Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So by your logic don’t move Snow out because we’ll just get another bad GM? Do nothing to change things? That’s insane.

I am not blaming Snow entirely on the Islanders failures, and as said if the Islanders are in a position to possibly to succeed, to root against them is what is insane, up until about a week ago the Islanders could have made the playoffs and they could have had a run, to root against them because you wanted Snow gone or another agenda is someone who is a piece of garbage and is a fake fan.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am not blaming Snow entirely on the Islanders failures, and as said if the Islanders are in a position to possibly to succeed, to root against them is what is insane, up until about a week ago the Islanders could have made the playoffs and they could have had a run, to root against them because you wanted Snow gone or another agenda is someone who is a piece of garbage and is a fake fan.
The Isles had as much chance of having a deep playoff run as of a few weeks ago as I have of being President of the United States.

Most people around here want better than “let’s get in the playoffs and roll the dice maybe we’ll get lucky and go far”. People want this team to always be in the conversation as a perennial cup contender. We are always in the conversation as a bubble team. A bubble team that has been trending in the wrong direction for the last two years, and the buck stops with Snow.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
The Isles had as much chance of having a deep playoff run as of a few weeks ago as I have of being President of the United States.

unless you are a prominent politician or another prominent person I am guessing that is a complete lie

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
unless you are a prominent politician or another prominent person I am guessing that is a complete lie
Actually, no. This team neither has the goaltending to go far unless you’re praying Halak gets hot, or up until 2 weeks ago weren’t buttoned up enough defensively to be a serious contender. By the time the TDL came around the team was too far out of it.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

This team is so flawed, they would not have had a "run". They wouldn't win a single game in a playoff series against any of the top 5 eastern teams.

Because certain fans feels losing is the key to getting rid of inept management doesn't make them any less of fans than you or anyone else. In fact if losing is going to get rid of f***ing Snow and the other clowns than I hope they lose every f***ing game.

As a side note in relation to this thread, Barzal hasn't played his best hockey lately. But he has been the teams best player all year, take him off this team and it's a bottom 3 roster in the league. Barzal is nothing short of a blessing. The rest of the roster has been mia for the entire year.

This team is a f***ing disaster, Barzal is the last f***ing player anyone should be complaining about. It's a joke, just like the players that surround Barzal.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Still Can't believe you got this kid for Reinhart lol. I also have no idea why Boston passed on him. Kid is a beast. There were a lot of posters that had him top ten. I didn't but man was I wrong.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
so if Snow is going to get canned, Isles are going to be a contender in the next 3 years, maybe 4? which amazing GM is going to be brought in? I have seen this movie before, and it is always one "bad" GM after the other, only in the past the Islanders are usually out of a playoff contention by December or so, this year they were competitive through most of the year, one can make an argument they dropped out as soon as this Snow Must Go movement started, it seems a few players had an issue with it.

Wait, so you're saying the players are playing bad because of the Snow Must Go movement? Seriously?

Well, if we're talking crazy theories, here's mine - what if the current losing streak is the players supporting the Snow Must Go movement? They know he's not going anywhere unless the team tanks spectacularly and they're on a great way to do that right now. It's like they want Snow gone! You know, thank you, because suddenly I have very high hopes for this team, they know what they have to do to win! :sarcasm:

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
my prediction is Barzal's stats are going to go down and his turnovers are going to go up as a result of Eberle's comment, he is a guy who has to skate around until he is seeing the right play, and for Ebrele to call him out like that is BS, even watching yesterday it seems he was alot quicker to pass and that is not a good thing, if Barzal is holding on to the puck for 85% of his lines shift it is ok with me, our offense starts and ends with him and our offense looked like garbage yesterday

Eberle's comments will have zero effect on Barzal, other than a positive one. Why do you keep thinking players are so fragile?

I wish I could see the game the way you do.:help:

No, you don't.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Eberle's comments will have zero effect on Barzal, other than a positive one. Why do you keep thinking players are so fragile?

nope, as I said yesterday, I noticed Barzal seemed to be looking to pass alot earlier than he is used to, why do you think our Offense looked so pathetic yesterday, Barzal is our offense

and it is not a matter of being fragile, Barzal is not going to want to show up a vet, so he is going to take his words into consideration, when he should be doing what he wants to do which is how he has been so successful.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
nope, as I said yesterday, I noticed Barzal seemed to be looking to pass alot earlier than he is used to, why do you think our Offense looked so pathetic yesterday, Barzal is our offense

and it is not a matter of being fragile, Barzal is not going to want to show up a vet, so he is going to take his words into consideration, when he should be doing what he wants to do which is how he has been so successful.

He should absolutely be moving the puck sooner.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
He should absolutely be moving the puck sooner.

well if you want the Islanders to suck and our offense to suck, than that is a good idea, he should be doing what he wants to do, if it is moving the puck sooner because he is seeing an opportunity, or holding on to it for 30 seconds because he does not see anything, he is the team at the moment and without him this team is a large pile of garbage

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
well if you want the Islanders to suck and our offense to suck, than that is a good idea, he should be doing what he wants to do, if it is moving the puck sooner because he is seeing an opportunity, or holding on to it for 30 seconds because he does not see anything, he is the team at the moment and without him this team is a large pile of garbage

Letting good players do whatever they want isn't a recipe for success.

Have you noticed Barzal struggling a bit more on a shift by shift basis? It's not because he's moving the puck too quickly, it's because he's holding it too long. The defenders are figuring out his tendencies and are adjusting. Did you see McDavid just poke the puck away last night? It's because Barzal is becoming more predictable. McDavid didn't even come close to biting on the move Barzal was putting on. He's still a tremendous player, so it will work sometimes, but he needs to adapt. When you become a one trick pony you're easy to defend. There are also windows that get closed because you hold the puck too long, making it more difficult for your teammates to get open. It's hockey 101, move the puck.

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
There was a players named Gretzky that played the same way because the other players were brutal, they never seen anything like it.

You also have to remember these players Ho-Sang as well are at a different level. These kids are fast, it’s a new generation. You think McDavid never made errors like that, are you kidding me.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Still Can't believe you got this kid for Reinhart lol. I also have no idea why Boston passed on him. Kid is a beast. There were a lot of posters that had him top ten. I didn't but man was I wrong.

15 players were drafted before him. BOS only gets flack because of their 3 in a row.

Happens every year, a great player slips down.

Chiarelli made a bad decision in thinking Reinhart was going to be a good defenseman - took a shot and missed. If Garth was so good at the draft we can go over all the picks he's missed on since being in charge. There are many.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
15 players were drafted before him. BOS only gets flack because of their 3 in a row.

Happens every year, a great player slips down.

Chiarelli made a bad decision in thinking Reinhart was going to be a good defenseman - took a shot and missed. If Garth was so good at the draft we can go over all the picks he's missed on since being in charge. There are many.
Anyone who saw Reinhart for 5 minutes would know he was a colossal bust and would never amount to anything. There's no excuse for Chiarelli's complete stupidity here.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There was a players named Gretzky that played the same way because the other players were brutal, they never seen anything like it.

You also have to remember these players Ho-Sang as well are at a different level. These kids are fast, it’s a new generation. You think McDavid never made errors like that, are you kidding me.

No, but they are errors and players should always strive to correct them. Nobody is saying he's bad.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i haven't been able to watch complete games for the past few weeks, since i have been on vacation, so i have to ask this question to my fellow Ilses fans.

where do you see the majority of Barzal's errors? are his passes being intercepted? are opposing players stripping the puck from him? is he not putting in the effort? is he getting knocked off of the puck?

i do have limited viewing, so i have an opinion, but i would certainly say that it is not based on all that he's done.

seems to me that his passes are getting intercepted more. call it giveaways, whatever. i still see him working hard in both ends of the ice, and i don't see him getting stripped of the puck, or getting knocked off of it.

what does this indicate to me? that he is over-passing. he is being asked to pass it more, in order to be a better team player, but it's taking away from his strength. the strength of being 'sneaky'.

faking and dancing on his blades, twisting and turning. master of lateral movement. passing and shooting when it is unexpected (i wish he would shoot more). his abilities in these areas are what sets him apart from the vast majority of other NHL players.

so, does he need to pass more? i am not sure.

i think it is better to let him be himself, do all the things that has made him so successful, and find players/wingers that compliment his style, than ask him to change.

what do you guys think?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
i haven't been able to watch complete games for the past few weeks, since i have been on vacation, so i have to ask this question to my fellow Ilses fans.

where do you see the majority of Barzal's errors? are his passes being intercepted? are opposing players stripping the puck from him? is he not putting in the effort? is he getting knocked off of the puck?

i do have limited viewing, so i have an opinion, but i would certainly say that it is not based on all that he's done.

seems to me that his passes are getting intercepted more. call it giveaways, whatever. i still see him working hard in both ends of the ice, and i don't see him getting stripped of the puck, or getting knocked off of it.

what does this indicate to me? that he is over-passing. he is being asked to pass it more, in order to be a better team player, but it's taking away from his strength. the strength of being 'sneaky'.

faking and dancing on his blades, twisting and turning. master of lateral movement. passing and shooting when it is unexpected (i wish he would shoot more). his abilities in these areas are what sets him apart from the vast majority of other NHL players.

so, does he need to pass more? i am not sure.

i think it is better to let him be himself, do all the things that has made him so successful, and find players/wingers that compliment his style, than ask him to change.

what do you guys think?

I haven't watched a game in a while, but from the games I did watch, he needs to shoot more. He is forcing some plays that aren't there. He is a phenomenal passer, but every pass isn't going to be a beauty. Sometimes he's gotta make the safe play instead of the pretty play. I also think he needs to shoot more when he has the chance. He's always looking to be the set up man. I honestly think if he would shoot more, it'd make him even more dynamic. It will keep defenders and goalies alike on their toes. Right now, it seems that everyone is kinda catching on to the fact that he's looking to pass. He has only scored 3 goals in the last 2 months. When he had 15 goals on 1/13, I thought he was a shoe in for 25+. Now I think he might not even hit 20

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

No, you don't.

What were Eberles comments? I haven’t been paying attention the last week or two. Thanks.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
What is everyone going to do when Barzal has a sophomore slump next year, should be interesting.

His skating may be too good honestly. Not every player has that. It’s usually more common among those who aren’t great skaters or are small. He’s somewhat small I guess for a forward nowadays but not THAT small.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
His skating may be too good honestly. Not every player has that. It’s usually more common among those who aren’t great skaters or are small. He’s somewhat small I guess for a forward nowadays but not THAT small.

that's ridiculous. Mitch Marner had only a total of 2 goals as of December this year, and William Nylander also struggled, especially when Matthews was hurt. I'd say even Auston Matthews disappeared for a handful of game and looked invisible. Jack Eichel had a really slow start. Even McDavid went through a dry period, Laine.

Speed has nothing to do with it at all. It's not that I believe in anything having to with their sophomore year specifically, but I've heard Ray Ferraro suggest that once the league (and opposing coaches in pre-scouting) study a player's tendencies and prepare the team, it becomes more difficult to play the same way, forcing you to adjust.

I think we saw some of that the last few games, especially in EDM where he was kept to the outside so much and either poke-checked or turned the puck over rather than create a scoring chance.

He's a superb talent, for sure, but to suggest he's slump-prove is off-base.

Ho-Sang is also super-quick by the way. Hasn't helped him much in the NHL or AHL this season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'd be shocked if he didn't slump if Tavares isn't here at the start of next year.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If Tavares isn't here next year, Barzal's production will go down even without a slump, since he would be going against the top d-men of the opposing team.

Speed has nothing to do with it at all. It's not that I believe in anything having to with their sophomore year specifically, but I've heard Ray Ferraro suggest that once the league (and opposing coaches in pre-scouting) study a player's tendencies and prepare the team, it becomes more difficult to play the same way, forcing you to adjust.

I think we saw some of that the last few games, especially in EDM where he was kept to the outside so much and either poke-checked or turned the puck over rather than create a scoring chance.

It had to happen, it was just a matter of time. That's why he needs to move the puck faster and constantly work on his game and not just "do his thing".
(That is in no way aimed at you, redbull, I just remember I'd read something about how the team should just let Barzal do whatever he wants in some other thread because it works. And yes, it sure does. For now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad