2.0 label isn't necessarily a criticism. Heck, I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his NHL career for one of Osgood's rings, but like Osgood, I don't think Murray is anywhere near elite (not that being so is necessary) nor a vital cog for that franchise.

Hey may top out as a Corey Crawford, which is solid, but definitely goes to show that the win stat for goalies is highly flawed in terms of measuring greatness.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
What's up with Vancouver fans in here trying to tear Murray down?

Congrats your rookie scored goals on him...?

Our rookie led us to back to back stanley cups. you would've won one too if you had someone like him, but instead you chocked against boston and then ended up burning the city down LOL.

Reactions: KIRK

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Sure he is, but that's still a team stat. Plenty of goalies have played better than Murray in the regular season in the last two years.

explain why fleury didnt win for like 7 years then, Team was pretty stacked.

Also all this hate is hilarious. 23 years old, 2 stanley cups, playing thebest hockey of his life after returning to the team after his dad died. First games back were on the Fathers trip. Must have been an insanely difficult time as a person. He's 6-0-1 with a .924 save% since returning.

but yeah congrats to brock boesser for scoring on him or w.e.

Last edited by a moderator:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The Red Wings were actively looking to replace/upgrade over Osgood during pretty much his entire first stint with them.

The same can not be said about Murray and the Penguins.

Last edited:

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
is this brock boeser stuff for real? why are canucks fans like this? you had a rookie what went PPG for a little while and now your team is rightfully where it belongs with 50 points and in like 3rd to last in the whole league.

and you just extended your awful GM. If this is what makes you happy then im sorry things are so sad for you

For the record, boeser has 6 goals and 5 assists in 18 games in 2018. wow amazing.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
It's tough to say what Murray's career will be like at this point, but he's already made history. Given his age, the Penguins' goalie coach, and his unparalleled mental focus, I'm really optimistic.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
So last year our defense sucked and Murray isn't great but we managed back to back shutouts in the Cup Finals? I guess our offense was so good that they had the puck for 60 minutes straight

Maybe he won't be an elite goalie for the next 10 years+, but he has proven again and again that he is super clutch and makes timely saves while being an above average goalie at least

Reactions: Fatty McLardy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad