Marner, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Kaprizov or Robertson?

Who is the best of the 4 right now?

• Mitch Marner

Votes: 46 14.0%
  • Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 77 23.5%
  • David Pastrnak

Votes: 42 12.8%
  • Kirill Kaprizov

Votes: 109 33.2%
  • Jason Robertson

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 15 4.6%

• Total voters

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I don't think he's "Easily top 3", scratch Draisaitl, insert MacKinnon. Carry on.
Matthews dwarfs Mackinnon offensively and defensively. There's literally nothing Mackinnon does better than Matthews except win a cup in year 9 while Matthews is currently in year 7. And btw...Makar finished 8th and 12th in Hart voting the past 2 years, he's not top 3 either.

Try again

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Matthews dwarfs Mackinnon offensively and defensively. There's literally nothing Mackinnon does better than Matthews except win a cup in year 9 while Matthews is currently in year 7. And btw...Makar finished 8th and 12th in Hart voting the past 2 years, he's not top 3 either.

Try again
MacKinnon dwarfs Matthews in the post season. A good number of players dwarf Matthews in the post season, but we're supposed to act like the regular season is the only way to assess a players production.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Rantanen has proven without Mackinnon that he can carry a team, drive play and be center. Just scored hattrick other night, all Colorado goals. Also has amazing playoff resume unlike others. I dont know why hfboards love regular season heros.
The 3 years before Avs winning it all. Marner was the whipping boy after those 1st round exit it was almost a routine where we were told how great Marner is just for him to disappear in the playoffs. Then toss him in every trade proposal during the summer (Heiskanen, Doughty).

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Try again
Mackinnon is a better playmaker for starter. He can also entry in the zone with such ease and draw the defense/forwards so he can dish it.

"Except win a cup" like he was just a passenger in the playoffs :laugh: I don't even think I have to go there when one is 6th all-time PPG with 93pts in 70 games.

Edit : My apologies for digressing from the actual poll.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Rantanen has proven without Mackinnon that he can carry a team, drive play and be center. Just scored hattrick other night, all Colorado goals. Also has amazing playoff resume unlike others. I dont know why hfboards love regular season heros.
Rantanen's playoffs are great (the best)... but it's not like Pasta's playoff resume isn't extremely impressive also.

Rantanen - 63 gp - 23 - 54 - 77
Pastrnak - 70gp - 30 - 44 - 74

They're already 24 and 25 of active NHL players for playoff points. Very impressive for both of them.
Toss in that The East has been the much tougher conference over the past half decade and it's not really some massive chasm between the two.

Last edited:

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Mackinnon is a better playmaker for starter. He can also entry in the zone with such ease and draw the defense/forwards so he can dish it.

"Except win a cup" like he was just a passenger in the playoffs :laugh: I don't even think I have to go there when one is 6th all-time PPG with 93pts in 70 games.

Edit : My apologies for digressing from the actual poll.
Mackinnon has a career high of 58 assists, Matthews is one pace for 55 this season. Barely better if at all right now, I'll give you the previous seasons though. Matthews is lightyears better as a goalscorer. Matthews is better at faceoffs. Matthews is better defensively. Matthews is 2 years younger and bigger. And for what it's worth, he dominates Mackinnon in head to head match-ups. Go look at the scoring splits between the two when the Avs and Leafs face each other.

I brought up the cup because he won it in year 9. When he was done 6 years in the NHL, he made it to the playoffs 3 times, losing twice in the 1st round and once in the 2nd. Matthews after 6 years has made the playoffs every year, while losing in the 1st round every time. You're giving Mackinnon the luxury of seasons 7-9 while not allowing us to see what that holds in store for Matthews. We're currently in year 7 of him, 1 cup is all he needs to match the one thing Mackinnon has over him.

Mackinnon is never winning the Art Ross or Rocket and it would take a longshot for him to win the Hart.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Rantanen's playoffs are great (the best)... but it's not like Pasta's playoff resume isn't extremely impressive also.

Rantanen - 63 gp - 23 - 54 - 74
Pastrnak - 70gp - 30 - 40 - 70

They're already 24 and 25 of active NHL players for playoff points. Very impressive for both of them.
Toss in that The East has been the much tougher conference over the past half decade and it's not really some massive chasm between the two.
Pastrnak is 30-44-74 in 70, so he's over a point per game as well.

Mackinnon has a career high of 58 assists, Matthews is one pace for 55 this season. Barely better if at all right now, I'll give you the previous seasons though. Matthews is lightyears better as a goalscorer. Matthews is better at faceoffs. Matthews is better defensively. Matthews is 2 years younger and bigger. And for what it's worth, he dominates Mackinnon in head to head match-ups. Go look at the scoring splits between the two when the Avs and Leafs face each other.

I brought up the cup because he won it in year 9. When he was done 6 years in the NHL, he made it to the playoffs 3 times, losing twice in the 1st round and once in the 2nd. Matthews after 6 years has made the playoffs every year, while losing in the 1st round every time. You're giving Mackinnon the luxury of seasons 7-9 while not allowing us to see what that holds in store for Matthews. We're currently in year 7 of him, 1 cup is all he needs to match the one thing Mackinnon has over him.
Ah, he's got a few pounds on MacKinnon.

Are you just flat out ignoring the fact that MacKinnon completely buries Matthews offensively in the playoffs?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Right now? Marner how can it not be him? He's on a 23 game point streak his point streak has lasted over 25% of the season

Marner's streak is great. Impressive. But even if we cherry-pick this run by Marner

Marner - 23gp - 11g - 20a - 31pts
Pastrnak - 23gp - 16g - 15a - 31pts (pts in 21 of 23 gms)

not going to race through the other three but pretty confident they'll be in that ballpark as well.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Mackinnon is never winning the Art Ross or Rocket and it would take a longshot for him to win the Hart.
I couldn't care less about a head to head match-up in the regular season. Playoffs is where Mack shines ! I bet a guy like Colton Sissons or Pavelski have a better head to head against Mack.

Mackinnon's production in the playoffs is way better than every playoffs series that Matthews has been. Mackinnon step his game up when it matters. This isn't just about winning the cup.

Also in other words we have to wait what the future holds for Matthews while Mack is a known fact that he isn't winning any trophies? Hilarious that you're using career high for Mack then use pace to actual project on Matthews. Why not use pace for both players? BTW Mack is on pace for 92 this season :sarcasm:

I'm gonna stop there as we already digressing the poll.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Pastrnak is 30-44-74 in 70, so he's over a point per game as well.

Ah, he's got a few pounds on MacKinnon.

Are you just flat out ignoring the fact that MacKinnon completely buries Matthews offensively in the playoffs?
Thanks. I knew that but mistyped. Messed up Rantanen's also. I corrected.
I'm not arguing that Rananten's playoffs isn't the best of the bunch but every time I see these comparisons it's brought up and people kinda gloss over how productive Pasta's been in the playoffs also and helped lead his team to the Finals. And I don't think anyone would argue that he hasn't had to face tougher competition and better defences in their respective playoff careers.
Both guys are putting together awfully impressive playoff resumes pretty early in their careers. MacKinnon's head of the class, but these two and Point are the guys climbing the list pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
He scored the most goals last year. And yes, won a heart. He was great. However he's probably not even a top 20 player this year right now. If he's not in the mix by April this year, is he still top 3?

I'd argue McDavid, Draisaitl and Makar have been the top 3 players over the past 2-3 years.

Shouldn't the same argument work for Makar as well?

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Notice how no one even attempts to bring up defensive play? Otherwise the answer would be obvious.

Lots of people did, but no one posted any evidence of it being true. Saying that someone is great defensively is one thing, but where are the statistics backing it up?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Only one player has scored more points than Marner in the 2022 calendar year. That would be Connor McDavid :cool:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Marner's streak is great. Impressive. But even if we cherry-pick this run by Marner

not going to race through the other three but pretty confident they'll be in that ballpark as well.

Maybe but that's still not 23 straight.

23 straight is different

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Lots of people did, but no one posted any evidence of it being true. Saying that someone is great defensively is one thing, but where are the statistics backing it up?

It's because he kills penalties.

When you look at 5v5 compared to someone who is considered not very good defensively like Pasta, you may notice that Pasta actually has slightly better numbers.

Reactions: Buck Naked

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

Marner is the only one that kills penalties on a consistent basis here, and does so at an elite level. Not sure what kind of stats would demonstrate an individual’s impact in that area, but Toronto leads the league with expected goals for % while shorthanded by a significant margin and he’s a big part of that. Source: moneypuck.com

Ultimately, it helps to watch the games because it becomes obvious. However, an easy stat to look at is takeaways where he is consistently top 3-10 every year.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Marner is the only one that kills penalties on a consistent basis here, and does so at an elite level. Not sure what kind of stats would demonstrate an individual’s impact in that area, but Toronto leads the league with expected goals for % while shorthanded by a significant margin and he’s a big part of that. Source: moneypuck.com

Ultimately, it helps to watch the games because it becomes obvious. However, an easy stat to look at is takeaways where he is consistently top 3-10 every year.

High danger chances against he's 365th in the league among players with over 250 5v5 minutes played. For reference among some other known defensively sound players, Bergeron is 8th, Elias Lindholm 26th, Joel Eriksson Ek 33rd..

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
At this moment there are very few people in history doing what Marner is doing, so he is the best. By the end of the season I'm sure it will flop between possibly all 5 of them.

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022

Why does everyone always go directly to stats and completely disregard the 200ft game. If he's too busy opening chances and playing defense and changing the pace of the game, while the stars on the other team are too busy scoring and being the star instead of the star/the grunt grind, of course some are gonna have more points than him. Those things have no metrics.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Why does everyone always go directly to stats and completely disregard the 200ft game. If he's too busy opening chances and playing defense and changing the pace of the game, while the stars on the other team are too busy scoring and being the star instead of the star/the grunt grind, of course some are gonna have more points than him. Those things have no metrics.
Because none of it matters as long as it doesnt point to the exact answer that the poster wants. HF boards is full of mental midgets that cant accept anything they dont understand and will scream and cry about it not being real.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Why do you guys keep ignoring that the only reason you guys are hyping up Marners defensive play is because he kills penalties. Because some of the guys on this list are equal to or better than him defensively 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad