Markus Nutivaara

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think he's waiver exempt and has a lot of upside, so the Jackets shouldn't be in any hurry to move him.

If the Sabres want to make it worth our while to move him this summer it wouldn't be a price you'd like. I doubt a second rounder would cut it.

What about a Foligno? Bring the brothers together?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What about a Foligno? Bring the brothers together?

No thanks. Mobile D-men that can move the puck and are smart are a premium to retain. We are fairly deep up front with more talent on the way. Less in the cupboard for D-men. Bringing brothers together isn't a negotiating piece in my opinion.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Trading Nutivaara just doesn't make sense. Young, cost-controlled bottom pairing D who is more than capable of moving the puck and playing a sound two-way game. His reasonable return in a trade would be like a high 3rd rounder, but that pick doesn't do anything for us right now.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Hopefully Nutti is not going anywhere, I think Jarmo would not be willing to trade any of of our good young talent.. especially not for other teams coming waiver candidates.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
He's not untouchable, but I don't really see a trade that would be worthwhile for the Jackets at this point. I guess if CBJ lose Karlsson to Vegas and Gagner to free agency, we'll need more center depth and Nuti could possibly be put in a deal there. But, I don't see him going anywhere next year.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think he's waiver exempt and has a lot of upside, so the Jackets shouldn't be in any hurry to move him.

If the Sabres want to make it worth our while to move him this summer it wouldn't be a price you'd like. I doubt a second rounder would cut it.

Don't think he's worth a second rounder, I know for a fact he's not worth anything more. He's a bottom pair dman that looks overwhelmed a lot.

Sure he can improve, but he was what a 6/7th rounder? Let's not act like he is a guy with yuge upside.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Only 4 defensemen in his draft year have more NHL games under their belt. He has a long way to get his potential, trade Murray over him in a heartbeat.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
They would get more for Murray. Although each year, they will get less and less as Murray's play shows he will never be a top pairing guy, and less likely he will be a top 4 guy on a good team

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Don't think he's worth a second rounder, I know for a fact he's not worth anything more. He's a bottom pair dman that looks overwhelmed a lot.

Sure he can improve, but he was what a 6/7th rounder? Let's not act like he is a guy with yuge upside.

He was a 7th round pick in 2015. Nobody else drafted in that round is yet to log an NHL game. He now has 60.

In fact, nobody in the 6th round of that draft has logged an NHL game.
Looking further, one 5th round pick from that draft has seen suited up. Dominik Simon (Pitt) logged 3 games last year, and hasn't dressed this year.

I just wanted to share the above facts.

It just amazes me that Jarmo and his scout team found this guy. Yes, I know he was ready to sign a FA tryout with Chicago and was an over-ager his draft year. But less than half the 7th round picks ever see the NHL ice. He did it one year after he was drafted. And...if this was the 03/04 CBJ when everybody drafted was rushed to the club it would be one thing. But this guy beat out Prout and Harrington to earn his spot. I have no idea how good he can be, and you could well be right about his upside. But...what if you are wrong? He could yield a pick and a prospect to some defensive-starved team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He was a 7th round pick in 2015. Nobody else drafted in that round is yet to log an NHL game. He now has 60.

In fact, nobody in the 6th round of that draft has logged an NHL game.
Looking further, one 5th round pick from that draft has seen suited up. Dominik Simon (Pitt) logged 3 games last year, and hasn't dressed this year.

I just wanted to share the above facts.

It just amazes me that Jarmo and his scout team found this guy. Yes, I know he was ready to sign a FA tryout with Chicago and was an over-ager his draft year. But less than half the 7th round picks ever see the NHL ice. He did it one year after he was drafted. And...if this was the 03/04 CBJ when everybody drafted was rushed to the club it would be one thing. But this guy beat out Prout and Harrington to earn his spot. I have no idea how good he can be, and you could well be right about his upside. But...what if you are wrong? He could yield a pick and a prospect to some defensive-starved team.

Was it actually Chicago? I know there was some comment at the time about his possibly being signed as an FA by someone else and we wanted to secure his rights, but I never heard if there was anything more to it beyond that, let alone that it was Chicago and they were close.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Was it actually Chicago? I know there was some comment at the time about his possibly being signed as an FA by someone else and we wanted to secure his rights, but I never heard if there was anything more to it beyond that, let alone that it was Chicago and they were close.

Hey Viqsi....I went and looked for the documentation and couldn't find it. But I am pretty sure I remember the story that went like; ".......I was waiting for the draft to end and had been in contact with Chicago. I had already accepted an invitation to their prospect camp. All my gear was packed and I was ready to go." "When I got drafted by Columbus, they called and told me when camp was. All I had to do was change the information on my luggage tags".

My thought was it came from a Portzline article, but I couldn't find it.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Hey Viqsi....I went and looked for the documentation and couldn't find it. But I am pretty sure I remember the story that went like; ".......I was waiting for the draft to end and had been in contact with Chicago. I had already accepted an invitation to their prospect camp. All my gear was packed and I was ready to go." "When I got drafted by Columbus, they called and told me when camp was. All I had to do was change the information on my luggage tags".

My thought was it came from a Portzline article, but I couldn't find it.
I did some digging for ya. Found it!

General manager Jarmo Kekalainen considers Nutivaara a "classic late bloomer," a defenseman who went undrafted in 2014 but was taken by the Blue Jackets in the seventh round (No. 189 overall) the following year.

Nutivaara had agreed to participate in the 2015 Chicago Blackhawks' development camp if he went undrafted again.

"I flew to New York (from Finland) that day thinking I was (going to Chicago)," he said. "After I got off the plane, I got a bunch of messages that I was (drafted)."

http://www.dispatch.com/bluejacketsxtra/content/stories/2016/10/04/nutivaaras-rising-prospect.html

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, that would explain my confusion. "About to sign" and "about to attend prospect camp" are two different beasts in my head, and I never made the connection.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

He is presently overmatched, but that's not unusual for an undersized rookie D. I think he has middle pair + PP QB upside (meaning it's a reasonable possibility, perhaps not an expectation).

I remember when Jared Spurgeon came in and what everyone kept saying about him. And now he's top 30D in the league, in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad