Marlies/Prospect Thread 13-14 V 1.0 - Gauthier signs ATO/Johnson RotY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Carrick has surprised me, he is 22, he might have another year in the AHL, but with Mcclement unlikely back, he's the perfect replacement for him to atleast start on the 4th line. Carrick may even work his way up in the line up with time. With a strong playoff, he will even put himself more on the radar to Leafs Mgt.

Been saying for years, Carrick is one of our most under-rated prospects. Many are highly touted and considered top six forwards, but end up not making it. Carrick will most likely be 4th line forward who, eventually, has ability to step up and play 3rd line if needed. Shouldn't underestimate the value in having really good bottom six forwards. Like to see him getting another full year in the AHL, but getting a longer look in the exhibition season and some time as a call-up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Been saying for years, Carrick is one of our most under-rated prospects. Many are highly touted and considered top six forwards, but end up not making it. Carrick will most likely be 4th line forward who, eventually, has ability to step up and play 3rd line if needed. Shouldn't underestimate the value in having really good bottom six forwards. Like to see him getting another full year in the AHL, but getting a longer look in the exhibition season and some time as a call-up.

He will have a chance to shine this playoffs, looks like he is going to play in the Marlie Top 6, and judging by Spott's comments. He trusts him completely.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He will have a chance to shine this playoffs, looks like he is going to play in the Marlie Top 6, and judging by Spott's comments. He trusts him completely.

I highly doubt he'll be playing over McKegg and Smith, whom have been the top 6 centers for most of the year when they were there and healthy.

Carrick excels in an energy role on the third line, which is where he'll be to when the playoffs start tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that either, since this is where he's looked the best.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I highly doubt he'll be playing over McKegg and Smith, whom have been the top 6 centers for most of the year when they were there and healthy.

Carrick excels in an energy role on the third line, which is where he'll be to when the playoffs start tomorrow. Nothing wrong with that either, since this is where he's looked the best.

He's been playing with Leivo and McKegg hasn't he?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ Holland too

Would like to see Carrick in the AHL for another year, more in a top 6 role .. And wearing a letter by the sounds of how much he's liked by Spott

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been playing with Leivo and McKegg hasn't he?

^ Holland too

Would like to see Carrick in the AHL for another year, more in a top 6 role .. And wearing a letter by the sounds of how much he's liked by Spott

It's been a mish-mash of line combinations. We might see Carrick or McKegg move to the wing, which is like you said what the line combinations have been lately. As Bert mentioned, Holland should be healthy enough to go so perhaps it's a good option for them.

There's a lot of depth on the Marlies right now and I think Carrick in a position where he looks the best would be a lot better.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
I have read a lot of posts about leaving Carrick & D'Amigo & Leivo in AHL for another year

Why?

Were going to lose Kulimen Raymond Orr McClaren McClement and maybe more..

So what do we do sign more FA to 2-3 year deals???? Blocking the kids even more from getting here..

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I have read a lot of posts about leaving Carrick & D'Amigo & Leivo in AHL for another year

Why?

Were going to lose Kulimen Raymond Orr McClaren McClement and maybe more..

So what do we do sign more FA to 2-3 year deals???? Blocking the kids even more from getting here..

Promote D'Amigo, Ashton, and Holland ... Resign McClement for another year to two, or find a 4th line centre on a 1 year deal ... Plus resign Bodie and you have more than enough bodies to cover those spots

Don't promote all the kids at once ... Mix them in with a UFA signing or two on short term, 1-2 year deals

mikebel111*

I doubt Carrick is in top 6 role. Especially by the sounds of it, Holland and Ashton returning. Spott also hoping Abbott is back for game 1. If not, than he will back at some point in the series.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Seeing the post 1st lockout ****show and this season's results, I wouldn't be totally opposed to having a massive youth movement. At worst we get crappier then we are and end up in the lottery, at best our young kids who come from a great winning AHL program contribute and we make it to the post season. We can save some money and even sign a big ticket UFA in the future to bolster the lineup.

Forwards:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Ashton
Clarkson - Holland - D'Amigo
Komarov - Carrick - Broll/Devane

Defense:
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Percy/Granberg - Gardiner
Ranger

Goalies:
Bernier
backup

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Seeing the post 1st lockout ****show and this season's results, I wouldn't be totally opposed to having a massive youth movement. At worst we get crappier then we are and end up in the lottery, at best our young kids who come from a great winning AHL program contribute and we make it to the post season. We can save some money and even sign a big ticket UFA in the future to bolster the lineup.

Forwards:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Ashton

Defense:
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Ranger

Goalies:
Bernier
backup

What's the point in having Komarov on the cap if you're icing a tank lineup. No need for him. Let a truculent prospect play instead. He probably won't even come here if this was the case anyways.

member 147413

Agree with promoting some kids.

I think we may see this next year...

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
???? - ???? - ????(Abbott longshot)
Ashton - Holland - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClemment - Bodie
Devane

???? - ????
Rielly - ????
???? - Holzer
MacWilliam

Bernier
MacIntyre (I think management loves Mac and want to "reward" him, but they also believe he is capable of starting 15-22 games.

Don't see JVR, Bozak, Kessel and Clarkson being moved and I also don't see Lupul, Kadri being kept. They will re-sign McClemment. Raymond, Kulemin and Bolland will walk. *Potentially see Bolland signed short term and will fight with Holland for the 2 spot, with the other taking the 3rd. Ashton, Holland, D'Amigo, Holzer, MacWilliam and Devane can't learn much more in the minors, they need to be put in positions to succeed in the NHL. I also have absolutely no idea who will be returning on defense, I thin only Rielly is a given, but I also really hope Gardiner stays, I believe he is our best dman and the numbers (corsi) agree.

PK 1 - McClemment - D'Amigo
PK 2 - Bozak - Ashton
Extras - Ryan, JVR, ???

PP 1 - JVR - Bozak - Kessel
PP 2 - ??? - Holland - ???

Marlies with no new signings next year...

Leivo - McKegg - Kozun
Broll - Carrick - Brown
Ross - Ryan - Biggs
McLaren - Rupert - ???

Percy - Granberg
Finn - Nilsson
Loov - Knodel
Marshall

Sparks
Gibson

Marlies team will be fun to watch, and I think they'll be successful with their youth.

Just educated guesses, no sources or anything.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've been pimping Carrick almost since the day he's been drafted.
His skillset and physicality reminds me of a poor mans Mike Fisher. Obviously doesnt have the offensive upside Fisher does but the rest of the twos game are pretty similar.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I doubt Carrick is in top 6 role. Especially by the sounds of it, Holland and Ashton returning. Spott also hoping Abbott is back for game 1. If not, than he will back at some point in the series.

Kozun - Smith - Abbott?
Ashton - Holland - D'amigo
Leivo - McKegg - Carrick

Time will tell who Spott considers his top 6, but that will be the top 9 for sure, bering injuries.

As for next season, It is very well possible only 1 of those lines is still on the Marlies.

mikebel111*

Kozun - Smith - Abbott?
Leivo - McKegg - Carrick

Time will tell who Spott considers his top 6, but that will be the top 9 for sure, bering injuries.

As for next season, It is very well possible only 1 of those lines is still on the Marlies.

Yeah likely if those injured players return. Except the lines i think will be a little different than those you posted. I expect Leivo to be on top line. Kozun likely in 3rd line role. Than again each of those lines could be considered top lines.
I like the depth

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kozun - Smith - Abbott?
Leivo - McKegg - Carrick

I don't think Kozun is coming back, I forget who said it earlier when we first acquired him, but basically he'll likely head to Europe for next season because it's not likely he'll get a chance in the NHL

I could see Smith coming back, knowing full well he will get a chance as a call up, although next season, Carrick could be our first choice for a call up for the bottom 6C position if injuries occur.

Leivo is probably a good injury call up for a 2nd/3rd line role.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Forwards:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Ashton

Defense:
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Ranger

Goalies:
Bernier
backup

What an awful line up. I'm all for the you movement but at least put players in position to succeed

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
D'amigo - Holland - Clarkson
Ashton - Carrick - Broll

But doubt they would go into the season with 6 question marks up front

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
What an awful line up. I'm all for the you movement but at least put players in position to succeed

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Leivo
D'amigo - Holland - Clarkson
Ashton - Carrick - Broll

But doubt they would go into the season with 6 question marks up front

actually, i don't think the other line up is awful. however, if broll is unproven, you sign brodie who's done all the right things.

and really if fourth line is getting minimal min, then it's not really that important at this point but i'd like to see:

jvr bozak kessel
lupul kadri komorov (who played with kadri on 3rd line in the shortened season for parts, he has speed and fights on the boards. i think an upgrade from clarkson)
d'amigo (he's shown he can keep up with the speed) holland clarkson (if he's not traded)

mcclement bodie ashton (while not scoring goals, has shown he's not a defensive liability)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brown against Finn tonight on Sportsnet. A couple prospects to watch out for as well. Should be a fun match to watch.

mikebel111*

Hoping to see Brown play for the first time today. Than of course we also have Matt "the beauty" Finn.
I will try to do a gdt for Finn but no promises

mikebel111*

Puck went to point and than a mini 2 on 1 in front of net, a pass to other player was deflected by Finn. He might have saved a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad