Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Straight up speed is not Barzal's game, I don't know how he'd fare against the noted speedsters like McDavid and Larkin. I think they are at another level when it comes to pure twitch speed, Grabner as well.

Barzal's technique is almost flawless, he looks like he'd kill it as a speed skater in either short or long track. He's ALWAYS moving his feet, he's always crossing over. I remember seeing this in his draft year:

John Williams - Central Scouting: "He's the best skater I've seen in the WHL in terms of his east-west game while creating time and space with his feet. He has great vision and puck skills."

You'd be hard pressed to find a more elusive skater than Barzal right now. With premium vision and instincts, he uses his skating to full advantage. It looks comical how he can play keep away from everyone and he's not doing it with unbridled speed.
Straight up speed is useless anyway. Look at Prince. Barzal’s ability to handle the puck at max speed is equal to or better than McDavid. That’s what makes him so good.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
can somebody pass a message on to Barzy. I haven't seen any of his 5pt. games yet. I'll be tuning in tonight, so, tonight would be as good a night as any to get it done.

Reactions: IODCPiper

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
can somebody pass a message on to Barzy. I haven't seen any of his 5pt. games yet. I'll be tuning in tonight, so, tonight would be as good a night as any to get it done.

Haha, you must be licking your chops that he might be available for the WHC. I hope not, but he could kill it on international ice.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Haha, you must be licking your chops that he might be available for the WHC. I hope not, but he could kill it on international ice.

In my perfect world scenario, NYI do make the POs. but not much of a chance of moving on beyond the 1st. rd. So, Barzal, Ebs and Bailey (new deal in hand) get in 5 or 6 po games and are free before the team leaves for Europe. now if only J.T. can get off his ass and sign that new contract. but he's going to July 1. oh well.

but yes, I look at my roster every morning with my coffee and day dream of the possibilities.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I saw this, interesting comparisons. I agree with Savard, and the cross overs remind me of Coffey, who was an amazing skater. But to me, I’ve never seen a skater get as low as Barzal, and straight line speed ? I’d like to see him in a race with McDavid and Larkin, they may beat him straight line, but sure would be fun to watch.
IDK. In the typical skating race they're turning about as much as they're skating straight ahead. It would come down to how much speed Barzal could carry through and (especially) out of the turns at each end. If he's going faster than the other guys at the start of the straight that would likely make up for any advantage they have once they get up to full speed. I'll be interested to see him in one of those races someday.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Mathew Barzal is now doing many of the same things that got Josh Ho-Sang sent down to the AHL.

Just thought you’d like to know.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
my prediction is Barzal's stats are going to go down and his turnovers are going to go up as a result of Eberle's comment, he is a guy who has to skate around until he is seeing the right play, and for Ebrele to call him out like that is BS, even watching yesterday it seems he was alot quicker to pass and that is not a good thing, if Barzal is holding on to the puck for 85% of his lines shift it is ok with me, our offense starts and ends with him and our offense looked like garbage yesterday

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Mathew Barzal is now doing many of the same things that got Josh Ho-Sang sent down to the AHL.

yes but Ho-Sang was not averaging a point a game, "only" 1/2 a point

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
my prediction is Barzal's stats are going to go down and his turnovers are going to go up as a result of Eberle's comment, he is a guy who has to skate around until he is seeing the right play, and for Ebrele to call him out like that is BS, even watching yesterday it seems he was alot quicker to pass and that is not a good thing, if Barzal is holding on to the puck for 85% of his lines shift it is ok with me, our offense starts and ends with him and our offense looked like garbage yesterday
I think this post is ridiculous. I am pretty sure Barzal can handle what Eberle said to the media, and has probably said to him in person. The kid holding on to the puck as much as ever, only lately he is trying these cute moves that are completely unnecessary.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I wouldn’t expect this load of garbage from anyone else

Reactions: wingnutks

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

but he also works hard backchecking, which is one of the things that JHS doesn't do.

yet. i hope.

one of the things that pisses me off, is that guys that commit the most give-aways... JT and Nelson, to name a few, seem to get a pass from Doug. i mentioned before that if he runs the team this way, he is going to start losing players, and i think that he is.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I wish I could see the game the way you do.:help:

Reactions: Eberzal

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I wouldn’t expect this load of garbage from anyone else

coming from a "fan" who openly admits to rooting against the Islanders I am not surprised at your lack of intelligence or your other agenda

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
coming from a "fan" who openly admits to rooting against the Islanders I am not surprised at your lack of intelligence or your other agenda
Can’t you get it through your thick skull that people are not openly “rooting against the Islanders”? They are rooting for what would hopefully bring about the culture change this team needs which is the clean out of the hockey operations department, everyone from the GM to the scouts.

Reactions: redbull

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Barzal had a terrible game, he's not been good lately. Still a superb talent but seems like teams are learning how to defend against him, reading his plays. He'll need to make adjustments - but that's what this league is. Adjustments. Some can do it and some can't.

Not down on him, still a superb player. I've seen the same in Mitch Marner who's eerily similar to Barzal in so many ways, ups and downs, it's going to happen, and elite players who work hard and have passion, can transform their game and continue to be impact players.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Can’t you get it through your thick skull that people are not openly “rooting against the Islanders”? They are rooting for what would hopefully bring about the culture change this team needs which is the clean out of the hockey operations department, everyone from the GM to the scouts.

if you are watching an Islander game and you are rooting for the opposing team to score more goals than the Islanders, you are rooting against the Islanders, the fact the Islanders "were" in a position to make the playoffs when these so called fans were doing it just makes it more insane

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
if you are watching an Islander game and you are rooting for the opposing team to score more goals than the Islanders, you are rooting against the Islanders, the fact the Islanders "were" in a position to make the playoffs when these so called fans were doing it just makes it more insane
Because these so called fans weren’t holding onto a pipe dream of being the 8th seed and getting bounced in the first round again. These so-called fans have seen this movie before and don’t like the ending. The team makes the playoffs, hopes to get a goalie hot and go on a run, and Snow’s job is saved for another year. We are tired of that.

There is something bigger in play here.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzal had a terrible game, he's not been good lately. Still a superb talent but seems like teams are learning how to defend against him, reading his plays. He'll need to make adjustments - but that's what this league is. Adjustments. Some can do it and some can't.

Not down on him, still a superb player. I've seen the same in Mitch Marner who's eerily similar to Barzal in so many ways, ups and downs, it's going to happen, and elite players who work hard and have passion, can transform their game and continue to be impact players.
Barzal has had a string of bad games the last few weeks. The same type of games that people here were jumping on Ho-Sang for. Not protecting the puck, giveaways, long shifts, curling around the O zone instead of passing or shooting. Just felt it needed to be pointed out here.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Because these so called fans weren’t holding onto a pipe dream of being the 8th seed and getting bounced in the first round again. These so-called fans have seen this movie before and don’t like the ending. The team makes the playoffs, hopes to get a goalie hot and go on a run, and Snow’s job is saved for another year. We are tired of that.

There is something bigger in play here.

so if Snow is going to get canned, Isles are going to be a contender in the next 3 years, maybe 4? which amazing GM is going to be brought in? I have seen this movie before, and it is always one "bad" GM after the other, only in the past the Islanders are usually out of a playoff contention by December or so, this year they were competitive through most of the year, one can make an argument they dropped out as soon as this Snow Must Go movement started, it seems a few players had an issue with it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
so if Snow is going to get canned, Isles are going to be a contender in the next 3 years, maybe 4? which amazing GM is going to be brought in? I have seen this movie before, and it is always one "bad" GM after the other, only in the past the Islanders are usually out of a playoff contention by December or so, this year they were competitive through most of the year, one can make an argument they dropped out as soon as this Snow Must Go movement started, it seems a few players had an issue with it.
So by your logic don’t move Snow out because we’ll just get another bad GM? Do nothing to change things? That’s insane. What are you so afraid of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad