Marner and Nylander vs Boeser and Horvat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This thread has great bump potential.

Horvat is not a special player.

There are guys in here saying Horvat is a slightly better Bozak.

The "bump potential" works both ways. Actually, not really. The 2 posters in question already look like clowns for saying that - we don't really need time to pass to confirm that.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don't see Marner as a special player either.
When all is said and done I think it ends up:
1. and 2. (Interchangeable) Nylander/Boeser
3. Horvat
4. Marner
I just think Horvat brings more to the table than Marner and Horvat's progression every single year has been something to see. I don't think any player works harder and we've seen his skating and acceleration markedly improve. It's hard to measure that kind of work ethic. Which is why I think his ceiling may be higher than many people think.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Just so you know there's already a good number of "bump potential" polls concerning Horvat, and he's won out every time.

Anyways, Leafs duo is more individually talented but I feel like the Canucks duo are a better tandem. Bullish center + sniper RW vs two smallish but highly skilled RW's... not sure if Nylander/Marner will play center in the NHL?

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
I don't see Marner as a special player either.
When all is said and done I think it ends up:
1. and 2. (Interchangeable) Nylander/Boeser
3. Horvat
4. Marner
I just think Horvat brings more to the table than Marner and Horvat's progression every single year has been something to see. I don't think any player works harder and we've seen his skating and acceleration markedly improve. It's hard to measure that kind of work ethic. Which is why I think his ceiling may be higher than many people think.

He is, though. No one saw him making the jump last year, let alone doing that well with that frame of his. His play-making is on another level than the other 3 kids here he's just going to take some time. Horvat keeps getting better and better but there's no question he's the 4th on this list.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He is, though. No one saw him making the jump last year, let alone doing that well with that frame of his. His play-making is on another level than the other 3 kids here he's just going to take some time. Horvat keeps getting better and better but there's no question he's the 4th on this list.
There's lots of questions with who fits where on the list. Marner had a great rookie year but is on pace for 6 goals and 45 points. Now I expect him to improve on those numbers obviously because he's a better player than that but right now Horvat is out producing him offensively (on pace for 30 goals and 59 points)and defensively he's better than Marner.
Predicting where they end up on the list in the future is hard but it would not surprise me with Horvats work ethic if his defensive play becomes high level. He's not there yet but he's already made huge strides.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
triggered leafs fans say what? poll is 2 weeks old now, and before Boeser wrapped up his awesome road trip.

Nucks duo. You know its them when you have Flames fans voting for a Canuck combo and they hate their players.

yeah surely it has nothing to do with the leafs dusting them off twice in a row.

let us know when horvat gets 60pts...its his what 4th/5th try?

the leafs boys did it as rookies

leafs duo has this

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Whats the deal with marner?
playing very well of late, has been getting shafted IMHO. he cant buy a goal and many goalies make their best save of the year on him..but yeah playing very,very well last 15 games or so

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

shhhh you might trigger the nucks fans that think he is so much better defensively than the others that it doesnt matter his ceiling is a 60pt guy while the others have a floor of 60pts

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
shhhh you might trigger the nucks fans that think he is so much better defensively than the others that it doesnt matter his ceiling is a 60pt guy while the others have a floor of 60pts

He is better defensively than anyone on this list, though.

Also he's tracking to crack 60 points this year.

I don't get how a guy that's been so good this year is getting bashed so hard.

Sometimes I question if certain fans have any sort of ability to evaluate hockey talent.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He is better defensively than anyone on this list, though.

Also he's tracking to crack 60 points this year.

I don't get how a guy that's been so good this year is getting bashed so hard.

Sometimes I question if certain fans have any sort of ability to evaluate hockey talent.
I've given up on trying to convince people that a players worth is measured by more than just points.
You definitely need the high points players to win but you also need the two way physical players. And I'm not saying that Horvat is on the same level as the elite defensive players. But he does have the skills IMO to become a very good two way player. He's already better defensively than the other 3 guys. If he can become that and crack 60 points on a fairly consistent basis that's a very valuable commodity.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Since Marner has only one year under his belt and is tracking at 45 points and under 6 goals I'd say it's too early to say what his floor is.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Since Marner has only one year under his belt and is tracking at 45 points and under 6 goals I'd say it's too early to say what his floor is.

With 50ish games left in the season, feel free to think that’s where he’ll end up, but I suspect you’ll look foolish come the spring.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Right now he could be the best player of the 4. He's by far the most relied upon.

He's the Canucks 1st line center, he's a matchup guy, he's a 1st unit PP player, only player of the 4 who regularly kills penalites, and he's 7th in the league in both faceoffs taken & faceoffs won. He's doing it while pacing for career highs in Goals/Points.

And of course he has a better PPG than Nylander & Marner, whether that continues we will see but he's been a horse in alot of ways that are just uncomparable for Nylander/Marner.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
I'd go with the Canucks duo. Nylander and Marner are both really good but I think they have better support around them. Horvat and Boeser are forced to lead the Canucks offense.

Horvat also does quite well on faceoff and it's believed he has the makings to be our next captain.

Boeser has looked amazing but his sample size is really small. Nylander and Marners are both fairly small as well. At this point it's just speculation as to who will end up the best

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
yeah surely it has nothing to do with the leafs dusting them off twice in a row.

let us know when horvat gets 60pts...its his what 4th/5th try?

the leafs boys did it as rookies

leafs duo has this
your "leafs boys" dont come close to horvat in terms of all round play and dependability and are being outproduced by him this year, i think its finally safe to say horvat is better than the boys who overachieved in their rookie seasons, we've seen it time and time again with players that dont live up to their rookie season standards

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Good poll. I think I'd still go with the Leafs duo; they are riding super low s% and are due to break out IMO. I also think Boeser will come down to earth a bit as well

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
^ I've seen this exact post in the Horvat vs Nichushkin, Domi, Lazar, Shinkaruk, and Bennett polls

cool. and we have seen it in marner/nylander vs many of the same guys.

Bennett was a hilarious one where Nylander got crushed. and now bennett looks like a 25-35pt 3rd liner

member 105785

cool. and we have seen it in marner/nylander vs many of the same guys.

Bennett was a hilarious one where Nylander got crushed. and now bennett looks like a 25-35pt 3rd liner

Oh for sure, it's just ridiculous to say Horvat isn't a special player, he's been dragging the Canucks all year and last season

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
People saying Horvat is the worst out of the 4 need to stop readings stats and start watching games.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
There are guys in here saying Horvat is a slightly better Bozak.

The "bump potential" works both ways. Actually, not really. The 2 posters in question already look like clowns for saying that - we don't really need time to pass to confirm that.

Bozak 55 points last season. Horvat 52. Bozak did it in less games too. Bozak has been garbage this season but they are still comparable and Horvat might seperate himself this season, but they have been comparable till now atleast.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Bozak 55 points last season. Horvat 52. Bozak did it in less games too. Bozak has been garbage this season but they are still comparable and Horvat might seperate himself this season, but they have been comparable till now atleast.

Try watching them play.

They're not in the same universe. Even last year.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Bozak can't even hold Horvat's jockstraps. Those who look primarily at stats and don't watch the games can only suggest such utter garbage. JVR and Marner >>>>> anyone Horvat played with last season.

Granlund is Bozak's comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad