Marlies/Prospect Thread 13-14 V 1.0 - Gauthier signs ATO/Johnson RotY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
D'Amigo & Carrick

Passion and high competes and raise the game when it counts..

An improvement over Kulimen & McClement in my opinion..

Orr/McLaren replaced by Devane another step up

Leivo has to make this team next season another upgrade over whoever he replaces..

Then add Komorov

Makes for a huge upgrade in compete and work ethic

Why go through another year of more FA signings

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
wow we should just call d'amigo 'clutch'. 5 points in 2 play off games. he's been among our best post season marlies players also prior. he's not afraid of pressure, that's for sure.

if he was consistent, i think i compete for second line on the leafs (vs. clarkson or raymond?), but he may never be.
Gotta think D'Amigo will make the team out of camp next year. The guys got a great motor and could be really solid in the bottom 6. I'm actually quite excited to see what our bottom two lines will look like next year. Could really provide more "jam" to our game. Lots of energy guys who have some skill and will hit and pester the other team.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Out: Lupul, Franson, Raymond, Kulemin, Reimer.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
XXXXX - Kadri - XXXXX
XXXXX - XXXXX - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Carrick
Bodie/Devane/Broll/Orr/McLaren

XXXXX - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Rielly - Holzer/Granberg
Granberg/Holzer

Bernier
Backup

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
D'Amigo & Carrick

Passion and high competes and raise the game when it counts..

An improvement over Kulimen & McClement in my opinion..

Orr/McLaren replaced by Devane another step up

Leivo has to make this team next season another upgrade over whoever he replaces..

Then add Komorov

Makes for a huge upgrade in compete and work ethic

Why go through another year of more FA signings

I hope we get Komarov back. I agree that youth needs to come in, but I would far rather let Leivo, Devane & Carrick start next season in the AHL and earn a spot through their play. I still think they have more to learn but are getting close to being NHL ready. I would bring back McClement on the cheap as worst case scenario we move him or Carrick to the wing if he makes a push for a fourth line job.

I would be content with:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel (18 min)
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson (18 min)
Ashton - Holland - D'amigo (12 min)
Komarov - McClement - Bodie (12 min)

As long as we are playing all four lines. Keeps our cap flexible as well for additional call ups and injury replacements, who will be Leivo, McKegg, & Smith? for top 6 and Carrick, Devane, Broll for bottom 6

Then to be followed up by (2015-16):

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
D'amigo - Holland - Clarkson
Komarov - McClement - Devane / Komarov - Carrick - McClement
Broll, Ashton

Fourth line is flexible to different opponents and injuries. We will also most likely have Gauthier, & Brown also developing in the minors.

Tyler Biggs*

Retweeted by Jonas Siegel
Toronto Marlies ‏@TorontoMarlies 49m
News: #Marlies have signed Frederik Gauthier to an ATO for the remainder of the playoffs.

People complaining about his goals don't understand that he is a defensive minded YOUNG centre. The Leafs are sorely lacking this type of player. He's got size, he's very dependable defensively, and he's got some skill. He developed his defensive game first, and is now trying to develop his offensive game. He is developing the right way, defense first. He'll either be a good 2-way 2'nd line centre, or a great 3'rd line centre.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People complaining about his goals don't understand that he is a defensive minded YOUNG centre. The Leafs are sorely lacking this type of player. He's got size, he's very dependable defensively, and he's got some skill. He developed his defensive game first, and is now trying to develop his offensive game. He is developing the right way, defense first. He'll either be a good 2-way 2'nd line centre, or a great 3'rd line centre.

Biggs was named by Morrison to be the best defensive fwd we have in the system after he drafted Gauthier.

I'm not sure of the offence these 2 will bring, but maybe both can develop into 15 goal scorers and be a shutdown lean on you type of line.

One day, this would be wonderful if it happened.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Biggs was named by Morrison to be the best defensive fwd we have in the system after he drafted Gauthier.

I'm not sure of the offence these 2 will bring, but maybe both can develop into 15 goal scorers and be a shutdown lean on you type of line.

One day, this would be wonderful if it happened.

I think that's the way they've been groomed thus far in their development. Two big guys at 6'2 205lbs and 6'5 214lbs. I don't think speed will be an issue for Gauthier but I'm not sure how far Biggs has gotten since his draft year. I think Biggs will be ready sooner given his playstyle and I think Gauthier might not be too far behind him.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I think that's the way they've been groomed thus far in their development. Two big guys at 6'2 205lbs and 6'5 214lbs. I don't think speed will be an issue for Gauthier but I'm not sure how far Biggs has gotten since his draft year. I think Biggs will be ready sooner given his playstyle and I think Gauthier might not be too far behind him.

Wouldn't Biggs have a bigger role on the Marlies next year? I would leave him down there longer to see if his offense can develop.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
MacIntyre has the same stats as John Gibson 2 games into Playoffs. Obvious age difference, but Drew is pretty solid. I would be fine with him as our backup next year.

Also if damigo isn't on our 3rd line next year for the full year I am going to be very disappointed. But im a leafs fan...used to being disappointed lol

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Wouldn't Biggs have a bigger role on the Marlies next year? I would leave him down there longer to see if his offense can develop.

Everyone that thinks Biggs is a bust, doesn't realize he is following the same development plan as most of our prospects. They aren't treating him any different because he was our first round pick. People need to remember Ashton was hyped pre-draft, then was considered a bust in TB and now he is one of the Marlies top scorers and should be a full time NHLer next season. D'amigo was hyped huge after his first WJC, then had a slow first AHL season and was considered a one hit wonder and the same goes for him with the Marlies and Leafs. Now, Carrick is following the same path, after spending last season in the ECHL and falling off the radar. The truth is, all these players were not busts and management never thought they were, they just needed to learn a well rounded defensive game first and are now being rewarded with offensive minutes in the AHL. Biggs will get his shot next season. Everyone is claiming we need to do a Detroit model and we need to be patient, but don't realize we have been. Just the media and fans call everyone a bust so quickly, we don't get to enjoy a players development. We just want NHL ready players who are already contributing to their teams (Hertl, Saad, Grigenson), but in reality, we are ignoring the huge holes in their games and only focusing on their skills.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

I think both Gauthier and Biggs suffer from stat watching fans who believe the teams who have the best point producers will win more hockey games then teams who have smart, hard to play against players through out their line up.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I think both Gauthier and Biggs suffer from stat watching fans who believe the teams who have the best point producers will win more hockey games then teams who have smart, hard to play against players through out their line up.

Hmm. Not exactly. It's not all about stat watching, however...if you can't put up points at the AHL level history tells us that you probably won't be able to put them up at the NHL level. It's not exactly hard logic or a prerequisite...but that's usually the way it works.

AKA Biggs might not be a bust, but unless he can put up 30 goals in the AHL he probably won't ever end up putting up 20 goals in the NHL, which most of us hoped he would end up doing when he was selected 22nd overall.

mikebel111*

Biggs is progressing fine and Spott has praised him as well.He is being brought up slow.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hmm. Not exactly. It's not all about stat watching, however...if you can't put up points at the AHL level history tells us that you probably won't be able to put them up at the NHL level. It's not exactly hard logic or a prerequisite...but that's usually the way it works.

AKA Biggs might not be a bust, but unless he can put up 30 goals in the AHL he probably won't ever end up putting up 20 goals in the NHL, which most of us hoped he would end up doing when he was selected 22nd overall.

But then again, he is being played in a defensive shut down role on the 4th and some time on the 3rd line in his first pro season so expecting him to put up good offensive numbers would be judging him by just stats watching. Next season he will most likely play between the 3rd and 2nd line and perhaps get some PP time. Then we will see more of his offensive potential. And if we dont then, well then we can start calling him a bust, offensively. Still think he will become a useful player for us either way.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
are you a bust if you still work out for the team? I would consider a bust simply 100 percent able to help the team at all.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Tyler Biggs is still only 21 years old. I give him at least 2-3 more seasons to develop his offensive game. I love his development track so far, and am really pleased to hear that management is happy with the way he's rounding out his defensive game. People need to stop expecting every player to have their game completely figured out by 19-21, it just doesn't work that way. Biggs and Gauthier are the kind of guys who, if they put it together, will be fan favourites for over a decade of strong, competitive hockey. As long as they show that they are putting in the hard work to learn and grow, I have no issue with giving players 5-6 post-draft years to develop, if that's what they need to become the best, most complete versions of themselves.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
But then again, he is being played in a defensive shut down role on the 4th and some time on the 3rd line in his first pro season so expecting him to put up good offensive numbers would be judging him by just stats watching. Next season he will most likely play between the 3rd and 2nd line and perhaps get some PP time. Then we will see more of his offensive potential. And if we dont then, well then we can start calling him a bust, offensively. Still think he will become a useful player for us either way.

People like to point this out but if he had the offensive skills and potential of an Abbott, a McKegg, or a Leivo they would be putting him in the top six and power play units. Lol, like come on guys...it's great that they're playing him in a defensive shut down role and developing his defensive side of the game but there's a reason he's not put in an offensive role and it's because he's just not good enough.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
are you a bust if you still work out for the team? I would consider a bust simply 100 percent able to help the team at all.

You're a bust on this site if you don't hit you "ceiling". Which is an extremely low possibility to begin with.

But when people see Biggs compared to a guy like Lucic he's already a bust.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The ones who thought Biggs would be a Lucic are all upset.

Biggs very likely will be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but not as offensive as some thought

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The ones who thought Biggs would be a Lucic are all upset.

Biggs very likely will be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but not as offensive as some thought

I always said if Biggs turned into a Chris Neil I would be happy. I just don't think Biggs is as mean though.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
People like to point this out but if he had the offensive skills and potential of an Abbott, a McKegg, or a Leivo they would be putting him in the top six and power play units. Lol, like come on guys...it's great that they're playing him in a defensive shut down role and developing his defensive side of the game but there's a reason he's not put in an offensive role and it's because he's just not good enough.

McKeeg had 8 goals in his first pro season, Biggs had 7. Abbott had 13 but then he was also 24.

Not saying I know Biggs will be fine offensively, how could I. Just saying he is developing and he has the tools to be effective offensively at the NHL level and I believe he will. A Brouwer type of player, sort of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I'm going to temper my criticisms of picking Gauthier after hearing Morrison's explanation why we took him. He said Freddy will be a comfortable #3C that teams need to win.

If we can get some top 6C's, then this is what I call team building. A long view as opposed to a short term view. I look at the Marlies and Morrison's picks are team picks, can't argue with success. Character kids seems to be the culture down there.

So I am going to look fwd when Freddy can be that #3C for us one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad