McKenzie: Matt Duchene: "Player Most Likely To Be Traded This Summer"

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Whoa there. Some of this is false. Duchene has missed 23 games since 2012, not much of an injury history. And ROR was rumored to be on his way out since his ELC expired and it took an offer sheet to get him signed. In addition, Duchene has proven much more offensively at the time of the (potential) trade.

He is 26. ROR was 23. Big difference there.

ROR at the time of Offer sheet was a 21 year old who had scored 55 points and gotten more noticed due to his defensive contributions. At the time of the trade he was 23 and had moved up to top 6 defensive forward in the league. Better on the PP and the PK and better defensively.

Duchene, you have seen just about all he has to give at age 26. He is not a top defensive forward and his offensive totals are only slightly better previously and just came off one of his worst years ever. He has never been a powerplay Genius or a PK stalwart.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
He is 26. ROR was 23. Big difference there.

ROR at the time of Offer sheet was a 21 year old who had scored 55 points and gotten more noticed due to his defensive contributions. At the time of the trade he was 23 and had moved up to top 6 defensive forward in the league. Better on the PP and the PK and better defensively.

Duchene, you have seen just about all he has to give at age 26. He is not a top defensive forward and his offensive totals are only slightly better previously and just came off one of his worst years ever. He has never been a powerplay Genius or a PK stalwart.

It's kinda funny that you're saying this because now I see a lot of posters (Not targeting you) in this thread who are contradicting themselves before the ROR trade who were saying the player was overated, was asking too much, and we will never get Zadorov for him...And now that he's in Buffalo, he's a superstar.

Duchene has had only had ONE bad season and all of a sudden he's almost not even a 1st line player. Please...give me a break!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Let's stop reading and talking past each other. He said 'less injury history, not that ROR was injury free or that Duchene is riddled with injuries.

Duchene missed 23 games since 2012 according to you. How many did ROR miss. If it's anything less than 23 you may need to lookup 'false' on the internet...
Thank you, it's as if you need to spoon feed people or they spin it anyway they want.

Plus, why stop at 2012 right before the injury that caused him to miss 24 games? The 2011-2012 season he missed close to a month.

Granted he played 71, 82, 76, 77... which if I am not mistaken adds up to 22 games missed while getting closer to 30 years in age.

I don't think ROR had that issue around being traded at 24 with less injury history.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thank you, it's as if you need to spoon feed people or they spin it anyway they want.

Plus, why stop at 2012 right before the injury that caused him to miss 24 games? The 2011-2012 season he missued close to a month.

Granted he played 71, 82, 76, 77... which if I am not mistaken adds up to 22 games missed while getting closer to 30 years in age.

I don't think ROR had that issue around being traded at 24 with less injury history.

Because it's been 5(!) years. That's already too long ago for it to be relevant to the player he is today. If we can't boost his value by taking about his 70 point season because it was too long ago, people shouldn't be able to go back ever further in order to try to prove a case that he has injury issues.

You are the one spinning here. In the past 3 seasons, he's missed 11 games. That's gotta be among the least injured in the NHL.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Because it's been 5(!) years. That's already too long ago for it to be relevant to the player he is today. If we can't boost his value by taking about his 70 point season because it was too long ago, people shouldn't be able to go back ever further in order to try to prove a case that he has injury issues.

You are the one spinning here. In the past 3 seasons, he's missed 11 games. That's gotta be among the least injured in the NHL.

Not when you are discussing the relative age of the players when they were moved. Going back that far would be around the same age ROR was moved. The correlation is being made in regards to their values when they were moved.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If other teams aren't offering their crown-jewel prospect for Duchene (along with the other pieces mentioned), why should the Islanders? Sergachev was dealt for a younger player who has been improving season after season with the potential to be a superstar. Duchene is a phenomenal player in his own right but shouldn't (and probably won't) fetch a return commensurate to what TB got for Drouin.

I love Drouin, but his hype is absurd. It's been 4 years and he is still being valued just on his potential, not to mention his character (for a lack of better words) issues. I don't know where this idea came from that his value is so amazing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I love Drouin, but his hype is absurd. It's been 4 years and he is still being valued just on his potential, not to mention his character (for a lack of better words) issues. I don't know where this idea came from that his value is so amazing.

A near ppg Playoff run followed by a 53 point season as a 21 year old is excellent. He outscored Duchene by 12 points last year. Drouin is an absolute gamebreaker who is just getting going. You'd have to try to miss those basics. He is right up there with Nylander, Aho, Ehlers, Pastrnak, etc.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Let's stop reading and talking past each other. He said 'less injury history, not that ROR was injury free or that Duchene is riddled with injuries.

Duchene missed 23 games since 2012 according to you. How many did ROR miss. If it's anything less than 23 you may need to lookup 'false' on the internet...

If you want to play that game he actually said "far less injury history". So yes, it's false.

Not to mention the only reason you say something like that is to imply that one guy has an injury history. I mean, who argues about the number of injured games when talking about 20 games over 3 years.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If you want to play that game he actually said "far less injury history". So yes, it's false.

Not to mention the only reason you say something like that is to imply that one guy has an injury history. I mean, who argues about the number of injured games when talking about 20 games over 3 years.
When that guy is pointing out at the time ROR was traded he didn't have that type of injuries.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
A near ppg Playoff run followed by a 53 point season as a 21 year old is excellent. He outscored Duchene by 12 points last year. Drouin is an absolute gamebreaker who is just getting going. You'd have to try to miss those basics. He is right up there with Nylander, Aho, Ehlers, Pastrnak, etc.

Everyone gets those basics. Difference is, you and many others think 50 points is something to lose your load over and comparable to 70 point players and 60 point teenagers.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Everyone gets those basics. Difference is, you and many others think 50 points is something to lose your load over and comparable to 70 point players and 60 point teenagers.

Leave the comparisons out, will you? We have moved on from Duchene at this point.

Duchene for Hamonic.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
When that guy is pointing out at the time ROR was traded he didn't have that type of injuries.

Duchene missed 20+ games over 3 years. I don't care if O'Reilly had perfect attendance throughout his entire career. That's still not "far less". Either the dude had no idea how many games Duchene missed and posted an ignorant comment, or he purposely exaggerated the truth to de-value Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad