Marlies / Prospects Thread Spring 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Since when have Marlies vets ever been overrated? Kostka was hated from day 1 till the day he left and Ranger (who isn't really an AHL vet at all) got almost no support from this fanbase in essentially his second rookie season. Holzer is hardly even considered for NHL work anymore.

MacIntyre would be a fine backup. I remember hearing how Scrivens was a typical AHL star too. I find it hilarious the way people dismiss Drew on one hand, and say they want goalies like Montoya and Greiss in the same breath.

No I think the Marlies vets are vastly underrated in Toronto. The Marlies are unquestionably a top AHL team and have been for years now. Teams with good NHL depth start out with good AHL rosters.

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Finn won't play. He might join them to practice and what not but I highly doubt Spott and the Marlies will put him right in.

You don't change a winning lineup just to slide in a rookie straight out the CHL. As good as Finn is, he wasn't there for the year and it wouldn't be fair to a player that has been working hard under Spott to sit out because Finn is coming in. It's the same for Gauthier, Nilsson, Loov, Verhaeghe, Brown, etc.

All the rookies will have their chance to shine next season and start straight from training camp.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Since when have Marlies vets ever been overrated? Kostka was hated from day 1 till the day he left and Ranger (who isn't really an AHL vet at all) got almost no support from this fanbase in essentially his second rookie season. Holzer is hardly even considered for NHL work anymore.

MacIntyre would be a fine backup. I remember hearing how Scrivens was a typical AHL star too. I find it hilarious the way people dismiss Drew on one hand, and say they want goalies like Montoya and Greiss in the same breath.

No I think the Marlies vets are vastly underrated in Toronto. The Marlies are unquestionably a top AHL team and have been for years now.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Plus, MacIntyre looked solid in his short season stint and in pre-season at the beginning of the year.

He's paid his dues and sometimes goaltenders peek at weird times. He'll be dirt cheap also, compared to someone like Greiss or even Montoya... they will get around 1.5M if not over due to a few teams looking for a backup.

I'd be more then fine giving MacIntyre the backup role if we can't keep Reimer for one more season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I was thinking the exact same thing. Plus, MacIntyre looked solid in his short season stint and in pre-season at the beginning of the year.

He's paid his dues and sometimes goaltenders peek at weird times. He'll be dirt cheap also, compared to someone like Greiss or even Montoya... they will get around 1.5M if not over due to a few teams looking for a backup.

I'd be more then fine giving MacIntyre the backup role if we can't keep Reimer for one more season.

me too. give Drew a chance.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I can remember the Leafs trading for a veteran goalie of uncertain age who had got stuck in the minors. A guy named Bower. It seemed to work out OK.

Yeah, I really am getting old.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Sun, Toronto Maple Leafs Vice President of Hockey Operations Dave Poulin says the hockey club knows that in the salary cap era you have to draft and develop your own players. Poulin also mentions that the Leafs do have a couple of defencemen (Petter Granberg and Stuart Percy) coming up who are going to be good players.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/25/marlies-kids-are-coming-through

Greg McKegg, Sam Carrick and Josh Leivo were a full line before Spencer Abbott’s return from injury, Stuart Percy and Petter Granberg form a strong blueline pairing and picks such as Jamie Devane, Tyler Biggs, Andrew McWilliam, Kenny Ryan, David Broll and Brad Ross pop up throughout the roster. Most have made a strong statement at some time in these playoffs, with the Marlies up 1-0 on the Texas Stars as the Western Conference final continues here Monday. Seven Marlies made NHL debuts with the Leafs this year already.

“It’s an enormous factor for us,†said Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin. “We know in the salary cap era that you have to draft and develop your own players. And this is the first curve for us (in a few years).

“Everyone says to us: ‘Well, they’re not impact players’. But if Morgan were here with the Marlies (the plan for 2014-15 before he took off this year), you would’ve said he’ll make the Leafs. The same for Jake Gardiner or others already up there. But we need to fill around them now from the Marlies.â€

Marlies coaches are particularly fond of a player such as Carrick, who shows signs of turning into a two-way threat.

“Look at the importance of those players in the NHL in these playoffs,†Poulin said. “Look who is winning it for so many teams, guys such as Brandon Bollig, Brian Boyle, Dale Weise, the impact of third and fourth-liners. Everyone has two or three top-line players. It’s the balance you need.

“And I would argue we do have a couple of defencemen coming up. Petter and Stu are going to be good players. We’re not developing all No. 6 defencemen here. We’re doing very well with a very young lineup. No one is sure what’s going to happen in the future, but I’m confident we’re on the right track, developing the right culture."

CalgaryLeaf*

According to the Toronto Sun, Toronto Maple Leafs Vice President of Hockey Operations Dave Poulin says the hockey club knows that in the salary cap era you have to draft and develop your own players. Poulin also mentions that the Leafs do have a couple of defencemen (Petter Granberg and Stuart Percy) coming up who are going to be good players.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/25/marlies-kids-are-coming-through

So..... "you have to draft and develop your own players"..That Poulin guy sounds like a genius.;):laugh:

CalgaryLeaf*

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs
Congrats @BibeauAntoine01 named the Most Outstanding Goalie at the 2014 Memorial Cup: http://*******/Rsid8S #TMLtalk #Leafs

So after years of looking for a #1 goalie and finally getting one in Bernier,the Leafs possibly hit on a stud goalie prospect?...Bernier is just entering his prime and should be good for the next 6-7 years...For some reason Goalie prospects,even good ones, don't get a fair return in a trade...Look at what LA got in return for Bernier.

That said,keep the good prospects coming...You never know what'll happen in the future...I hope he makes the world junior's team next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So after years of looking for a #1 goalie and finally getting one in Bernier,the Leafs possibly hit on a stud goalie prospect?...Bernier is just entering his prime and should be good for the next 6-7 years...For some reason Goalie prospects,even good ones, don't get a fair return in a trade...Look at what LA got in return for Bernier.

That said,keep the good prospects coming...You never know what'll happen in the future...I hope he makes the world junior's team next season.

Goaltenders are so tough to predict. Some of them dominate the junior level and completely suck as pro's, where the complete opposite can happen, and then the inbetweeners.

Justin Pogge is a prime example of that. Jonathan Bernier had pretty average stats for a top prospect in junior, but really took off when he became a pro.

Bibeau has been amazing so far and carried his Val D'Or team to third place at the Memorial cup but there's still a lot to prove. It's a good start though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
MacIntyre would be a fine backup. He looked good in the game or two he played with us, and he's absolutely ridiculous at the AHL level.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I guess I'm in the minority then. I'd much prefer Reimer, who's a cost-controlled RFA, shown real NHL ability, should be dirt cheap after last season, and was so bad, it's almost a statistical impossibility that he'll be that bad again next year.

mikebel111*

Yeah I am with you guys, not sure how some can say Drew isn't NHL calibre. He controls his rebounds, calm in the net, nice glove, lateral movement is fine
Spott said he is an NHL calibre goaltender.
IPunch has some nice points, Kostka was just totally over used just like Holzer, Now look at Holzer, one of the top defenders on Marlies. Holzer is a third pairing guy and would flourish, but its maybe not with us with the defenders coming next season. I think Holzer will sign somewhere else
Ranger struggled, but he really turned it around afterwards. Reliable.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
IPunch has some nice points, Kostka was just totally over used just like Holzer, Now look at Holzer, one of the top defenders on Marlies. Holzer is a third pairing guy and would flourish, but its maybe not with us with the defenders coming next season. I think Holzer will sign somewhere else

Holzer has been a top defender on the Marlies for 4 years now. Not much progress.

mikebel111*

I guess I'm in the minority then. I'd much prefer Reimer, who's a cost-controlled RFA, shown real NHL ability, should be dirt cheap after last season, and was so bad, it's almost a statistical impossibility that he'll be that bad again next year.

I would as well but I think its almost set in stone James is gone

CalgaryLeaf*

Reimer was terrible down the stretch...The entire team stunk too but he never stood on his head when they really needed him...I'd move on and trade him...They'll be lucky to get a late 2nd rounder for him...Good dude & teammate but he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Yeah I am with you guys, not sure how some can say Drew isn't NHL calibre. He controls his rebounds, calm in the net, nice glove, lateral movement is fine
Spott said he is an NHL calibre goaltender.

Holzer's still signed for next season so unless he's traded he'll be with the Leafs or Marlies

mikebel111*

Holzer's still signed for next season so unless he's traded he'll be with the Leafs or Marlies

Oh nice! I think moves are coming with the depth on the blue line next season on Marlies. I think it might be Holzer though I hope he stays

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Which is unfortunate.

Reimer was terrible down the stretch...The entire team stunk too but he never stood on his head when they really needed him...I'd move on and trade him...They'll be lucky to get a late 2nd rounder for him...Good dude & teammate but he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

IMO the team started to regress right when Reimer did as well, which sucked. You could probably offer sheet him and end up paying nothing, but that seems like a managerial faux pas. Can't see much more than a mid pick or a similar RFA in return.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So..... "you have to draft and develop your own players"..That Poulin guy sounds like a genius.;):laugh:

Yeah and here is a quote from the Dallas GM:

“It’s a priority for us,†he said of center depth. “I think if you want to be a contender, you have to be deep down the middle. That’s something we’ve talked about over and over again.â€
Genius.
Forget what you have learned Leafs.
You must unlearn.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Luckily with goalie prospects he'll be a few years away.

At least 2 seasons of AHL backup/starting, then if he keeps progressing he can play back up for 2-3 more seasons and develop under bernier, by then Bernier will be in his early 30's.

member 147413

I'd play Finn, Knodel etc over Yeo. Guy is a complete plug.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
Wow Brennan is really bad at defense. Just singlehandedly cost us that 5th goal and probably the game right here.

Hope they try him at forward or something, he obviously has a penchant for scoring and a shot worth hanging onto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad