Player Discussion Mason McTavish

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I was today old when i found out he was born in czech.....granted his dad was playing out there when he was born, but doesnt that make him a citizen?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I was waiting for his last game in the preseason because the first one felt like he was not yet ready because of the missed time. It looked like he played much better, I hope there's more in him.

The season starts soon, exciting to see how he plays, albeit I'm on the 'conservative' side on expectations for him this season. I actually cannot wait for the next season. He should have an entire off-season (I'd expect him to go to WC) to train and prepare for this year. Last year was nuts for him, it's hard to understand even, but it mustn't been easy, and then he had no to little time to rest or train.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was waiting for his last game in the preseason because the first one felt like he was not yet ready because of the missed time. It looked like he played much better, I hope there's more in him.

The season starts soon, exciting to see how he plays, albeit I'm on the 'conservative' side on expectations for him this season. I actually cannot wait for the next season. He should have an entire off-season (I'd expect him to go to WC) to train and prepare for this year. Last year was nuts for him, it's hard to understand even, but it mustn't been easy, and then he had no to little time to rest or train.

If there is any indication of how he will be , based on his last preseason game, then I’m very hopeful he can make an immediate impact.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If there is any indication of how he will be , based on his last preseason game, then I’m very hopeful he can make an immediate impact.
Offensively yes, physically he can engage in some battles but most of the NHL players will push him around, it seemed. But he has this little-bit-of-everything toolbox, he showed some nice skating, hands, etc. So yeah. it's a matter of patience as well, but certainly looked like McTavish-Strome-Terry line could do some damage.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was today old when i found out he was born in czech.....granted his dad was playing out there when he was born, but doesnt that make him a citizen?
Pretty sure they don't do birthright citizenship there the way we understand it. It's jus sanguinis, by descent from the grandparents I think (to be automatic). Doesn't mean he's not a citizen of Czechia but if so I think he'd have had to naturalize (unless his grandparents are from there??).

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
The Athletic staff poll voting prediction for the Calder:

1665508269616.png

Reactions: Leonardo87

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
The Athletic staff poll voting prediction for the Calder:

View attachment 592500

I guess I thought Beniers was more of a two-way player than an offensive one? Has a player like that ever won the Calder?

That said, I think we look back at the "McTavish has a shot at the Calder" comments and chuckle. Just don't see him coming out of the gates making a huge impact, even if I do think he will be an impact player in his career.

Reactions: Hinterland

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think NHL.com has that wrong, everywhere else has him as being born in Switzerland, and his dad was playing there when he was born. He is in fact a dual citizen of Switzerland and I believe that was a pretty big factor in him going to play there in his draft year.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I guess I thought Beniers was more of a two-way player than an offensive one? Has a player like that ever won the Calder?

That said, I think we look back at the "McTavish has a shot at the Calder" comments and chuckle. Just don't see him coming out of the gates making a huge impact, even if I do think he will be an impact player in his career.
I think the reasoning behind picking Beniers is he'll have a lot of opportunity to provide offense while centering Seattle's top line between Burakovsky and McCann.

Power is the pick for me at the moment. And I agree that McTavish probably won't set the league on fire just yet.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think NHL.com has that wrong, everywhere else has him as being born in Switzerland, and his dad was playing there when he was born. He is in fact a dual citizen of Switzerland and I believe that was a pretty big factor in him going to play there in his draft year.
No, he's not. You're confusing him with Brennan Othmann. When covid19 became a thing, Othmann's uncle Robert who does have a Swiss passport and is still based in Switzerland wisely organized a passport for Brennan and that allowed Brennan to join Olten months ahead of Mason who had to wait until his 18th birthday to play in Switzerland. Mason's father Dale doesn't have Swiss citizenship either so it would be next to impossible for Mason to get a Swiss passport anytime soon.

However, because it was in Switzerland where Mason started playing hockey and I think he played there for 3 or 4 years, he does have a Swiss playing licence. Without that licence he couldn't have played for Olten who was allowed to dress just two imports. Those import slots are usually all filled when the season starts and you need a bit of luck and try hard to get one of these slots later in the season. The Oilers tried hard and found slots for their prospects Benson and McLeod but not everybody was as successful as them. So that Swiss hockey licence definitely helped but Mason doesn't have a Swiss passport. At least he didn't have one back there and I doubt that has changed.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I agree with your post completely. Expecting big things from McTavish but not next season. I expect him to be depth player this season and have a real impact a year later. Him not having an offseason in a while and being injured won't allow him to play the minutes he'd need to make a real impact. Probably will get scratched here and then to keep him fresh and healthy because his conditioning can't be anywhere near where it should be.

If Beniers is to win it, it's because he'll get a lot of icetime but much like McTavish I think his chances are very slim. Power is honestly your best bet. Thompson, who should be Vegas' nr.1 this season has a good chance as well and so does Perfetti. Wouldn't write off Holloway if he can stick with Draisaitl.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Beniers is to win it, it's because he'll get a lot of icetime but much like McTavish I think his chances are very slim. Power is honestly your best bet. Thompson, who should be Vegas' nr.1 this season has a good chance as well and so does Perfetti. Wouldn't write off Holloway if he can stick with Draisaitl.
I think if Beniers wins it, it will be because he's a f***ing great prospect and player.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think if Beniers wins it, it will be because he's a f***ing great prospect and player.
Nah, it would be because he's gonna get more minutes than all other forwards at least. There's no chance he's better than Perfetti. At least not at this point but I wouldn't expect Perfetti to get the same role with the Jets than Beniers is gonna get in Seattle. Still think that Perfetti is easily gonna outscore Beniers but we'll see. It's probably a stupid discussion anyway because Power is simply too good not to win it. If Power stays healthy, the only guy who could realistically steal his lunch is Thompson but to do that he'd need to stand on his head all season long.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Nah, it would be because he's gonna get more minutes than all other forwards at least. There's no chance he's better than Perfetti. At least not at this point but I wouldn't expect Perfetti to get the same role with the Jets than Beniers is gonna get in Seattle. Still think that Perfetti is easily gonna outscore Beniers but we'll see. It's probably a stupid discussion anyway because Power is simply too good not to win it. If Power stays healthy, the only guy who could realistically steal his lunch is Thompson but to do that he'd need to stand on his head all season long.
According to Hinterland. There's no way you actually watched Beniers play full games and think some of what you are posting.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
According to Hinterland. There's no way you actually watched Beniers play full games and think some of what you are posting.
I did and he was actually lucky last season. His shooting percentage isn't sustainable either. Clearly a good bloke but I still don't think he should have went 2nd overall. Huge mistake by Seattle not to take Hughes or Clarke. Those guys should have went 2nd and 3rd overall. I kinda understand the Sharks, Bluejackets and Ducks to go with high end skill forwards instead but Seattle as an expansion team really should have went BPA and that was Hughes. I always said that Luke is gonna be the best of the Hughes bro's because he's just as skilled but bigger and tougher than his brothers. So far, I have no reason to change my opinion about this draft class. I still like the guys I used to like and I still find Guenther, Boucher and Beniers rather underwhelming compared to their draft position. The only top pick who grew on me a little bit is Edvinsson.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The two-way player description came about the 2020-21 WJC-20 usage of Beniers as a shutdown center. That WJC-20 team had a lot of 2019 draftees and Beniers is a 2021 draftee.

WJC-20 forward scorers ahead of Beniers from 2019 draft:
Zegras, 18 pts​
Turcotte, 8 pts​
Kaliyev, 8 pts​
Boldy, 7 pts​
Farinacci, 7 pts​
Brink, 6 pts​
Caufield, 5 pts​
===========​
Beniers, 3 pts​

Beniers College production at NCAA
D+0: 24 games, 10g + 14a = 24 pts (1.00 ppg)​
D+1: 37 games, 20g + 23a = 43 pts (1.16 ppg)​
He finished third in scoring in his D+0 and first in his D+1 season for the team.​

Then in his 10-game stint at the end of NHL season, he put up 3g + 6a in 10 games (0.90 ppg). Beniers is probably underrated for his offense because of his shutdown capabilities from the WJC-20.

Going into this season, he'll probably have newly acquired Burakovsky on his wing to add more offensive potential.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The two-way player description came about the 2020-21 WJC-20 usage of Beniers as a shutdown center. That WJC-20 team had a lot of 2019 draftees and Beniers is a 2021 draftee.

WJC-20 forward scorers ahead of Beniers from 2019 draft:
Zegras, 18 pts​
Turcotte, 8 pts​
Kaliyev, 8 pts​
Boldy, 7 pts​
Farinacci, 7 pts​
Brink, 6 pts​
Caufield, 5 pts​
===========​
Beniers, 3 pts​

Beniers College production at NCAA
D+0: 24 games, 10g + 14a = 24 pts (1.00 ppg)​
D+1: 37 games, 20g + 23a = 43 pts (1.16 ppg)​
He finished third in scoring in his D+0 and first in his D+1 season for the team.​

Then in his 10-game stint at the end of NHL season, he put up 3g + 6a in 10 games (0.90 ppg). Beniers is probably underrated for his offense because of his shutdown capabilities from the WJC-20.

Going into this season, he'll probably have newly acquired Burakovsky on his wing to add more offensive potential.
It has nothing to do with that but Beniers just doesn't have the hands to justifiy a top10 pick in what's probably gonna be a strong draft class with so many elite defenders and a few forwards with exceptional hands like Eklund, Johnson or McTavish. Beniers is gonna be a good player but he's not as gifted as other forwards and I still think the defenders are likely gonna be even better than the forwards.

In my view, you're a grade a moron if you draft Beniers when you could have Luke Hughes instead. Especially if you're an expansion team. If you're an established team with a full defense pipeline it's something different but for Seattle there was no reason to draft a forward 2nd overall, let alone friggen Beniers. Again, this is nothing against Beniers who's gonna be a very good NHL player. It's just that there were better options.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It has nothing to do with that but Beniers just doesn't have the hands to justifiy a top10 pick in what's probably gonna be a strong draft class with so many elite defenders and a few forwards with exceptional hands like Eklund, Johnson or McTavish. Beniers is gonna be a good player but he's not as gifted as other forwards and I still think the defenders are likely gonna be even better than the forwards.

In my view, you're a grade a moron if you draft Beniers when you could have Luke Hughes instead. Especially if you're an expansion team. If you're an established team with a full defense pipeline it's something different but for Seattle there was no reason to draft a forward 2nd overall, let alone friggen Beniers. Again, this is nothing against Beniers who's gonna be a very good NHL player. It's just that there were better options.
I'll trust my eyes and every professional but thanks for your opinion. By your take on beniers you definitely should tune into some Seattle games because it seems like you haven't seen Beniers play a single game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'll trust my eyes and every professional but thanks for your opinion. By your take on beniers you definitely should tune into some Seattle games because it seems like you haven't seen Beniers play a single game.
You think Beniers' hands are even close from McTavish's or Eklund's? Could he pull off the same moves? I haven't seen anything that would suggest he's even close. Also, did you ever watch Hughes? He's scary. Probably closer to Power than to the top forwards. Don't think any of the forwards are gonna come even close but it's still a bit early.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad