Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Dubas on David Broll

Did he watch the same David Broll that I watched? The guy was healthy scratched for pretty much the entire Marles post-season run, and yet, some people expect him to be an NHL player? Not too sure about that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Anyone think Greg mckegg has a future on the leafs

He's a dark horse for sure ... Doesn't have the grit/defensive game like Carrick has but he's showed some growth in his game this year and managed to have a good productive year as the season went on

Next year will be a big one for him to keep getting better and maybe push for a 4C role the following season (competing with Carrick)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Did he watch the same David Broll that I watched? The guy was healthy scratched for pretty much the entire Marles post-season run, and yet, some people expect him to be an NHL player? Not too sure about that.

He wasn't benched for his play. Spott was rotating Broll, Biggs and McClaren it seemed and he eventually just stuck with McClaren for some reason. Plus he's talking about when Broll played for him on the Greyhounds in Junior.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He's a dark horse for sure ... Doesn't have the grit/defensive game like Carrick has but he's showed some growth in his game this year and managed to have a good productive year as the season went on

Next year will be a big one for him to keep getting better and maybe push for a 4C role the following season (competing with Carrick)

Mckegg in the end game will have to be a winger in the bigs IMO. He's an interesting prospect but as I sort of had an idea he'd struggle with AHL jump he has but he's slowly progressing. His skating from the past has improved for sure.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The only thing that will keep McKegg out of the NHL would be his skating.

He is defensively responsible, he's got a solid frame and plays in the tough areas. I can't remember too much about his shot at the moment, but all of the things that he needs to improve on can happen. I think that he'll have another year with the Marlies and then should look to move up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only thing that will keep McKegg out of the NHL would be his skating.

He is defensively responsible, he's got a solid frame and plays in the tough areas. I can't remember too much about his shot at the moment, but all of the things that he needs to improve on can happen. I think that he'll have another year with the Marlies and then should look to move up.

Skating and aggressiveness will be a challenge for him.

Overall though I don't think he's got NHL potential, at least not long-term. He may get a few games here and there, and then bounce around... but I just don't see his game going to the next level.

He's a great AHLer though and could be a good depth player to keep for the next couple years t bounce between the AHL and the NHL but I just don't see him having an impact on the Leafs at all.

It's not a bad thing nor is he a bust per say. I'm just relaying my views of him on the Marlies. This upcoming season should be a big one for him. I'm really hoping he can be that #1 center there and perhaps show more then what I've seen.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
McKegg will be a career AHLer in Toronto but only because our C depth is pretty good right now, minus a #1C. He'll be a very good call up though when one of our C get injured.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
McKegg will be a career AHLer in Toronto but only because our C depth is pretty good right now, minus a #1C. He'll be a very good call up though when one of our C get injured.

bozak, kadri, holland, kontiola, santorelli

i wouldnt call this good center depth. a lot of centers isnt the same as good center depth. duchene, mackinnon, stastny, ror is good center depth.

mckegg needs to improve a lot to make the nhl. i would be shocked if he is an upgrade but the sad thing is the bar isnt set so high right now.

Tyler Biggs*

Brown Displays Leadership At Maple Leafs Camp: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726833

TORONTO - One of the more intriguing players at Toronto Maple Leafs prospect camp was forward Connor Brown.

At 20 years old he was one of the veterans at the camp and arrived after a career year with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League.

Brown led the OHL in scoring with 128 points and won the league MVP award. His 83 assists were first in the league and his 45 goals were tied for fourth. Though he played alongside a handful of other prolific scorers, including 2015 NHL Draft top prospect Connor McDavid and Washington Capitals 2013 first-round pick (No. 23) Andre Burakovsky, Brown, the Maple Leafs' 2012 sixth-round pick (No. 156) was prepared to be a leader among his fellow prospects.

Let's get him on a line with Nylander.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
bozak, kadri, holland, kontiola, santorelli

i wouldnt call this good center depth. a lot of centers isnt the same as good center depth. duchene, mackinnon, stastny, ror is good center depth.

mckegg needs to improve a lot to make the nhl. i would be shocked if he is an upgrade but the sad thing is the bar isnt set so high right now.

If we got a #1C our C depth would look like this

xxx
Kadri
Bozak
Holland/Carrick

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Anyone think Greg mckegg has a future on the leafs

He scored pretty well for a 21 year old last year in his second AHL season. Took the necessary steps you want to see from a prospect. Next year should be a big one for him as he needs to keep trending upwards with more competition incoming.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a big mckegg fan but i'll admit i was dissappointed with the way he finished the regular season and with his playoff performance.

This is a big year for him. Imo he's gotta step and be a legit topline ppgish type ahl guy this year if he really has an nhl scoring fture,

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If we got a #1C our C depth would look like this

xxx
Kadri
Bozak
Holland/Carrick

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

holland isnt a 4th line center. im not saying he isnt an nhl player but the way his career seems to be going he is looking like he is going to be a journeyman tweener. holland on the 4th is putting a square peg in a round hole.

carrick hasnt played an nhl game yet so i wouldnt could my chickens before they hatch.

kadri is barely a 2nd line center. there is more to the position then just putting up points. kadri can barely take a faceoff and his below average defensively.

bozak as a #2 center could probably work.

look at how our center stack up against other teams. we really are near the bottom in the nhl at center depth. (i guess it depends on your hypothetical situation on who the #1 center is)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
holland isnt a 4th line center. im not saying he isnt an nhl player but the way his career seems to be going he is looking like he is going to be a journeyman tweener. holland on the 4th is putting a square peg in a round hole.

carrick hasnt played an nhl game yet so i wouldnt could my chickens before they hatch.

kadri is barely a 2nd line center. there is more to the position then just putting up points. kadri can barely take a faceoff and his below average defensively.

bozak as a #2 center could probably work.

look at how our center stack up against other teams. we really are near the bottom in the nhl at center depth. (i guess it depends on your hypothetical situation on who the #1 center is)

Kadri may not be the best defensively but he has improved and keeps improving that area of his game. It doesn't help when he has wingers who can't really play defense either. Kadri is perfect as a #2C and I don't know why people would think otherwise. If people consider Speeza a #1C then Kadri is easily a #2C who can fill in at the #1 spot. Holland might be more of a 3rd or even a 2nd line C, but if he plays as a 4th line C with wingers who can play, then we have a 4th line who can play 10+ minutes a night and contribute. Our 4th line the past few seasons are lucky to play 5 minutes a game and that just means more wear and tear on our top lines and look what has happened the last 2 seasons. We collapsed.

That'd be ideal minutes for all 4 lines assuming you have 4 lines that can actually play hockey. Everyone's happy with that they get to play and don't have to sit on the bench all game and just watch. We have the depth and the talent to put together a very good bottom 6 who can play and contribute. Our top 6 is what we really need to work on, because other then JVR, none of our top 6 forwards have a complete game as well as his.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/07/23/mlhs-in-conversation-with-dave-morrison-part-1/

Great interview with Dave Morrison. Highly recommended. Good insight with their philosophy, talking about Nylander and what position he'll play in the NHL and among other things.

AP: I don’t know if you know this, but they showed your table at the draft and it looked like you, Shanahan, and Nonis were arguing right before you drafted Nylander.

DM: Yeah, it wasn’t an argument, it was more a discussion about the pick because there was different scenarios that could have happened at that time so I was sort of stating my case on where we stood as a staff. There’s always different scenarios that can happen, trades and things, so there was a discussion about, “okay this is what we can do, can’t do.” So I basically laid out how we felt as a staff. I guess it was a normal, pre-pick discussion because a lot of those things happen very quickly. When you have opportunities to do different things with your pick, sometimes it can be an ongoing discussion for that whole day leading up to it, and then all of a sudden it gets down to crunch time and it’s like “okay, this is what we have to do; do we want to do this or not, and is this your guy?” All those types of discussions happen. I guess, at the end of the day, it came out like we wanted it to come out, so that’s good.

[...]

AP: Is he actually 5’9? (Speaking of Nylander)

DM: Now he’s actually 5’11+. I can’t say for certain, but I know he’s minimum 5’11, maybe 5’11 and a half. And he might still be growing. I’m pretty certain he’s 183 pounds right now. He’s a lot bigger than people keep saying he is. If you saw him on the stage, he’s almost the same height as me and I’m 6’1.

AP: That’s funny because I was thinking about that comparison between he and you on the stage.

DM: It’s funny you say that because when I got back to the table, the guys at the table were going “he’s almost as big as you.” And I said, I know, I don’t know why everyone thinks he’s such a small kid. He’s not a small kid.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
No point in debunking it. People will just makeup something else. He's a Leaf so there has to be damning flaws.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kadri ranks very well amongst centers in both production and possession. All data indicates he was a very good #2 C at ages 22 & 23.

Ace88*

Kadri ranks very well amongst centers in both production and possession. All data indicates he was a very good #2 C at ages 22 & 23.

Yeah i dont even know how anyone can argue that he's a "borderline" 2C. All indications are that he's a very good 2C at this young age and he has much more room to grow. Those that are unhappy with him anchoring our 2nd line seriously boggle the mind.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah i dont even know how anyone can argue that he's a "borderline" 2C. All indications are that he's a very good 2C at this young age and he has much more room to grow. Those that are unhappy with him anchoring our 2nd line seriously boggle the mind.

Especially considering he had a puck-hogging turnover machine in Raymond, or Clarkson on his wing for most of the season, and the only time they actually looked all that good was the few games Kulemim played he and Lupul.

Tyler Biggs*

News: The Marlies have signed 2013-14 ECHL MVP Mickey Lang to a one-year AHL contract. Lang led the league in 2013-14 with 44 goals. He was the first player to score at least 40 goals in a season since 2010-11.

Dayzer

Jul 22, 2014

I think management is molding Mckegg to be a top 6 forward though. He probably has some type of recognition within management because he captained our rookie team last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad