Matt Murray with Most Wins in His First 100 Games (Since 2005)

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
What you read as "jealousy" is actually historic fact. I'm sorry I don't define my personality via a team that you or I have ABSOLUTELY no effect on.
I'm too old and simply have other things to worry about to have my days and nights be affected by team xyz.

You guys can read what you want into, it's just a shame that the tribal thinking has crept so much into society that a proper discourse isn't even possible on something as banal as a message board. There aren't many hockey fans anymore, just fans of teams and it's apparent that it clouds the judgement of certain people so much that when a person says something they don't usually hear unless they go out of their tribal huts they don't know how to deal with it and start either resorting to personal attacks and try and find a reason as to why somebody could have a differing opinion (jealousy in this case, which is equally insulting).

I stated my hockey opinions (Murray is nothing special, the draft system is flawed, the Penguins took advantage in one way or another of said draft system) and get attacked for it. It's not a good look for you and the others who don't know how to deal with a differing opinion when you call somebody "clueless" or "just jealous".

Anyhow, I'll try and be the adult here and stay away from this "discourse" and let you guys in your unshakable Penguin related beliefs.

This whole post contains so many deflections and defense mechanisms that I hardly know where to begin with it. I'm sorry you were insulted by me calling you jealous. Generally when people hysterically refer to the NHL draft system as a "pity party" designed to benefit undeserving teams I assume they have some axe to grind. Perhaps if you had offered any support for your claims about Matt Murray and the Penguins, I would have taken them more seriously. I would also suggest that it's not a good look to write a 4-paragraph essay in response to a semi-joking comment on a message board and then smugly proclaim that no one is as good at handling differing opinions as you are.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Color me impressed. Most winds through 100 games in the last 12 years?

This record may not be broken for another 10 years or so. Remarkable!

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
His best attribute is the ice water running through his veins. He comes up big when needed the most. Pens don't win the last two cups without him imo. They lose to Tampa in 2016 and Ottawa in 2017 with Fleury in net.

I can play this game, too. Give 2016 Tampa Stamkos and Bishop for the whole series and the Penguins lose no matter who they start in net.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It wouldn't be so bad if Boeser didn't get so lucky

Cool, you seem to be really hanging on to that one thing. I guess you need it, so hey man, whatever floats your boat.

AD9tojZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AD9tojZ.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Don't be sensitive, kid made an ass of himself, it happens.

It's been what, 3 months...if that's all you got to hang on to (which it seems like it does, enjoy Benning for more years!!), then cool. Murray lost his cool for the first time in his young insanely impressive career.

You should probably get over it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can play this game, too. Give 2016 Tampa Stamkos and Bishop for the whole series and the Penguins lose no matter who they start in net.

Wait, is this the series where we were playing a rookie in net, who at that point had all of 13 games of NHL experience before the playoffs in net stealing games, and so were the Lightning?

That's neat.

We won the cup the following year without our #1 goalie for most of the playoffs and our #1 defenseman, excuses are cool though, I thoroughly enjoy hearing them.

Tampa made it all the way to the ECF without Stamkos and Vasilevskiy or however you spell his name, played an incredible series. A shame you went with excuses though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Osgood 1.0 won 69 of his first hundred games back when there were ties.

Who is Osgood 2.0? Legace? 3.0 is Howard? Who is 4.0? Mrazek?

That's really neat. I too enjoy how people get really pissy when Osgood's accomplishments are undermined by him just playing behind a good team and people defending that he really was actually good, but in the case of Murray being called Osgood, it's being used in a demeaning way. That's really clever, cool even.

And yet, here we are, Murray has won 2 cups in his first 2yrs, is still very much one of the better young goalies in the NHL under 25yrs old and finally not a rookie by technical terms and after his father passing away, has been playing like his old self again.

These assumptions are fantastic.

"Anyone can score 20 goals with Crosby, like me for example" - Random HF'er for the longest time on Hfboards, which has been proven false by literally the rotation of wingers that people would call nobodies that could never hit 20+ goals with Crosby.

Now it's "Murray is average"...remember when "Fleury would never win a cup!" or that "Fleury was just good because he's on the Penguins"...well how's MAF doing in Vegas?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well I came in here to talk about Boeser getting lucky, but now that you asked, I'm kind of impressed.
I'd be mad too if my star rookie of which you thought was going to win the Calder, isn't going to win the Calder because he's not the best rookie in the league right now.

"Lucky..."

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
"Somehow"?

Yes, that's standard practice - when another goaltender gets the decision, that decision is counted for the other goaltender (not Murray).

This is how the league's done it for literally decades. "Somehow".

Well I hardly ever see any references to goalies win percentage and even less so directly from NHL. So I couldn't tell what the standard league practice here is.

A goalie who plays 10 games, gets one win, and is pulled in nine other games with the other goalie getting credited for either win or loss - his winning percentage is 100%? Got it.

Reactions: Doctor No

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Good for him, but it's not exactly a company of future HoFamers that makes up the top-5. Probably speaks more about the quality of the team/team defense and so it's rather meh as far as individual achievements go.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'd be mad too if my star rookie of which you thought was going to win the Calder, isn't going to win the Calder because he's not the best rookie in the league right now.

"Lucky..."
I'm indifferent to either team, neither a fan of the canucks nor the penguins.

Just amused at the moment. Maybe you'll post another Stanley cup pic to really rub my nose in it, that will show me huh.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's been what, 3 months...if that's all you got to hang on to (which it seems like it does, enjoy Benning for more years!!), then cool. Murray lost his cool for the first time in his young insanely impressive career.

You should probably get over it.
Im over it, but when I'm reminded of it I'm amused, because i think it's funny. No amount of pictures of him with the cup will make me think it's not funny.

I think mm is a great young goalie btw, but when you look at his company this isn't ask that impressive of an accomplishment.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
A goalie who plays 10 games, gets one win, and is pulled in nine other games with the other goalie getting credited for either win or loss - his winning percentage is 100%? Got it.

It's a contrived example, but yes.

For that matter, a goaltender who plays ten games, allows 30 goals in each but wins each game 31-30, has a winning percentage of 100%. You can always come up with weird examples.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This is a stat that would most definitely be skewed by starting out on a team that is this great. And almost all of those names aren't very impressive ones. It's still an achievement.

Reactions: Hornqvists Glasses

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's a non-achievement.

Fortunately, Murray has no shortage of actual, impressive achievements regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad