Martin Brodeur....Overrated?

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Brodeur was good but not the legend that his 3 Stanley Cup titles and GAA numbers make him to be... It is no coincidence that he never won another cup without Daneyko, Stevens and Niedermayer, that defence was the real reason of his success. The number of shots at his net was so low compared to Belfour, Hasek and Roy. I would take this 3 over him in a beat, yes Belfour too, he was a little bit crazy but once he got his head straight he was probably the best goalie in the NHL at Clutch time in those 2 seasons that the Stars went to the finals. Especially in 2000 when the Stars were injury plagued and he carried the team to the finals, and the year before his battle with Hasek was stuff of legends, both guys game 6 perfomances was fantastic.

Brodeur, I saw him having good games but I never felt that he was the reason for the Devils success, Cujo eliminating Dallas and Colorado in 1997 and 1998 impressed me more than Brodeur in his entire career. Brodeur is not even a top 10 goalie of all time in my opinion.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Brodeur was good but not the legend that his 3 Stanley Cup titles and GAA numbers make him to be... It is no coincidence that he never won another cup without Daneyko, Stevens and Niedermayer, that defence was the real reason of his success. The number of shots at his net was so low compared to Belfour, Hasek and Roy. I would take this 3 over him in a beat, yes Belfour too, he was a little bit crazy but once he got his head straight he was probably the best goalie in the NHL at Clutch time in those 2 seasons that the Stars went to the finals. Especially in 2000 when the Stars were injury plagued and he carried the team to the finals, and the year before his battle with Hasek was stuff of legends, both guys game 6 perfomances was fantastic.

Brodeur, I saw him having good games but I never felt that he was the reason for the Devils success, Cujo eliminating Dallas and Colorado in 1997 and 1998 impressed me more than Brodeur in his entire career. Brodeur is not even a top 10 goalie of all time in my opinion.

All the way to the finals in 2012 with a particularly weak defense. And let's not pretend that Roy was playing behind scrub defensemen. Let's also not pretend that Roy and Belfour played behind weak defenses.

A good goalie makes a good defense and a good defense makes a good goalie. It goes both ways.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
He's overrated by some who think he is undoubtedly the greatest goaltender of all-time, but he is still probably one of the best six or seven goalies to ever play the game.

I would also take Hasek and Roy over him but I think you underrate Brodeur a little too much due to the team he played for. He was still a fantastic goalie who is deserving of legendary status.

Did he have to be as good as Hasek? Probably not. With that being said, his accomplishments are up there with the best of all-time, and it's not cause of his team entirely.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
One thing that needs to be considered in regards to Brodeur's save percentage is that New Jersey's shot counter was by far the stingiest in the league for a majority of Brodeur's tenure there.

If he had a league average shot counter his save percentage would have gone up to around .920.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

:laugh: The fact that you use Stevens, Nieds, and.....Daneyko as the reason for Brodeur's success is hysterical. Seriously, what in the world are you talking about? I love Daneyko, but we're gonna sit here an act like a 32 year old+ middle pair dman was a key reason for Marty's success? This is just too funny.

To say Marty is the defacto #1 goalie all time is stupid.
To say Marty is not a top 10 goalie all time is stupid.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Brodeur was good but not the legend that his 3 Stanley Cup titles and GAA numbers make him to be... It is no coincidence that he never won another cup without Daneyko, Stevens and Niedermayer, that defence was the real reason of his success.

He dragged them to the SCF in 2012 when most people didn't expect them to get past the second round

The number of shots at his net was so low compared to Belfour, Hasek and Roy. I would take this 3 over him in a beat, yes Belfour too, he was a little bit crazy but once he got his head straight he was probably the best goalie in the NHL at Clutch time in those 2 seasons that the Stars went to the finals. Especially in 2000 when the Stars were injury plagued and he carried the team to the finals, and the year before his battle with Hasek was stuff of legends, both guys game 6 perfomances was fantastic.

Shots against per game
Brodeur: 25.05
Belfour: 25.70
Roy: 25.22
Hasek: 27.51

How about Brodeur holding the offensive powerhouse Detroit Red Wings to 7 goals in four games in the 1995 SCF? How about letting in only 9 goals in a six game series against the reigning Stanley Cup Champions in 2000? How about setting the record for most shutouts in one playoff run in 2003, which included 3 in the SCF as well a the Cup winning game? How about out dueling JSG, who was on a God-like run that year (19 goals against in 7 games for JSG vs. 15 for Brodeur)?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Yeah, he of .917 save% really "dragged his team to the Finals." That Devils squad was a team effort with no real individual standouts. Before running into LA, when they needed someone to do a thing, someone did that thing.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Yeah, he of .917 save% really "dragged his team to the Finals." That Devils squad was a team effort with no real individual standouts. Before running into LA, when they needed someone to do a thing, someone did that thing.

Have to agree with this. In the same breath though, we obviously aren't going to start evaluating his entire career based on his twilight years.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
He had a .923 sv% going into the SCF. Carrying was the wrong word there, but he wasn't bad at all
I'll agree with this. TDMM has a good post about him probably winning the Smythe if the Devils win the Cup and its impact on his legacy a while back.

Bummer that Devils team disintegrated after that run.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hmm, let's see... the guy who led the NHL in wins 9 times; won three Stanley Cups (5 Finals' appearances); 1st/2nd-team All Star 7 times while competing with Hasek, Roy, Belfour; 4 Vezina Trophies (+ 3 more top-two finishes; 6 more top-three; 12-straight seasons in top-5); Olympic gold-medalist; 125 shutouts and 695 career wins (+113 in the playoffs).

So... nope, not overrated.

End thread.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Watching Jon "Systems" Quick the past 4-5 seasons has given me a new appreciation for Brodeur. Both guys seem to get similar criticisms. Neither guy is going to blow you out of the water with their SV%, but when you're getting 18-25 shots a game, night in night out, it only takes an odd man rush here or there to sink you back to league average SV%. Not putting JQ in Brodeurs company yet, just something I noticed.

An off-topic note that Quick tied Brimsek and Beezer for most shutouts by an American born goalie with his 40th last night. Those were system shutouts though, so there's an asterix.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Watching Jon "Systems" Quick the past 4-5 seasons has given me a new appreciation for Brodeur. Both guys seem to get similar criticisms. Neither guy is going to blow you out of the water with their SV%, but when you're getting 18-25 shots a game, night in night out, it only takes an odd man rush here or there to sink you back to league average SV%.
That's right. Save-percentage doesn't really convince me of anything in itself (not that there's anything wrong with Brodeur's save percentages, which are outstanding). The only exception would be a total outlier situation, as when Hasek had the best save-percentage for six consecutive years -- that's just ridiculous, and, in conjunction with other supporting stats, clearly demonstrates his awesomeness.

What does convince me is consistent, year-in and year-out greatness, and being able to take the pressure without exploding, while getting it done in RS, playoffs, international, etc.

Brodeur was awesome.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Hmm, let's see... the guy who led the NHL in wins 9 times; won three Stanley Cups (5 Finals' appearances); 1st/2nd-team All Star 7 times while competing with Hasek, Roy, Belfour; 4 Vezina Trophies (+ 3 more top-two finishes; 6 more top-three; 12-straight seasons in top-5); Olympic gold-medalist; 125 shutouts and 695 career wins (+113 in the playoffs).

So... nope, not overrated.

End thread.

If you're going to decide whether someone is overrated, wouldn't you need both their accomplishments *and* how they're being rated? (This is a rhetorical question).

By the way, please don't "end threads". Especially with a post like that.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If you're going to decide whether someone is overrated, wouldn't you need both their accomplishments *and* how they're being rated? (This is a rhetorical question).
Certainly a good question, but honestly the answer is "not really" in Brodeur's particular case. If someone wants to argue that Brodeur is the greatest goalie in NHL history (I don't agree with that, btw), I still wouldn't say that makes him 'over-rated'. In other words, while it's possible to over-rate most successful goaltenders, I can't really see how we can over-rate someone with Brodeur's incredible accomplishments, which is why I listed some of them in my previous post.

By contrast, if someone wanted to argue that Darren Pang is the greatest goaltender in NHL history, I would have to say that Pang is being over-rated.

By the way, please don't "end threads". Especially with a post like that.
Fortunately, I'm not a moderator, so I can't end threads. My "end" was a rhetorical way of repeating my thesis, which is that a player of Brodeur's accomplishments cannot really be over-rated.

(I don't know what you mean by "a post like that", however.)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

Well... that right there tells me he was probably a little overrated on a year-to-year basis, because I thought he was a top-three goalie in a season less often than the voters did (1997, 1998, 2007, 2008?). Amazing longevity, but he got a lot more respect from voters at times than I believe was warranted.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I still never quite grasped how people could so wholeheartedly disregard GAA but put all their chips into save pct. - it always struck me as a fundamental misunderstanding. So much weight in one category and just about none in the other, hard to believe.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
brodeur was just a sick pro. playing that much game at the more difficult position .. man. i understand people who says hasek or wtv. prime hasek was better than prime brodeur.

70 something games a year for 15 years and be top 5 in the league in probably 14 of them. that f***ing rediculous.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
brodeur was just a sick pro. playing that much game at the more difficult position .. man. i understand people who says hasek or wtv. prime hasek was better than prime brodeur.

70 something games a year for 15 years and be top 5 in the league in probably 14 of them. that f***ing rediculous.

I know i don't think Brodeur gets given enough credit for his longevity.

When you talk about all-time goalies, Roy and Hasek are probably both above Brodeur by most. and i don't even necessarily disagree with that. But I don't think Roy nor Hasek could have had the longevity Brodeur had.

There's something to be said about reamining the #1 goalie for the same franchise for 20 or so years. Hasek moved around a lot and didn't crack the NHL as early. Roy - actually lost his spot early on with the habs, then got traded, and retired early.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I still never quite grasped how people could so wholeheartedly disregard GAA but put all their chips into save pct. - it always struck me as a fundamental misunderstanding. So much weight in one category and just about none in the other, hard to believe.

Because mathematically it makes perfect sense.

GAA is just error rate (1 - sv%) times shots against per game.

Looking at it that way, it should be clear it's just a rehashing of save percentage itself, made even less useful (regardless of how useful one considers sv% to begin with)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad