Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Ladies and Gentlemen may I remind you that flaming is not permitted on HFBoards. Please keep your comments contained to the topic at hand and not towards your fellow posters.

1) Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Now NYI’s leading scorer, and will likely hut the 20 goal and 50 assists mark.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
What terrible, terrible questions. If that is representative of Toronto Media, JT will never be a Leaf.

Talking to Barzal - "So what about that other scoring line you guys are supposed to have? 91? I think his number is, and you guys are blowing games! Ya gotta make the playoffs!"

Mat "....."

Yep, that's Toronto :laugh:

I would pay serious money to see Barzal's face at that moment :laugh:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
This kid makes me feel so much better about JT possibly leaving.

Imagine if we didn't have him? I'd be losing my f***ing mind over the possibility of Johnny going.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
That feature on him was pretty cool, who knew his best friend on the team is Seidenberg, or that is who he lives with.

He seems like a very mature young guy. Loved the modest and unassuming ride, he has a great personality to go along with his skillset. I've never had a bromance but may be developing one. Barzal is the future!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He seems like a very mature young guy. Loved the modest and unassuming ride, he has a great personality to go along with his skillset. I've never had a bromance but may be developing one. Barzal is the future!

We just have to hope the league doesn't adjust to him, but he has skills I have not seen that may not be adjustable.

Seids seems like a great guy, seems like he will be a Long Islander after his career is up in a few games

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I was reading Novet's article on The Athletic about our neutral zone play and one part about our zone exits stood out that i'll paraphrase:

While, the Islanders really have a high amount of failed zone exits (4th worst), when they don't fail to exit the zone they do great. Of the completed zone exits the Isles have, 56% of them maintain possession.

Instantly I think to all the times Barzal gains possession, doesn't like an exit pass to a winger, and circles back to gain speed and just do it himself. He's crazy smart and has the wheels and hands to pull it all off.

Reactions: dood

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

This skating expert says Barzal skates like a mix of Coffey and Savard. Amazing analysis of how technically superior his skating is. Reinforces what MaxPac said about Barzal earlier in the season.

Okay, but other than skating like a cross between the best straight ahead skater and the best stop-and-turn skater, how's his skating?

scott99

May 13, 2005

This skating expert says Barzal skates like a mix of Coffey and Savard. Amazing analysis of how technically superior his skating is. Reinforces what MaxPac said about Barzal earlier in the season.

I saw this, interesting comparisons. I agree with Savard, and the cross overs remind me of Coffey, who was an amazing skater. But to me, I’ve never seen a skater get as low as Barzal, and straight line speed ? I’d like to see him in a race with McDavid and Larkin, they may beat him straight line, but sure would be fun to watch.

Reactions: dood

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I saw this, interesting comparisons. I agree with Savard, and the cross overs remind me of Coffey, who was an amazing skater. But to me, I’ve never seen a skater get as low as Barzal, and straight line speed ? I’d like to see him in a race with McDavid and Larkin, they may beat him straight line, but sure would be fun to watch.

Straight up speed is not Barzal's game, I don't know how he'd fare against the noted speedsters like McDavid and Larkin. I think they are at another level when it comes to pure twitch speed, Grabner as well.

Barzal's technique is almost flawless, he looks like he'd kill it as a speed skater in either short or long track. He's ALWAYS moving his feet, he's always crossing over. I remember seeing this in his draft year:

John Williams - Central Scouting: "He's the best skater I've seen in the WHL in terms of his east-west game while creating time and space with his feet. He has great vision and puck skills."

You'd be hard pressed to find a more elusive skater than Barzal right now. With premium vision and instincts, he uses his skating to full advantage. It looks comical how he can play keep away from everyone and he's not doing it with unbridled speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad