Waived: Martin Reway's contract terminated

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It takes time to recover from the disease he has-had and the Habs were ready to live with his condition, putting him on the ice on part-time basis to start with.

So the Habs seemed that they would take their time with him and allowed him to play in Laval. They are not the ones kicking him out the door.

If Reway is not patient enough to go that route, that it HIS problem. I could understand that he is homesick too. He might think that he has a better chance to play more or to be paid better elsewhere, in another league, too.

We are just speculating. YOU and ME.

The Habs scouted him on frequent basis over his illness. They felt he could come back slowly into the groove. Doctors gave their green light to the player and the organisation. So, that tells me, the insensitive guy, that Reway health problems are curable and that he was on the right path to total recovery. If not, he would had stayed home and keep recovering.

[MOD EDIT ] Don't attack another poster

You have no idea of his current mental and physical health.

Doctors aren't wizards. They don't make 100% accurate pronouncements on your future professional hockey career. At best, they'll green light you feeling pretty certain you're not endangering your life, if they can. That doesn't mean they will wiggle a magic wand and turn you into a thriving AHL player.

The fact Reway needed a rest every other game in the AHL tells me it was probably not the best place for him. If he had problems sustaining the pace in this developmental league, it's not necessarily wrong to go home when you're so far away. Nothing indicates this guy had an attitude issue. So why make up one when all the evidence points out to the extraordinary circumstances this guy has had to face ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I've never seen an organization that "mutually terminates" as many contracts as this team.

How many NHL organizations do you follow as closely ? This stuff happens all the time, everywhere. It's very easy when to miss when it happens to other teams (in fact, a crapload of casual Habs fans will probably never hear about Reway).

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Geez man, open your eyes. The kid hasn't been able to bounce back from his hospitalization from a heart defect.

An insensitive, arbitrary and foolish post.
Hello here from Czech Republic. I just feel a need to react to this. I guess It will appear soon what happens. If he isnt looking for any club in Europe, that just probably proves he hasnt recovered yet from heart issues. If he finds a club that unfortunately confirms that this guy has long term mental issues.He had an issue with some slovak national team coach. I remembered watching him all the season when he was playing for Sparta Prague. He showed tons of talent but he was never valuable for the team. Then he stoped feeling comfortable in dressing room and asked for trade. He left for Fribourg. This guy has such a bad reputation for his attitude that I dont believe its a coincidence. Laval is already second team where he asked for trade/termination. When he jumped into AHL I was thinking its a great chance for him to prove everybody wrong. This league is all about things he never done to become valuable player. Reway looks like he lives from his talent and left whenever they treat him as one of many or demand just constant hard work. He should swallow it in AHL and showed he is mentally ready for big club imo. Instead of it looks like he did "classic Reway move" imo.

Reactions: dralaf

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You think Reway tried to make a comeback EVEN IF doctors would had not given him a green light to do so ? Do you really think the Habs would had given him that opportunity ? Come on !

I am willing to accept the fact that it would take more time to fully recover, if it is possible.

And if the guy has that much character, and he is really danger-free for his health and life, he would stick around for a while, and give himself a full season to make up his mind.

If it is dangerous, I fully acknowledge that and wish him the best for the rest of his life, outside pro hockey.

It is important to make cheap comments about Reway and his health so the Org doesnt look bad.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Would you care to explain ?

Reway has decided to quit on the club - ONCE AGAIN... He might had possibly found out that he would never be able to play hockey at pro level, at least at NA Pro level. He might stll be good enough for Slovekia or Swiss league.

Was he receiving an AHL salary ? That might had been a reason if he can get paid way more playing closer to home.

Habs still have an abundance of smallish forwards to care about.

I think saying he's a quitter, well that's a little strong.

Going through a major health-related issue of any kind is a very humbling experience on many levels. This kid had serious heart issues, couldn't move around much and was confined to home and had to avoid physical contact for over a year. That gives a lot of time to think about what's important in life and reevaluate things. It also gives you time to reevaluate what is important to you. This is an individual journey and there is no set path.

When I heard Reway was having his contract terminated, I simply thought of it as a guy who wants to go home and be closer to the family. Medical emergencies can do that to you.

The last thing I thought this was about was money or quitting. And Montreal did the classy thing by releasing him from his contract, as they should.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Sucks to have your career compromised because of an illness. Wish him the best.

Reactions: irunthepeg

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Some of the posts on this thread... His "attitude", really? Have you ever had any major health issues that prevent you from attaining your goals, your dream career, your professional life? It sucks for Reway. He tried but it didn't work. Good for him to realize it now and leave while he still has his health. There's no blame on anybody in this situation. None. Wish him the best. I know it won't be easy for him.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Maybe in a couple of years he can get back to game shape and come to camp on a PTO.

I will give him 5 years of probation. At 27 he could be in top shape. Or he could be buried in EIHL, France or other low level Euro league. Still believe in option 1.
Btw: How is it with NHL rights? How many years will the Habs own it?

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I will give him 5 years of probation. At 27 he could be in top shape. Or he could be buried in EIHL, France or other low level Euro league. Still believe in option 1.
Btw: How is it with NHL rights? How many years will the Habs own it?

0 year. Contract terminated means we lose his right.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You think Reway tried to make a comeback EVEN IF doctors would had not given him a green light to do so ? Do you really think the Habs would had given him that opportunity ? Come on !

I am willing to accept the fact that it would take more time to fully recover, if it is possible.

And if the guy has that much character, and he is really danger-free for his health and life, he would stick around for a while, and give himself a full season to make up his mind.

If it is dangerous, I fully acknowledge that and wish him the best for the rest of his life, outside pro hockey.

I have no idea why you're so determined to put this on Reway. Having medical clearance does not mean much except the board presented a medical opinion that his condition was longer life threatening. It in no way is a guarantee or endorsement of perfect health.

I truly hope that you never have a serious illness where your very life is in doubt. It changes you man. You stop thinking of picayune inanities and you make promises to yourself. You pray that if you just get through this, you'll change your life. You think about all the people you've wronged and all the ones you've loved. It's life changing for very many people who go through it.

I give him credit for trying to put the fear and doubt aside and trying to resurrect his hockey career without his family and friends for support.

There's no way to know if he was ever emotionally healed from that trauma. Perhaps his body just hasn't recovered and every little twinge of discomfort in his chest panics him, and a bag skate makes him feel ill. All I feel is sympathy for his condition and hope that he'll lead a happy and healthy life with or without hockey. He deserves support, not criticism.

Hockey was his dream. I imagine his priority now is being healthy enough to live a normal life. Cheers to him as he moves forward.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This reeks of another Bergevin mishap. Why not just let him return to Europe while retaining his rights???
Probably because he was under a NHL contract and can't be on another professional contract with a team in Europe at the same time.

Jul 6, 2016
Don't be surprised if Reway is playing full time in an European league in not too long.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can loan players under contract to european leagues.

I don't understand why they just didn't do that, loan him to a Czech league team or where ever he wants to go. I understand that he would still count against the 50 contract limit but at 46 contracts with him, it doesn't seem like an issue to me.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I also don't understand Why Montreal would terminate is contract, contract limit isn't a issue, cap isn't a issue, actual salary isn't a issue... Why would Montreal not take the chance that he will bounce back even if it just to ultimately help the AHL team...
But I really don't understand why he would want to terminate is contract given is health issues , why would he want terminate is guarantied source of income and the support of the team or NHLPA that was at is disposal doctor, physio, physical trainer, dietitian, mental health prof, seem he doing to need help even if he not making it back to the NHL...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I don't understand why they just didn't do that, loan him to a Czech league team or where ever he wants to go. I understand that he would still count against the 50 contract limit but at 46 contracts with him, it doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Maybe there is still serious doubt about his recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad