McKenzie: Matt Duchene: "Player Most Likely To Be Traded This Summer"

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
His value could continue to decrease if he has another bad season. And he'd be a year closer to UFA.

Then we sell him at the deadline purely as a rental, instead of taking low value for him now since with 2 years left on his contract, some are already perceiving him as a rental.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It really seems like additional leverage Avs fans want to give themselves, highly unlikely in reality.

Duchene's name was and is all over trade rumors everywhere, to the point where he gave up on your team the second half of the year. The Avs haven't changed anything yet except buying out Beauch, and safe to say if Duchene sticks around there's no other big trade to significantly change the Avs.

Next offseason, his value takes a hit. Look at how much teams want to give up for JVR. Look how many ridiculous "if Tavares refuses to resign" proposals we have to field.

What's annoying about Avalanche fans is there's no compromise or in between. It's either the high prices we want, and anything less than that is trading Duchene for "next to nothing" or "spare parts".

There's a difference between offering 25 cents on the dollar, to 75 cents on the dollar, to 96 cents on the dollar. There's no sense of "I'm not paying a dollar so take this penny and like it". Yet anytime anyone suggests Duchene might not get what you ask for, suddenly I'm trying to get him for Halak + a conditional 7th and you feel the need to tell me he's worth more than that.

It's funny how you guys want to point to a crappy year and his ability to sign somewhere in two years as the reason his value is so low, and then say his value will only get worse. This time next year he can negotiate a new contract, which seems to be the main hang up with other GMs. And he can have a bounce back year.

Why do you feel the need for compromise? Seriously, who freakin cares? These discussions don't mean a damn thing. I swear, some of you actually think you are truly negotiating at real life trade. If all you want is for someone to agree with you on a trade then why don't you compromise and toss in Barzal?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Then we sell him at the deadline purely as a rental, instead of taking low value for him now since with 2 years left on his contract, some are already perceiving him as a rental.

As an Aves fan would you prefer to lose a deal now and get maybe CDH Strome and a 2nd. Or win a Duchene deal as a rental where you get a throwaway prospect and a first? I

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
As an Aves fan would you prefer to lose a deal now and get maybe CDH Strome and a 2nd. Or win a Duchene deal as a rental where you get a throwaway prospect and a first? I

From what I have noticed, the ROR return seems to be the hangup.

Most other avs fans consistently point that deal as proof that they can get absolutely every piece they covet.

Failing to see there are a variety of differences.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's funny how you guys want to point to a crappy year and his ability to sign somewhere in two years as the reason his value is so low, and then say his value will only get worse. This time next year he can negotiate a new contract, which seems to be the main hang up with other GMs. And he can have a bounce back year.

Why do you feel the need for compromise? Seriously, who freakin cares? These discussions don't mean a damn thing. I swear, some of you actually think you are truly negotiating at real life trade. If all you want is for someone to agree with you on a trade then why don't you compromise and toss in Barzal?

You respond to my "Avs fans hate to compromise at all" point by telling me to compromise and add Barzal?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Maatta, Sheary, 1st and Sundqvist and Bonino for Duchene and EJ.

Matt and Crosby and EJ are all buds so it just makes sense.

This trade worked in my NHL 17 game so I'm just curious!

Fire away!

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
From what I have noticed, the ROR return seems to be the hangup.

Most other avs fans consistently point that deal as proof that they can get absolutely every piece they covet.

Failing to see there are a variety of differences.

I mean, the biggest difference being, ROR was ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT QUESTION going to be traded. And look at the haul he brought in.

Why in actuality would/should Duchene be traded for less?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I mean, the biggest difference being, ROR was ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT QUESTION going to be traded. And look at the haul he brought in.

It's all about circumstance. I don't expect a repeat of the Griffin Reinhart trade. Edmonton was that desperate for a defenseman, and Buffalo was desperate for a player like ROR. Will a team step up in the same way for Duchene? Who knows. I don't think they'll step up with an elite defensive prospect though, since the value of those seems to have gone up for some reason.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

ROR and Duchene are different players with different values.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Duchenes value can actually go up if we wait till next offseason to trade him. Cant really have a worse year than this. Also he will be eligible for an extension at that point so avs can let teams negotiate with him so they dont think of him as a rental. Im an avs fan and i feel like its time for him to move on for the right package but we cant just unanimously say he loses value the longer we keep him

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The whole "how dare you discuss trade values on a trade discussion forum you really think what you say is going to affect general managers" point?

I glossed over that one because it's stupid.

That's what you got from that? :shakehead

You still don't get it. You are *****ing about Avs fans not compomising and just sticking to what they think, but you are doing the exact same thing. It's hypocricy at its finest. There is nothing wrong with discussing trade values. you were not discussing trade values. You were whining that nobody is willing to agree with what you think and attacking everyone as uncompromisable as if everyone should just simply agree with you.

Don't whine and ***** about others who are doing the same thing as you.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's what you got from that? :shakehead

You still don't get it. You are *****ing about Avs fans not compomising and just sticking to what they think, but you are doing the exact same thing. It's hypocricy at its finest. There is nothing wrong with discussing trade values. you were not discussing trade values. You were whining that nobody is willing to agree with what you think and attacking everyone as uncompromisable as if everyone should just simply agree with you.

Don't whine and ***** about others who are doing the same thing as you.

Where have I named a flat price for Duchene and insisted Avs fans meet it?

Where have I attacked other posters for not agreeing with me on a trade I proposed? Or whined about a trade I proposed?

You're just flat out making a lot of stuff up about me. People can go back and read what I said dude, this whole "actually you're the one refusing to compromise you hypocrite!" is just you projecting what you want me to say. I can't compromise because it's "Barzal++ or get lost", even when the Sergachev++ offer I've been told to beat isn't feasible anymore.

So exactly what am I refusing to compromise on? That Duchene might get a 75 cent return and not a 99 cent one? Maybe he does get a 99 cent return, this offseason or in the future, which I've said. It's just unlikely.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maatta, Sheary, 1st and Sundqvist and Bonino for Duchene and EJ.

Matt and Crosby and EJ are all buds so it just makes sense.

This trade worked in my NHL 17 game so I'm just curious!

Fire away!

The Avs would want the Blues to add a nice pick to Parayko for both Duchene and EJ...so, no...that trade only works in NHL 17.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Presumably the part where you said "not Barzal". :)

Don't be silly. How could removing the one piece that could make a Duchene trade tenable for Sakic, from negotiations be misconstrued so badly?

Trading Duchene will suck for the avs but getting back someone who might match duchene one day, a solid NHL dman, and a nice pick could make it workable even without the premiere defensive prospect; but if that centerpiece is off the table all further negotiation is pointless and the discussions implode.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad