Matt Murray with Most Wins in His First 100 Games (Since 2005)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
[mod]

Head to head? So is Murray facing Holtby without any skaters between them? Don’t try turning this into tennis.

Only this season is he the absolute, undisputed No. 1 and his numbers are underwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
After reading the title of the thread, I was going to say wins are largely a team stat. I think looking at who he took the record from helps demonstrate that lol.

Though obviously Murray is a very very good goalie.

Yeah, there is a common theme there, and it isn't just Niemi. Andersen, Howard, and Allen all fit.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
remember when murray shutout the preds in games 5 and 6 to win the cup?
Head to head? So is Murray facing Holtby without any skaters between them? Don’t try turning this into tennis.

Only this season is he the absolute, undisputed No. 1 and his numbers are underwhelming.

has dad died like a month ago dude. you're seeing the rebound now. once he returned to the team after taking some time off, these are is numbers. i cant wait to bump this thread in june.

Screen_Shot_2018_02_16_at_1_54_33_PM.png

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Congrats to Murray. His dad would be proud and my main concern this season is that he's got plenty of support, because losing a parent really sucks. He's still very young, and we're very happy with him. Pretty good for a 3rd rounder, anyway. :sarcasm:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It sucks that it took him parts of 3 years to play in 100 games. I like Murray and I hope he continues to play better down the stretch.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

He had better numbers in the series against both Lundqvist and Holtby, when the scoring chances were even on both sides.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
What?

It's in the original post- Murray's record is 62-24-7. Even if you count all of the overtime losses as losses (and the NHL doesn't), that's a 67% winning percentage.

Murray has played 100 career GP. So his winning % is 62% unless you somehow leave out the games in which he played but another goalie got credited for either the win or loss.

Nice achievement from Murray. Most importantly for him and the Penguins, he's getting into form recently.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Murray has played 100 career GP. So his winning % is 62% unless you somehow leave out the games in which he played but another goalie got credited for either the win or loss.

Nice achievement from Murray. Most importantly for him and the Penguins, he's getting into form recently.
And even at about 62-67% winning pct you’re looking at about somewhere around 105-110 standings points which normally would be considered pretty good.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
explain why fleury didnt win for like 7 years then, Team was pretty stacked.

Also all this hate is hilarious. 23 years old, 2 stanley cups, playing thebest hockey of his life after returning to the team after his dad died. First games back were on the Fathers trip. Must have been an insanely difficult time as a person. He's 6-0-1 with a .924 save% since returning.

but yeah congrats to brock boesser for scoring on him or w.e.

I can appreciate an argument based on save percentage, but wins has too much to do with the team in front of the goalie.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I can appreciate an argument based on save percentage, but wins has too much to do with the team in front of the goalie.

Not when that same goalie that leads his team to back to back stanley cups as a 21/22 year old, outperforming guys like Holtby, Lundqvist, on the way..

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Not when that same goalie that leads his team to back to back stanley cups as a 21/22 year old, outperforming guys like Holtby, Lundqvist, on the way..
He didn't lead his team though. He just didn't lose them the Cup like Fleury lol. Kinda like Osgood.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I don't think he's top 5 right now, especially with his stats this season, but he could be when he reaches his prime.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I hate the concept of celebrating a goalie's wins, because it puts the emphasis on the goalie, and not the team in front of him. The Pens were a great team the last 3 years. They still are a good team. I wonder how many wins Murray would have had had he and Lundqvist changed places the last 3 years.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

"Somehow"?

Yes, that's standard practice - when another goaltender gets the decision, that decision is counted for the other goaltender (not Murray).

This is how the league's done it for literally decades. "Somehow".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad