Player Discussion Mason McTavish

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I recall last year's first game of the St. Louis back-to-back set. Eakins decided to move Strome from 2C to 2RW and Mac from 4C to 2C. Zegras, of course, was 1C. We were thoroughly dominated in the first two periods. The only line that did anything worthwhile was the Mac line.

In the third period, Eakins broke the up 2nd line by putting Strome back at 2C, Mac at 3C, and, subsequently, Lundy shifted down to 4C. That realignment worked better. Eakins kept the same third period setup in the second of the back-to-back games and we continued to perform stronger than the first games' first two periods. We got heavier down the middle when we split Strome and Mac.

Although Mac is listed as 3C recently, he's playing above 2C Groulx in minutes in our last game.

Cronin's trying to spread the heaviness in the top-9.

Line 1: Rico - Carlsson - Strome (Heavy)
Line 2a: Lundy (grinder) - Mac (heavy) - Silf (grinder)
Line 2b: Vatrano - Groulx (heavy) - Terry

Cronin is having trouble scoring with his offensive scheme and decides to move players around than change his offensive scheme. Right now, it looks like moving the deck chairs around has worked. Mac's line is listed as the 3rd line, they're our best line during this 4-game point streak.

Reactions: Hinterland

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wanted to chime in on the McTavish to wing discussion but it seems to sprawl multiple threads.

I'm still a believer that Mac is suited better for a center role. My impression of his deficiencies is he's not up to par with his core strength yet. It feels like his balance navigating through traffic isn't as good as it could be and a lot of the times he either falls or will be off kilter while trying to sidestep guys or he'll peel away from traffic and look for a hand-off pass.

I don't think this is an issue that will necessarily keep up as he continues developing. This was a similar issue with Terry before he broke out. Once Troy built up his core strength and added mass, he's been able to have the confidence and ability to beat defenders or at least get separation consistently.

As it relates to Cutter taking the 2C spot, I just feel like it's premature to say that he will have what it takes to handle that role in the NHL. From what I've seen from him, yes he has the right stuff to be a strong two way player, but I've noticed that in the offensive zone he really doesn't have a tendency to try to take the puck past traffic to attack the net directly. A lot of his shots are from the wing or the high slot. He favors the wings already in his attempts to keep separation from defenders and even as a center for BC I haven't seen him have a good habit of going to the front of the net.

Is that something that can be worked on? Sure. But he has all different kinds of things to adapt to the NHL level before you get into the right tendencies to be a top 6 NHL center.

Just my observations. I could be way off but if I had to bet money I'd say they keep Mac at 2c and Cutter will likely be tested as a winger for Leo or Mac and whoever he has better chemistry with, that's the wing he'll get stapled to.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It was Cronin after the Dec 27th game against Vegas:

View attachment 813832
He didn’t say build but he said you can “anchor your third line around” which is pretty inaccurate based on Leasons skill set and play up to now.

Stome is exactly what a third liner is. Killorn will be on the second line with Mctavish IMO. And I do t really see any high scoring players other than maybe Regenda or maybe Nest.

So in my opinion, to make a three scoring line team, the Ducks would need some more actual NHL scorers. Until that happens(if it ever can), I prefer Mctavish playing more minutes with higher skilled players.

Cronin made the comment and then Leason was healthy scratched two games later. Third line building block to press box rather quickly

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Cronin made the comment and then Leason was healthy scratched two games later. Third line building block to press box rather quickly
In his defense, he said he's a guy you can try to anchor your third line around - not that you should or he would :naughty:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Show your Mac love people….

Mason McTavish Playing GREAT

7 points in 4 games!
Producing is not playing great! It'd be different if he was some 30-something flawed finished products who we didn't have higher hopes for but he's not. He can't be Stroking it up out there for most of the game and rest on a good 5 minute stretch in the 2nd.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's great that he's producing, but I don't think he's playing well. He needs to be so much better defensively and stop taking horrible penalties. A lot has to do with keeping his feet moving and resisting the feeling that he needs to cheat.

Meh he is producing and on a terrible team that can't defend overall, he'll mature out of that. I'm happy he is producing. When we are competitive again then will need to worry about his defense and taking penalties so has plenty of time to develop that part of his game.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Meh he is producing and on a terrible team that can't defend overall, he'll mature out of that. I'm happy he is producing. When we are competitive again then will need to worry about his defense and taking penalties so has plenty of time to develop that part of his game.
I'd rather he be playing well overall and NOT producing due to bad luck or poor teammates. The prognosis for him was as a potential Kesler replacement - a tough to play against, two-way center who could create offense and eventually take some tough defensive assignments. He does not appear to be on his way to that.

He's falling all over the ice, he's taking bad penalties, and while I agree there's time for him to mature defensively, he also hasn't taken a noticeable step forward in that regard this season. That's confusing, especially when the coach we hired is supposedly better at developing both individual and team defense.

Sorry, I know that's gloomy, but that's how I feel about this team right now. On the positive side, he seems to know his way around the offensive zone well enough to get himself into dangerous scoring areas. And his shot is great. And he's good at faceoffs, if you care about that sort of thing.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It might be just me but I’m not at all concerned about his defensive game. Maybe he improves a lot and that will be great but maybe he doesn’t and only gets a little better. He’s still a great player to have, most players have flaws.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I'd rather he be playing well overall and NOT producing due to bad luck or poor teammates. The prognosis for him was as a potential Kesler replacement - a tough to play against, two-way center who could create offense and eventually take some tough defensive assignments. He does not appear to be on his way to that.

He's falling all over the ice, he's taking bad penalties, and while I agree there's time for him to mature defensively, he also hasn't taken a noticeable step forward in that regard this season. That's confusing, especially when the coach we hired is supposedly better at developing both individual and team defense.

Sorry, I know that's gloomy, but that's how I feel about this team right now. On the positive side, he seems to know his way around the offensive zone well enough to get himself into dangerous scoring areas. And his shot is great. And he's good at faceoffs, if you care about that sort of thing.
idk who said he was comparable to Kesler but he was never that in JRs. (at least with the Bulldogs)

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It might be just me but I’m not at all concerned about his defensive game. Maybe he improves a lot and that will be great but maybe he doesn’t and only gets a little better. He’s still a great player to have, most players have flaws.

No one is running him out of town, but there does need to be serious thought given to moving McT to the wing and keeping Z at center long term.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
No one is running him out of town, but there does need to be serious thought given to moving McT to the wing and keeping Z at center long term.
I’m not sure Z would be any better at C defensively, certainly right now we couldn’t conclude on that. Unless this is for reasons other than defense.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
idk who said he was comparable to Kesler but he was never that in JRs. (at least with the Bulldogs)
I don't think he was being compared to Kesler in strict terms according to play style, but more that he could fill a similar role for the Ducks. A good-sized, two-way, second line center who wasn't going to be a point-per-game player, but could be a leader through his play and attitude.

I like McTavish, and think he'll be a valuable member of the team going forward. But there's no sense that he knows his way around the defensive zone, and his possession numbers are bad. He's the worst forward on the team for expected goals against.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There are 31 other teams that would LOVE to have McTavish on their team. He is the least of the problems the Ducks face going forward.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I’m not sure Z would be any better at C defensively, certainly right now we couldn’t conclude on that. Unless this is for reasons other than defense.

I'm certainly not sure Z is any worse defensively and I definitely like Z with the puck on his stick on breakouts more. Let McT be a forechecker and find soft spots in the o-zone from the wing. Put him with Z and he can take faceoffs for Z too.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
McTavish has produced with pretty much anyone he's been put with this season. Try Lundestrom (can help with some of the defensive responsibility) with McTavish and Terry and move Vatrano with Carlsson to give him a goal scorer... have Henrique with them to (hopefully) pad stats until a trade, then Strome maybe until Zegras comes back. Even Lundy was producing with Mac (small sample size). This is a lost season, might as well experiment and see what works.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
The kid had his first legal drink like 3 weeks ago. Hes showing vast improvement as time goes on. He will be fine and he will be your 2nd line center for the next 12+ years.

Zegras will be treated like Henrique. Center when/if they need him to, but mainly a winger.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The conversation took an awkward turn. We went from contesting if production = playing great to questioning Mac's future. What the hell?! hahhahahaha

This is Mac's sophomore season in the NHL. When the season started, Mac was producing close to a point per game rate and was okay defensively before his Dec 2nd injury, game 24. (IIRC, he banged up his back a couple of games earlier.) He was literally carrying Vatrano and Strome. Mac had 21 points in 20 games and -2 rating in his first 20 games. But since his return from injury, he doesn't skate or play the same way. And yet, he's still able to find ways to put up points.

McTavish2023-24splits
Game SetGamesGAPtspts/G+/-
Total
48​
17​
21​
38​
0.79​
-17​
1 to 20
20​
10​
11​
21​
1.05​
-2​
21 to 24
4​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
-7​
24 to 48
24​
7​
10​
17​
0.71​
-8​

Just my opinion, but Mac looks like he's playing through a "medically cleared injury". I'm surprised he's scoring as much while playing bad. Currently, Mac's got 38 points in 48 games. He's five points away from matching his production total from last year, which was 43 points in 80 games (0.54 pts/G rate).

I'm not going to worry about Mac's game this season. It's a development season for him to where he improved offensively and at the faceoff dot. Mac generates offense with two sets of wingers in Vatrano-Strome as well as Lundy-Silf. That's pretty impressive on paper, despite him looking like shit on the ice post injury return.

If Mac's play post injury continues next season, then I'm gonna start worrying. Mac doesn't have a problem putting in more work in the gym or the ice. Since this year was to improve his offense and faceoffs, maybe next off-season is to continue to get stronger in his legs (to keep from falling over so much b/c he might be built top heavy) and be better defensively. I remember Getz being asked a question on some podcast of if he'd take veteran Crosby or a newly drafted McDavid and Getz responded with Crosby. The reason behind that was that all of these offensive wunderkinds take years to develop that two-way play. Mac is in the middle of his second season in the NHL. Let's give him more time to develop that two-way game as well as see if he looks better healthy with an off-season to recuperate completely.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If McTavish was playing on LA he'd have 50 points right now. What he's doing on this team with the roster the Ducks have is pretty good.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I think that may have been one massively clutch and high profile defensive play that led to his defensive game being oversold.

In reality, no one really comes into the league as a defensive stalwart right away. Especially not players who were drafted early for their offensive potential. McTavish is still young and has plenty of time to learn how to balance out his game. He cares about winning, I think he'll get there.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I always get a little nervous of a center that plays with a shoot first mentality because of what can happen with rebounds creating a transition going the other way and you’re stuck with your center out of position defensively. In theory I understand that forwards should be operating with an F1/F2/F3 so another forward should be covering, but in practice centers generally tilt towards F3.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad