Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Lundqvist, Zucc, Kreider, Fast, and Staal are all that's left of the Cup Finals team, if I'm not missing anyone else. AV and Arniel don't count.
That is crazy. Seems like only a year ago the finals OT games were giving me heart attacks.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
zucc can 100% be part of the next cup run...i know we are bad right now and next year will most likely be tough as well but this isnt a 5 or 6 year rebuild here
I hope you are right. I dont see many replacement level guys for the ones we had in the past. If we luck in to 2 super studs in a draft maybe but Im not optimistic of seeing a conference finals anytime soon. I was for rebuilding but I wanted to see a top prospect or top picks. Drafting 28-30 isn't going to bring back much usually.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, and the top picks Tampa brings won`t get us deep into a playoffs run - which is why I was sad that Gorton agreed to that offer without any of their 1st picks in their farm. We can still hit late in the draft like Nasheville with #30 in 2017, but it`s on rare occasions so our conditional pick won`t win us cups anytime soon unless we somehow win the lottery this summer, but I don`t see it.
It will be an unknown future @NickyFotiu and I want Rangers to win a cup like anyone else on this forum.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I say stay away, as attractive as Kovy sounds in bringing in so that the Russian kids have an elder to go to. Guy is 1) 35 and 2) can go rogue anytime.

Yes, and Lundqvist can flip another net. And Glass can score another play off goal. And the Cubs can win the World Series again. Just because it happened before, doesn't mean it will happen again

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yes, and the top picks Tampa brings won`t get us deep into a playoffs run - which is why I was sad that Gorton agreed to that offer without any of their 1st picks in their farm. We can still hit late in the draft like Nasheville with #30 in 2017, but it`s on rare occasions so our conditional pick won`t win us cups anytime soon unless we somehow win the lottery this summer, but I don`t see it.
It will be an unknown future @NickyFotiu and I want Rangers to win a cup like anyone else on this forum.
Picks 28-30 only have around a 35% chance of being real nhl players nevermind top players. My hope is we can package picks and players to move up at least to the teens.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Their elite/franchise level talents are going to have to come with their high pick(s). They were never going to acquire them via trade and while they may get lucky and hit on an excellent player with a later pick, they're most likely going to have to knock their top 5-10 pick out of the park, both this year and next year.

I wouldn't poo poo those later 1st round picks. Not only can you find a Tolvanen that late, those picks can also turn into players we just acquired yesterday. Those are guys you need to fill out your roster (One of the reasons why a bunch of rebuilds fail is because teams suck at drafting outside of making the obvious picks, Isles are a great example of this) and once you build a nice cache of prospects, you can easily afford to use some of them to fill a hole or 2, which is what Tampa did.

Expecting McDonagh to return a top 10 pick is more ridiculous than expecting Tampa to include Point in the McD deal. Perhaps maybe Edmonton would get desperate and take the plunge, but I doubt it at this point, not with only a year of control left.

Also Zucc is toast come June. Brooks has had excellent intel on this whole situation from day 1, the Rangers don't have interest in bringing him back.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I hope you are right. I dont see many replacement level guys for the ones we had in the past. If we luck in to 2 super studs in a draft maybe but Im not optimistic of seeing a conference finals anytime soon. I was for rebuilding but I wanted to see a top prospect or top picks. Drafting 28-30 isn't going to bring back much usually.

this belief that we cant find stud players in the mid to late 20's is just not true

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
this belief that we cant find stud players in the mid to late 20's is just not true

Exactly. Washington finds them consistently.

upload_2018-2-27_22-50-36.png

Varlamov, Carlson, Johansson, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Who are the guys that make the Caps contenders? The guys drafted in the top 10 or guys drafted 28-30?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Who are the guys that make the Caps contenders? The guys drafted in the top 10 or guys drafted 28-30?
its the guys you can get at 25 that make then cup contenders, the oilers drafted mcdavid #1 overall and it didnt mean shit if they cant turn a later round pick into another superstar

its rare you get handed multiple top picks like the pens and hawks did in drafts where there was a consensus best player

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nicklas Bäckström from that list, and he was a top early pick and you build around them.
We are not saying that it is impossible to find good players outside of top 5, but when you are competing against the best teams in this league you need to hit in the drafts, and it`s essential for this franchise success in the future.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nicklas Bäckström from that list, and he was a top early pick and you build around them.
We are not saying that it is impossible to find good players outside of top 5, but when you are competing against the best teams in this league you need to hit in the drafts, and it`s essential for this franchise success in the future.
Why was AO not even on that list? Hasn't he been an important player on the Caps? :D

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
its the guys you can get at 25 that make then cup contenders, the oilers drafted mcdavid #1 overall and it didnt mean **** if they cant turn a later round pick into another superstar

its rare you get handed multiple top picks like the pens and hawks did in drafts where there was a consensus best player
Nobody is saying it isn't possible to get good players at #30 but if good players are there at #30 won't better players often be picked sooner? The odds of a #30 pick just becoming an all star player (not an elite player) are very bad odds.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Nobody is saying it isn't possible to get good players at #30 but if good players are there at #30 won't better players often be picked sooner? The odds of a #30 pick just becoming an all star player (not an elite player) are very bad odds.
I wonder the difference between a pick at 7 and a pick at 30 being an all star

member 116805

I posted this is the Roster build thread also

Not sure if mentioned, but a Swedish website (Expressen) claims that we offered zucc to Tampa with McDonagh but they wanted Miller instead

Google translation is needed

Tampa Bay jublar över affären med Rangers

Didn't say that we offered Zucc, but that they GUESS we did, but it turned out to be JT that went to Tampa. The part about Zucc being offered in the package is pure speculation

"Gissningen är att Rangers ville skicka norrmannen Mats Zuccarello i trejden med Ryan McDonagh, men nu blev det JT Miller i stället.
Förmodligen efter krav från Lightning."

Gissningen and Förmodligen Are the key words in that sentence

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I'm not entirely sure the Boston pick is going to be in the absolute latest region. Could very well be of course, although, I think that is far, far from certain. People seem to be pencilling that in as a given.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I don't know if that's quite the belief of many.

I think the belief is that it's difficult and you have to be in the right place, at the right time, in the right draft.

Until now, I don't know if the Rangers have been in that spot too often over the last 12 years or so.

It's why we don't typically come up with a long list of players we should've taken when we review our first round picks, starting in 2005.

IMO, from 2017 on will be the real measure of their ability to find those guys.

Reactions: Rangers in 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad