Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Zuccarello to be traded or not? Any news?
Management was sort of in a hurry to "get rid of" Grabner and Nash, as their contracts expire when this season is over. Zucc has one year left on his contract after this season, so they can afford to wait for exactly the kind of offer that they are after.

That offer might come tomorrow, or it might never come, no way for us to tell :)

Of course, if Zucc remains on the team until this time next season, unless they are signing an extension, then Zucc will also probably go for "best offer received" so that the Rangers get something back for him.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Maybe you weren’t around at the time but his best friends (Hags and Brassard) used to play for the Rangers.

I've been a Ranger--and hockey-- fan for over 50 years. Saw my first games at the Old Garden on Broadway. Zucc has said publicly that he wants to finish his career with the Rangers. Has he come out and said something different recently?

Lots of people assumed the Staal brothers would become free agents and find a team to play with together--that never happened. Yes, he Sedin's made it clear they wanted to play together (and so too did Selanne and Kariya) but I really don't see it as a priority for most players. It's a business, players have limited control over where they play and are not going to hold out to go to a team because they have friends there, even with a some kind of no-trade clause. There's plenty of time in the off-season to hang out with friends.

Reactions: haveandare

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I hope Zucc retires a Ranger, but if we get an overpayment then I understand why Gorton would trade him. Will just be unfortunate.

The lock screen on my phone:

zucc-chara.jpg

Reactions: Ori and Placid

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
zucc is most likely staying unless we get blown away by an offer for him
You were right but seeing the mess we have now for the next 3-8 years I kind of wish Mats was in Pitt or Tampa to play in the playoffs with Brass/Hags or McD/JT.

Reactions: Ori

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
You were right but seeing the mess we have now for the next 3-8 years I kind of wish Mats was in Pitt or Tampa to play in the playoffs with Brass/Hags or McD/JT.
zucc like hank are going to finish their careers as rangers....that is just my guess

when it comes to zucc though more specifically i think where we end up in the lottery is going to have a huge impact on whether he is a ranger next year.....

hear me out here for a second, if the rangers manage to get into the top 3 in this draft i think that truly alters the plans for gorton going forward especially if we manage to get dahlin first overall (i understand this is a pipe dream) the team isnt far away from competing. We obviously arent cup contenders next season but i think getting in the top 3 would also mean we are most likely signing kovalchuk. that would mean we are able to ice a fairly competitive team and zucc is a part of that

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes true, I think it`s crucial to get one of the top three prospects in the next 2018 draft - so I also believe it depends on how we are doing in the draft concerning Zucc being part of Rangers or not. But just just moving players based on age topic is not a good strategy to do a successful rebuild. All is talking about rebuild, but you need to consider key pieces - how is our PP doing without Shattenkirk for instant, and we had one of the best PP when both Kreider & Shattenkirk were healthy beginning of the season for a while at least. And removing all pieces, because just sake of moving players for picks make no sense to me personally - it just delay the years we are going to compete without veteran players.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Yes true, I think it`s crucial to get one of the top three prospects in the next 2018 draft - so I also believe it depends on how we are doing in the draft concerning Zucc being part of Rangers or not. But just just moving players based on age topic is not a good strategy to do a successful rebuild. All is talking about rebuild, but you need to consider key pieces - how is our PP doing without Shattenkirk for instant, and we had one of the best PP when both Kreider & Shattenkirk were healthy beginning of the season for a while at least. And removing all pieces, because just sake of moving players for picks make no sense to me personally - it just delay the years we are going to compete without veteran players.

look at how trading everyone older then 26 worked for teams like the oilers and buffalo

you need to have veteran leadership on any team

Reactions: Gino Odjick and Ori

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
zucc like hank are going to finish their careers as rangers....that is just my guess

when it comes to zucc though more specifically i think where we end up in the lottery is going to have a huge impact on whether he is a ranger next year.....

hear me out here for a second, if the rangers manage to get into the top 3 in this draft i think that truly alters the plans for gorton going forward especially if we manage to get dahlin first overall (i understand this is a pipe dream) the team isnt far away from competing. We obviously arent cup contenders next season but i think getting in the top 3 would also mean we are most likely signing kovalchuk. that would mean we are able to ice a fairly competitive team and zucc is a part of that
You could be 100% right although signing Kovy seems like a strange move during a rebuild. I just feel bad for Zooks. Most his friends have come and gone. All that remains for him is Lundy, Zibs, and Kreider. Plus how fun would it have been to see him back with Brass and Hags (Or Cally/Strall/JT/McD) for a shot at the cup?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I say stay away, as attractive as Kovy sounds in bringing in so that the Russian kids have an elder to go to. Guy is 1) 35 and 2) can go rogue anytime.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
You could be 100% right although signing Kovy seems like a strange move during a rebuild. I just feel bad for Zooks. Most his friends have come and gone. All that remains for him is Lundy, Zibs, and Kreider. Plus how fun would it have been to see him back with Brass and Hags (Or Cally/Strall/JT/McD) for a shot at the cup?

Lundqvist, Zucc, Kreider, Fast, and Staal are all that's left of the Cup Finals team, if I'm not missing anyone else. AV and Arniel don't count.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
zucc can 100% be part of the next cup run...i know we are bad right now and next year will most likely be tough as well but this isnt a 5 or 6 year rebuild here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad