Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Matt Grzelcyk hasn't missed a beat the last few games since he's been back. He has diffidently earned a top 6 role heading forward.

His great skating and outlet passes along with that devastating first step where he just separates himself from opponents has become quite the weapon for Grizz but what impresses me the most about him is his willingness to battle along the Boards against bigger and stronger opponents. Despite him being out-sized he manages to win 80-90 % of those board battles with his quickness and smarts.

When it comes playoff time when opponents will try to wear down Chara and McAvoy by dumping the puck into their corners and banging them at every turn. A player the caliber of Grizz with his quickness and great puck retrieval skill will be a huge asset to counter this.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Gryz has been great. Goes to show you that patience can pay off with prospects.

It's amazing that this team went from dressing Tommy freaking Cross in a playoff game last year, to having two of Miller, McQuaid, Holden riding the bench once McAvoy comes back.

Incredible defensive depth.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Maybe Gryzz could be Krug's future replacement. Not saying trade Krug this off-season but with all the LHD they have in the system something has to give. They will bring back Chara for cheap and still have Krug for a season or 2 but people are knocking on the door. If Gryzz isn't traded he could be one of the D men we keep for the future.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Gryz has been great. Goes to show you that patience can pay off with prospects.

It's amazing that this team went from dressing Tommy freaking Cross in a playoff game last year, to having two of Miller, McQuaid, Holden riding the bench once McAvoy comes back.

Incredible defensive depth.

Yup. Sweeney certainly learned from last year's playoffs. I'm just amazed at how much this team has changed in such a short period of time. The different style of coaching (and I really liked Claude...but man the games were getting boring), and the outstanding improvement of players like Griz, DeBrusk...wow... SO MUCH FUN!!

I just can't get over how much better Griz is than last year, and he is still improving week by week. So far there hasn't been any indication of "hitting a wall".

Reactions: Strafer

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Gryz initiated the break out and kept the puck in on that first goal against Philly, but near the end of the first was my favorite play of his.

Reactions: maxbme

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
He led all D in TOI last night with 20:02 and 28 shifts, I just can't get over this kid. Definitely my next jersey, hopefully the Bs hold onto him for a long time!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Grizz is quite good- he's so slippery with the puck. It's quite fun to watch. He also makes really solid positional defensive plays and is good with the stick. He just gets it. Bruins scouts found a real sleeper who no doubt didn't get a lot of attention because he is "small." He doesn't play small, does he?

Reactions: TCB and Tampbear

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I can't remember if I posted this before but it is probably new to most. This is an ESPN article from 2012.
From 'The Kitchen' to NHL for Charlestown trio
http://www.espn.com/boston/nhl/stor...grew-playing-hockey-together-charlestown-mass
'Grzelcyk, who spent the last two seasons playing with the United States National Team Development Program in Michigan, was ranked 177th among North American skaters. That ranking was more a commentary on Grzelcyk's stature (5-foot-9, 171 pounds) than his skill. Before the draft, one Northeast regional scout of a Western Conference team, which was said to be considering Grzelcyk, commented that the blueliner's hockey IQ was "what you'd expect to find in the top 10, 15 picks in the draft."'

Quinn Hughes is basically a 1" taller version of Grzelcyk and he is going to be drafted top 6 or 7 in 2018. That's how much this league has changed. Ranked 177th (not counting Europeans), drafted 85th, 6 years later an almost identical player is 4th (not counting Europeans). There are expected to be 5 or 6 defensemen chosen in the 1st round of the 2018 draft that are under 6'. This is the clearest example of the rules benefiting skill over size.

This was probably the best draft 'steal' of the Chiarelli era.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Perceptions and "conventional wisdom" are slow to change- there are a number of posters here who have said we can't have both Krug and Grizz at the same time- one undersized d-man is all you can carry. The game is definitely changing. There will always be big, strong, skilled forwards who are a handful for a smaller defenseman, but those guys are not the norm anymore. Look at our own forward group- Backes and Rick Nash probably fit into that category and they are both 33- the guys who do most of the scoring damage for us: Bergy, Pasta, Brad, Krejci, DeBrusk, Heinen, Riley Nash- all of them are capable of being handled on the boards and down low by a good d-man of Grizz/Krug size.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Rule changes have helped smaller D.
Down low in your own zone playing smart has replaced playing"big", since a D breathing on someone the wrong way now gets them a two minute seat feeling shame.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I haen't gotten to watch him much until yesterday

Man, he's a pleasure to watch! I dunn if he'll replace Krug ever as a powerplay scoring type of D, but doing what he's doing now? He's definitely solidifying the team's D by helping with those breakouts and causing attacking fowards fits of frustration when they don't get a shot on net.

I'll admit I'm biased against smaller D guys, but man i'm glad he's proving me wrong like Torey did.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I've said it before, but if Sweeney manages to lock Grzelcyk to a long term deal he has the potential to turn into a ridiculously cost effective player. He doesn't have the draft status or the point production to command a high salary yet, but his on ice impact is already remarkable.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Perceptions and "conventional wisdom" are slow to change- there are a number of posters here who have said we can't have both Krug and Grizz at the same time- one undersized d-man is all you can carry. The game is definitely changing. There will always be big, strong, skilled forwards who are a handful for a smaller defenseman, but those guys are not the norm anymore. Look at our own forward group- Backes and Rick Nash probably fit into that category and they are both 33- the guys who do most of the scoring damage for us: Bergy, Pasta, Brad, Krejci, DeBrusk, Heinen, Riley Nash- all of them are capable of being handled on the boards and down low by a good d-man of Grizz/Krug size.

I love Gryz. But, there are some heavy teams that might be able to take advantage in a 7 game playoff series. I think Krug+Gryz is your best combo, but I am also glad you have a bigger guy like Holden that can step in if it becomes a problem against a bigger physical team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I love Gryz. But, there are some heavy teams that might be able to take advantage in a 7 game playoff series. I think Krug+Gryz is your best combo, but I am also glad you have a bigger guy like Holden that can step in if it becomes a problem against a bigger physical team.

I don't disagree that there are going to be teams/match-ups that put smaller guys like Grizz and Krug at a disadvantage, I just think that it has been overstated. I wouldn't dress a entire D-Corps of Krug/Grizz/Spurgeon/Ellis types- you need your Carlo, McQuaid, Miller guys too. I think we are in agreement here, but in terms of HF chicken little-ing, it isn't nearly so big of a liability that some claim :laugh:.

Reactions: wintersej

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Grz and McAvoy were one of the best college backend pair....and imo should play together in the near future when Chara retires

I have been saying Grz is like a shorter poor man version of Duncan Keith. The more I watch him, the easier it will be to take out "poor man version".

Future pairings (2 years?)

Grz McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Zboril Miller
Vaaka Louzon

Reactions: TCB

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

We will be able to judge this better in 2-3 years... but sitting here today it has to worry us

I love bruin success storys. Gryz has already been better than i anticipated. Can he become more than our 6th dman? I hope so

If he was 5 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier we might be talking about him as a left handed mcavoy

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Grz and McAvoy were one of the best college backend pair....and imo should play together in the near future when Chara retires

I have been saying Grz is like a shorter poor man version of Duncan Keith. The more I watch him, the easier it will be to take out "poor man version".

Future pairings (2 years?)

Grz McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Zboril Miller
Vaaka Louzon

He has a long long long way to go before he's even a comparable to Duncan Keith.....I'd say a Jared Spurgeon comparison makes more sense; not just because they're both diminutive defenseman. That said, let him be Matt Grzelcyk.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
It seems like every shift he makes a good play. When he was at BU I thought he would be a fringe NHL player, because of his size. Was I ever wrong. Maybe he's never going to be the kind of defenseman like McQuaid who demolishes people in front of the net, but he's as good as any Bruin D-man in a long time at stripping pucks and then quickly sending the action back the other way. Tremendous agility and hand-eye. And confidence.

Reactions: JP Nolan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad