Confirmed with Link: Martinsen to Montreal for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I think his obsession with Smith, him calling Goloubef an NHLer even though he's never stuck in the NHL, stripping McLeod of an A and benching him right off the bat and most the year, and now dealing Martinsen for Andrighetto says otherwise. I think this is telling of the kind of players he likes.

I think he's obsessed with a mechanical style of play that emphasizes positional play at the expense of physical play and emotion. He wants smaller players that can skate into the position he wants, rather than finish their checks. Doesn't matter that they're not very talented or capable of scoring at a rate that makes that style beneficial.

I think this has turned the team into more of a perimeter team than they should be. They don't shoot because they're too concerned with puck possession, they don't send enough bodies to the net to battle physically, and they don't finish their checks. They just skate with the puck and either turn it over or miss the net.

Oh great, I'm waiting for Malkin to get a 3 year ext. now ;)

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Finally lol

From what ive seen ( the bits and pieces) Speedy and small (my fave, no sarcasm) good on the forecheck

What was the original rumor so many years back PAP for this dude

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We finally got our player, how long until Bryan Little is traded here? :sarcasm:

I'm fine with this, but this is such a Bender move. This team is gonna be soft as butter next year.
No. I'm totally pissed off at everyone in the Front Office, but Avs are not wrong for going after speed and youth. Blackhawks besides the first Cup are a team built with speed and IQ, Penguins who just won the Cup is also built upon the same ideologies. Physicality is so overrated in the NHL, you will do better with a team of fast, but competitive players like Hagelin than a team filled with Dustin Browns.

I agree with everyone that Andrighetto is five or ten times the player Martinsen is. However, Andrighetto is also a player who needs to be sort of sheltered with his minutes. Picture him a forward version of Tyson Barrie where he has some serious puck skills, displays some good IQ, but just can't handle major minutes. He also doesn't play the type of game which isn't suited for the bottom 6 either (why he failed in Montreal). What he can still become IMO is a PA Parenteau type of forward that compliments a 2nd line. Maybe not one you want to win a Cup with, but perhaps a good stop gap until you get an upgraded piece.

I will miss Martinsen though, got bashed fairly too often here while possessing some underrated playmaking skills along with his hitting. Should fit nicely on a much deeper club.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For a guy of his size it isn't bad (I'd say above average for his size), but I'd never use the word good to describe it. When he is giving a full effort and hitting everything, you'll love him. He will make some crushing hits and surprise with some pretty goals. The other 99% of the time you won't notice him.

Ricko Balboa

Aug 1, 2016
For a guy of his size it isn't bad (I'd say above average for his size), but I'd never use the word good to describe it. When he is giving a full effort and hitting everything, you'll love him. He will make some crushing hits and surprise with some pretty goals. The other 99% of the time you won't notice him.

Thx :naughty:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't quite describe Martinsen on a good day quite that glowingly. He generally does nothing, he's a big body but not a sloth. He can deliver some big hits when he feels like it. He doesn't have much skill or hands but a couple times a year is in the right place at the right time and can score. He doesn't tend to make big glaring mistakes so even if he's doing nothing he shouldn't hurt you either.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
hey guys habs fan here, just want to ask you guys, is Martinsen's skating good?

The way I'd phrase it is Martinsen is an ECHLer 99.5% of the time, every so often he'll make some nice hits or make a nice play, but it is so infrequently you'll totally forget he exists until it happens then you'll go oh yeah I forgot he was still on the roster.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can't believe someone took Martinsen.:laugh: Sakic even managed to get something of value. Well done.

Martinsen is a perfectly capable big-bodied winger on the 4th line...especially as a 13th winger.

I can't believe Joe allowed Bednar to play him any meaningful minutes on the third line or higher at any point during the season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We finally got our player, how long until Bryan Little is traded here? :sarcasm:

No. I'm totally pissed off at everyone in the Front Office, but Avs are not wrong for going after speed and youth. Blackhawks besides the first Cup are a team built with speed and IQ, Penguins who just won the Cup is also built upon the same ideologies. Physicality is so overrated in the NHL, you will do better with a team of fast, but competitive players like Hagelin than a team filled with Dustin Browns.

I agree with everyone that Andrighetto is five or ten times the player Martinsen is. However, Andrighetto is also a player who needs to be sort of sheltered with his minutes. Picture him a forward version of Tyson Barrie where he has some serious puck skills, displays some good IQ, but just can't handle major minutes. He also doesn't play the type of game which isn't suited for the bottom 6 either (why he failed in Montreal). What he can still become IMO is a PA Parenteau type of forward that compliments a 2nd line. Maybe not one you want to win a Cup with, but perhaps a good stop gap until you get an upgraded piece.

I will miss Martinsen though, got bashed fairly too often here while possessing some underrated playmaking skills along with his hitting. Should fit nicely on a much deeper club.

I think getting quicker, and even smaller is the right thing to do. I just get the feeling Bednar wants to go too far in that direction, and Sakic is accommodating him. Size and physical play is still a big factor in team success.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Can't believe someone took Martinsen.:laugh: Sakic even managed to get something of value. Well done.

I'm sure you're aware the player we received was waived a few times? The team could have got him for nothing, with the season down to approx 30 games we have him for a least a tryout.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Martinsen is a perfectly capable big-bodied winger on the 4th line...especially as a 13th winger.

I can't believe Joe allowed Bednar to play him any meaningful minutes on the third line or higher at any point during the season.

Nah, he'll be out of the NHL as early as next year.

I'm sure you're aware the player we received was waived a few times? The team could have got him for nothing, with the season down to approx 30 games we have him for a least a tryout.

Better return than Iggy.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm fine with this, but this is such a Bender move. This team is gonna be soft as butter next year.
Andrighetto isn't really soft. He's not going to throw hits, but he's not a pushover either. He battles hard. He's got a good shot and pass. He skates well.

Nothing is elite, but it's all good. And he needs a chance. The few times he had chances in Montreal, he produced - but he would get demoted for no reason. Therrien clearly didn't like him.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Andrighetto isn't really soft. He's not going to throw hits, but he's not a pushover either. He battles hard. He's got a good shot and pass. He skates well.

Nothing is elite, but it's all good. And he needs a chance. The few times he had chances in Montreal, he produced - but he would get demoted for no reason. Therrien clearly didn't like him.

Interesting. Thanks. Hope he gets some games in at some point. But he's probably gonna get Comeau'd

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think getting quicker, and even smaller is the right thing to do. I just get the feeling Bednar wants to go too far in that direction, and Sakic is accommodating him. Size and physical play is still a big factor in team success.

I agree but after the years we've had lets try the speedy midgets routine as see if that gets up anywhere.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs never fall out of love with players so it's not strange they would go after him. Kulikov next.

Martinsen is barely an AHLer and Andrighetto is a good AHLer, so it's a win for Avs.

And his mama cries.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Avs never fall out of love with players so it's not strange they would go after him. Kulikov next.

Martinsen is barely an AHLer and Andrighetto is a good AHLer, so it's a win for Avs.

And his mama cries.

Maybe Buffalo will trade him to us for a conditional 4th based on us making the playoffs, or re-signing him. That way we can try him out before signing him?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

And his mama cries.

Gordon-Headache.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Probably a solid chance then that Bednar won't either...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Really wish it was Hudon instead of Sven but beggars can't be choosers. The fact that we traded Martinsen for a guy who is better right now is a win in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad