Prospect Info: Marner at the top of OHL scoring race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if he's grown at all this year. Hard to tell, but people will shut up a little more when he grows an inch just because he's 6'0.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Marner reminds me of Gilmour. He's going to be a big offensive performer but offer exceptional defensive ability as well. I am actually quite puzzled about why he still can't make it as a #1C.

I know it's not directly relatable, and I use soccer as a form of explanation too much probably, but it's because my knowledge is much greater in that. However, re: Marner at RW over C, it reminds me of one my own favourite football players, Andy Reid. He's a short fellow, technically supreme, everyone will tell you he's a centre (midfielder) but he has always played his best through his career at left wing. His skills of being a fantastic passer, excellent composure, brilliant reading of the game, and when he plays he usually dictates the play and all attacking movements go through him. However, when he's out on the left, he has the option of staying out wide, or he can often step into the centre a little, and it makes him so evasive. His marker doesn't know whether to stick with him and leave the open space in behind, or leave him for someone else to close down, which opens up other options, and he finds the opportunity to open up the opposition much more than if he was playing through the centre in a more traditional role.

For me, this perhaps bares a resemblence to Marner's game, and how him playing on the wing enables him to play a style that is almost that of a center, and this makes him more evasive and effective.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
no, but this board has an obsession with players being 6 feet. So 1 more inch for them to stop the height jokes

if marner wasn't drafted by the leafs hed be the next denis savard or doug Gilmour .
so u telling me dulan larkin would have got 200 points in the ohl?
best 18 year old in the world
I think that's enuff for mark hunter ...

get over it leaf haters we are BAAAAAAAAAACK :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
God and I was starting to forget why I hate the main boards. Apparently Drouin is now a better prospect than Nylander too despite nobody wanting him at the TDL.

The only part of the main boards I ever visit is the 'prospects' forum. The rest, particularly the trade forum, is a rage-inducing bonanza.

Leafs fans, don't engage anyone on those forums. Take the high road. Let them make their silly comments. We will get our revenge when we absolutely CRUSH their teams in a few years. We all know it's coming. They don't. They will be traumatized. Let them have their fun now while they still can.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The only part of the main boards I ever visit is the 'prospects' forum. The rest, particularly the trade forum, is a rage-inducing bonanza.

Leafs fans, don't engage anyone on those forums. Take the high road. Let them make their silly comments. We will get our revenge when we absolutely CRUSH their teams in a few years. We all know it's coming. They don't. They will be traumatized. Let them have their fun now while they still can.

Truer words were never spoken ahuh. :nod:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is true but both the coyote prospects showcased in this series are still impressive. IB Marner makes Dvorak better ;)

Marner makes Dvorak and Tkachuk better, and Dvorak and Tkachuk make Marner better, and as a trio they're almost unstoppable.

Marner's 4 point contribution propelled his linemates to be game stars in game #1 and London up 1-0 in the series.

Mad Brills*

Reasons going back to the OHL next year makes sense:

-Develop him as a centre.

That's it. Him back as a winger does nothing for his development.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marner makes Dvorak and Tkachuk better, and Dvorak and Tkachuk make Marner better, and as a trio they're almost unstoppable.

Marner's 4 point contribution propelled his linemates to be game stars in game #1 and London up 1-0 in the series.

You must be dying inside.

Also, Marner was just as unstoppable last year when Tkachuk wasn't there.

Dvorak, with Domi, couldn't carry London in the playoffs while Marner was out with an injury last year. Marner had 9 goals and 16 points in 7 games, while Dvorak had 13p in 10g and Domi had 9p in 9g.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You must be dying inside.

Also, Marner was just as unstoppable last year when Tkachuk wasn't there.

Dvorak, with Domi, couldn't carry London in the playoffs while Marner was out with an injury last year. Marner had 9 goals and 16 points in 7 games, while Dvorak had 13p in 10g and Domi had 9p in 9g.

Dvorak has really turned into a good player, 2nd round steal.
Marner has always been much better than Domi.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dvorak has really turned into a good player, 2nd round steal.
Marner has always been much better than Domi.

Most definitely. Mark Hunter is very good at his job.

Cliff Pu could be the next steal.

Last edited:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Reasons going back to the OHL next year makes sense:

-Develop him as a centre.

That's it. Him back as a winger does nothing for his development.

If you want to develop him as a center you shouldn't send him to a junior team where you can't control how he's used.

You keep him and let NHL coaches work with him on becoming an NHL player. Then you worry about him learning to play center. Have you listened to how Babcock believes centers should be developed? It's by learning how to be an NHL player before anything else.

Why people keep trying to force wingers into the middle puzzles me, but it's an obsession here that isn't going away until we draft a top C or 2 and simply let our wingers develop as wingers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you want to develop him as a center you shouldn't send him to a junior team where you can't control how he's used.

You keep him and let NHL coaches work with him on becoming an NHL player. Then you worry about him learning to play center. Have you listened to how Babcock believes centers should be developed? It's by learning how to be an NHL player before anything else.

Why people keep trying to force wingers into the middle puzzles me, but it's an obsession here that isn't going away until we draft a top C or 2 and simply let our wingers develop as wingers.

Exactly.

He isn't some hopeful prospect, he is one of the best in the world. He's played Centre all his life, minus the last couple years. If the Leafs see him as an eventual Centre he won't have any trouble figuring it out.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

I agree with most of what you say, however, the bold line is quite the statement.

Don't forget Mark Hunter is a part-owner of the London Knights. Marner would be able to virtually play as much as he wants. Dvorak is making the leap next year to the AHL/NHL, Marner could fill that #1C role for London.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I am a big Marner fan but translating to the NHL isn't a given for anyone except for the McDavids and Crosbys etc of the hockey world. I will reserve judgement on him, Nylander and all the prospects til they've progressed to a productive level in the NHL for a few years at least. However I am excited about the possibilities... :)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Exactly.

He isn't some hopeful prospect, he is one of the best in the world. He's played Centre all his life, minus the last couple years. If the Leafs see him as an eventual Centre he won't have any trouble figuring it out.

Remember babcock said he likes to start young guys on the wing so we might have to wait a while before we see him at centre in the nhl.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree Mess. Well said.

Would be interesting to know what Marner's stats would be if instead of Tkachuk -- Dvorak -- Marner & top scoring line in the OHL, that Marner played centre on another line himself?

Leafs were hoping Marner would play centre this year, which was actually the original plan Mark Hunter had envision when stating he thought Marner would be an NHL centre, (by developing Mitch into one this year in London), unfortunately that didn't work out and he was moved back to the wing and only played a dozen or so games in the middle.

So if it was Tkachuk -- Dvorak -- Berisha as one line and JJ Piccinich -- Marner -- Max Jones another like the Knights started the year as what would the results look like?.

Marner would still get all his PP points by manning the point on the PP like he does now, but his ES point total would reflect linemates other than Tkachuk and Dvorak.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am a big Marner fan but translating to the NHL isn't a given for anyone except for the McDavids and Crosbys etc of the hockey world. I will reserve judgement on him, Nylander and all the prospects til they've progressed to a productive level in the NHL for a few years at least. However I am excited about the possibilities... :)

Generational players don't come by often, so you're not really wrong.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So if it was Tkachuk -- Dvorak -- Berisha as one line and JJ Piccinich -- Marner -- Max Jones another like the Knights started the year as what would the results look like?.

Marner would still get all his PP points by manning the point on the PP like he does now, but his ES point total would reflect linemates other than Tkachuk and Dvorak.

I wonder how the results would look like if Dvorak was centering Piccinich and Max Jones? Probably wouldn't have so many tap ins like these:

Weird train of thought if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad