Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really? :amazed: That's ridiculous...

Not ridiculous, but shows the kids work ethic

There is no chance that Nylander put on ten pounds since the draft. None.

Either way, said it before, I’ll say it again; weight is SO overrated on these boards. It is strength and balance that matter.

His weight at the combine was 173. Morrison said today that he is now 180+ pounds, which is likely 181-184ish, so he put on between 7-11 pounds, very likely of pure muscle.

This guys don't eat McDonalds to add 10 pounds, they do it in the gym. The weight gained is muscle, which = strength.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really? :amazed: That's ridiculous...

There is no chance that Nylander put on ten pounds since the draft. None.

Either way, said it before, I’ll say it again; weight is SO overrated on these boards. It is strength and balance that matter.

I've put on about 10 pounds since the draft myself, working out at the gym six times per week and being serious about my diet. It's very possible.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I've put on about 10 pounds since the draft myself, working out at the gym six times per week and being serious about my diet. It's very possible.

Huh, me too. I've put on about 10 pounds since the draft myself, not working out at the gym six times per week and not being serious about my diet. It's very possible.:yo:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Here's a little article on some of the prospects and the chances of them cracking the line-up.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/17/depth-skaters-crack-leafs-roster-next-season/

You guys have a nice looking crop of prospects on the rise.

Why wasn't Ashton on that list. He's almost guaranteed to make the 4th line if Orr and/or McLaren aren't there. Carrick will make the team next year if he has another good season, replacing Santorelli on the 4th line. Leivo/Nylander could be there if we trade Lupul and don't like Holland on the 2nd line. Gauthier is still at least a couple of years away probably. Devane is another player who could be on the team next year as a 4th line player. McKegg could also be on the team relatively soon as well, potentially on the 3rd line.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
you cannot put on 10 pounds of pure muscle in one month, especially if you have been working out for some time.

Sure you can. It's also been about 6 weeks since the combine.

These guys have severely strict diets, where there is minimum fat intake, and they are in the gym doing intensive workouts with trainers. It is very possible to add 8-10 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks, especially with how strict most guys are with their diets and training schedules.

Very likely Leafs management said they wanted him to put on muscle, so he already did that.

Jacob8hockey*

I don't believe he put on 10lbs of pure muscle in a month and a bit. That would be very unrealistic especially since he probably didn't work out for at least a 2 week period around the draft time.

I believe he put on 10 lbs though.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Not ridiculous, but shows the kids work ethic

His weight at the combine was 173. Morrison said today that he is now 180+ pounds, which is likely 181-184ish, so he put on between 7-11 pounds, very likely of pure muscle.

This guys don't eat McDonalds to add 10 pounds, they do it in the gym. The weight gained is muscle, which = strength.

An 18 year old kid with a slight frame cannot add 10 pounds of muscle in less than 30 days.. By that logic he would be able to go from 170-200 pounds in one summer, unless you argue at a certain point the body maxes out, which would be strange in and of itself. I think it's a massive achievement to go from 170-180 over the course of an entire offseason, let alone within 30 days. Not to mention even if that was possible, and I'm saying I don't think it is, it would clearly have some impact on quickness.. Which I'm assuming no one on here wants as the only shot of this kid turning into a top 6 high end player is to become the second coming of Patrick Kane, who is neither slow nor massively built.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It wasn't less than 30 days, it was 6-7 weeks.

Is it pure muscle? No, but the majority of it would be.

His official draft combine weight was 173, and our director of scouting says he is now over 180. I am assuming they weighed/measured all the prospects at the rookie camp.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
When I was playing football I would always drop 10 - 15 lbs during the season and quickly add it back after. It is tough for these young guys to keep weight on.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Who cares what he weighs now? Its in September that it matters. Heck, that doesnt even have to mean this September.

It really makes no difference. I'm more concerned with how much he'll weigh by the time he's nhl ready although I am sure he'll be at least 185 (which is minimal for a pure skill player- he doesn't need to be 200lbs). Ideally he should spend time in the ahl or SEL. Management should not rush him yet and being patient with prospects has proven sucessful.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
He doesn't need to be a tank. Kadri is a prime example of a guy that bulked up too much and lost a bit of a step. I'd rather have Nylander at 180lbs-185lbs and burning past Chara, then have him at 200lbs trying to muscle by him. If you have elite speed you don't have to be big, you just have to be daft, an attribute that Nylander has in spades.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I agree, if the intention was to send him back for an overage year, then why bother to sign him and burn off the 1st year of his ELC when they could have waited until after this season to sign him?

If he doesn't play in the NHL it doesn't burn a year of the ELC.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
For a guy with a smaller frame, like Nylander, there is seriously no chance he added an additional ~6% of his weight over that time. Unless, of course, his weight was sitting lower when he was weighed at the draft. i.e. My weight fluctuates about 5 pounds day-to-day. But anyways, was it even stated that he gained 10 pounds or did they just say he weighed 180?

People ITT: Do you even lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad