Player Discussion Mason McTavish

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If McTavish was playing on LA he'd have 50 points right now. What he's doing on this team with the roster the Ducks have is pretty good.

I'm impressed that he's been putting up points despite playing shitting after returning from injury. I still think he's playing through injury since he needed an extra day off after all-star break. I'm more impressed Mac unlocked the offensive potential with Lundy and Silf, while letting the two of them do 90% of the heavy workload.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think that may have been one massively clutch and high profile defensive play that led to his defensive game being oversold.

In reality, no one really comes into the league as a defensive stalwart right away. Especially not players who were drafted early for their offensive potential. McTavish is still young and has plenty of time to learn how to balance out his game. He cares about winning, I think he'll get there.

I don't recall anyone saying Mac will be like Kesler defensively, especially when the guy drafted in front of him plays defense like Kelser in Matty Beniers. Beniers is the faster skater and possesses a shutdown defensive acumen, but is still trying to show off some offensive skills.

The CHL isn't known for playing defense and the transition will be steeper than someone coming from the NCAA or Europe. Leo is better defensively than Mac right now b/c the SHL rarely allows odd-man rushes in games from all teams, that's how their game is taught and played across the pond.

Year 1 in NHL, get introduced to the NHL. ✅
Year 2 in the NHL, improve offense. ✅
Year 3 in the NHL, improve defense. TBD

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I always get a little nervous of a center that plays with a shoot first mentality because of what can happen with rebounds creating a transition going the other way and you’re stuck with your center out of position defensively. In theory I understand that forwards should be operating with an F1/F2/F3 so another forward should be covering, but in practice centers generally tilt towards F3.
Works for Matthews.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I always get a little nervous of a center that plays with a shoot first mentality because of what can happen with rebounds creating a transition going the other way and you’re stuck with your center out of position defensively. In theory I understand that forwards should be operating with an F1/F2/F3 so another forward should be covering, but in practice centers generally tilt towards F3.
I guess I agree but for a somewhat different reason - kinda tough to find playmaking wingers for them although we have Terry and Zegs so we’d be fine. That said I don’t think McT is too much on the shooting end of things. Matthews is honestly way too much of a shooter for me but he’s just so good.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder who will ultimately be better between him and Zegras? Can see an argument for either at this point. I think McTavish has pushed ahead right now but Zegras has slightly higher upside
i expected better from mctavish defensively, I think zegras potential is higher.

im curious if gauthier ever ends up the 2c and both mctavish and zegras move to wing. Carlsson mctavish zegras and gautheir all being potential top 6 centers is crazy young center depth…. And there’s a chance we still end up with celebrini/lindstrom on top of that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
i expected better from mctavish defensively, I think zegras potential is higher.

im curious if gauthier ever ends up the 2c and both mctavish and zegras move to wing. Carlsson mctavish zegras and gautheir all being potential top 6 centers is crazy young center depth…. And there’s a chance we still end up with celebrini/lindstrom on top of that.
Zegras was pretty bad defensively 2 years ago and McTavish is almost 2 years younger than Z. It’s a close comparison

I don’t see Gauthier being as good as either

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Zegras was pretty bad defensively 2 years ago and McTavish is almost 2 years younger than Z. It’s a close comparison

I don’t see Gauthier being as good as either
ya I think my expectations on his defensive side of the puck were much higher than my expectations on zegras.

/shrug we’ll have to wait and see…. Maybe we use gauthier as a Jordan staal and build a 3rd line around him

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s remarkable how good his playmaking is becoming. He could be a 45+ assist guy at some point

Mac has had playmaking skill since his WJC-18. He got a bad rap from some on here and the media saying he's only a shooter. My favorite pass at the WJC-18 was Mac sliding the puck forward between two defenders to Othmann for a scoring chance. Othmann tried to score between his legs on that break.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I just posted in the Injury thread about whats going on with Mac.. His body language says it all.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
You don’t play through disc issues. You rest them and take anti inflammatory meds so you don’t wind up with permanent nerve damage.
Depends on where the tear is. I've played through it before. Yes it was a stupid decision. But if did. And yes I did take anti inflammatory. I'm seeing mason play and I just the same shit over and over. He def has a back issue

You can hurt your back without it being a disc issue lol.
Yah I know that. But if is been bothering him this long. Than it's not a muscle issue

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
As someone who has had multiple back injuries, including surgery, you know nothing from watching a clip like that. Could it be disc related? Sure. Could it be a high grade strain? yup. Could it be due to something like his leg? absolutely. Would they continue to let him play if it was a "severe disc injury"? Hell no. If hes walking around and more important, skating and taking hits without doubling over in pain and unable to move, I highly doubt its "severe".

Even if it was just a bulging disc, I doubt the medical staff would clear him to play due to the chances of making it way worse by playing.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Depends on where the tear is. I've played through it before. Yes it was a stupid decision. But if did. And yes I did take anti inflammatory. I'm seeing mason play and I just the same shit over and over. He def has a back issue

Yah I know that. But if is been bothering him this long. Than it's not a muscle issue

I know from personal experience this is just wrong.
Back spasms from back muscle injuries linger for a long time and they are like core muscle injuries where the only way they really heal is if you shut it down 100%.

You can play through them because its just pain, but anyone who has had bac kor neck muscle injuries will tell you that you feel completely different when going through them.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I know from personal experience this is just wrong.
Back spasms from back muscle injuries linger for a long time and they are like core muscle injuries where the only way they really heal is if you shut it down 100%.

You can play through them because its just pain, but anyone who has had bac kor neck muscle injuries will tell you that you feel completely different when going through them.
I have a bad disc. It's a bitch and sometimes my sciatica is killer. Can't walk

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Taking anti inflammatories/analgesics to keep playing like you normally do with a disc injury is a really, really good way to talk to a neurosurgeon.

Many dog owners have ignored me on that advice to their dog’s detriment.

Reactions: Gliff

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think you're kind of making my point. A bad disc is a injury that could have lasting effects. It isnt like playing through a pulled muscle or bone bruise. No way he plays through that for a team in the bottom 3 of the league. it isnt like we are in the final.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

I had a microdiscectomy to fix a 10mm bulge causing sciatica and other issues. I couldnt move without being bent over, if I could move at all. Even that wasnt "severe". It was a bitch, but the remedy was an out patient procedure and I was back to 100% in 3 months.

McT is skating and taking hits.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Taking anti inflammatories/analgesics to keep playing like you normally do with a disc injury is a really, really good way to talk to a neurosurgeon.

Many dog owners have ignored me on that advice to their dog’s detriment.
Are you a vet?>

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I had the same from a skiing accident. Had a really simple discectomy and was 100% healed. Walked out of the surgery center and was perfectly fine 2 hours after surgery. If you wait too long you can get long term nerve damage.

I had a microdiscectomy to fix a 10mm bulge causing sciatica and other issues. I couldnt move without being bent over, if I could move at all. Even that wasnt "severe". It was a bitch, but the remedy was an out patient procedure and I was back to 100% in 3 months.

McT is skating and taking hits.
Oh shit, same thing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad