Markus Nutivaara

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
This whole situation reminds me of the crappy game seth jones had against chi last year. Torts benched him and then put him back in the game. The kid is a rookie let the coach figure it out. In fact i think its shawsys call. Some on mains have suggested cbj dont need an offensive guy playing third pair. If we want to move the puck fast he should stay. In fact that was torts main criticiism of the turnover. We had guys ready to go north south and nuti went east west. That to itself may tell u where torts thinking is

major major

Feb 18, 2013
]
This whole situation reminds me of the crappy game seth jones had against chi last year. Torts benched him and then put him back in the game. The kid is a rookie let the coach figure it out. In fact i think its shawsys call. Some on mains have suggested cbj dont need an offensive guy playing third pair. If we want to move the puck fast he should stay. In fact that was torts main criticiism of the turnover. We had guys ready to go north south and nuti went east west. That to itself may tell u where torts thinking is

Losing the battle on the 4th goal sticks out to me more than bobbling it on the 3rd goal. I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Markus needs to watch a couple games and reflect on his game, then jump back in and hopefully showed renewed focus and confidence. He has great potential and can be a big part of this season and seasons to come.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Did anybody notice how good Murray played when not tasked with covering for him? Maybe we can send him down for some time to get big minutes and really develop and adjust to NA ice. He has been playing with the best D in the league and I think that has covered up some of his major flaws and he is still a young kid who needs to develop nothing wrong with that. I also suggested in another thread maybe adding him to a 1st and Jenner would be enough from COL to get Duchene. They want young D and he fits plus Jenner as a replacement 2C and a 1st... that's a good package.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Did anybody notice how good Murray played when not tasked with covering for him?

Yea, I think so.....all of the local media are talking about it.

Maybe we can send him down for some time to get big minutes and really develop and adjust to NA ice. He has been playing with the best D in the league and I think that has covered up some of his major flaws and he is still a young kid who needs to develop nothing wrong with that.

Not to pick at nits - but if he had major flaws, he would not have made the team. But to your point - I think the CBJ need to decide in the next 30 days if they need a depth D-man for the post season. Injuries and rotating scratches will provide that opportunity. I think he needs to be here to accomplish that. If the CBJ FO did this, it wouldn't be the biggest mistake they ever made.

I also suggested in another thread maybe adding him to a 1st and Jenner would be enough from COL to get Duchene. They want young D and he fits plus Jenner as a replacement 2C and a 1st... that's a good package.

I would vote no. Jarmo has resisted the urge to trade top prospects. I would hope he just let's this alone. Among other things; this would cost us Josh Anderson to Vegas. So the trade would be Josh Anderson, Boone Jenner, Nuttivaara and a 1st for Matt Duschene.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Real Talk:

Conspicuous "body" injury? Or a professional/media excuse for him to be an unofficial healthy scratch?

Surely you cannot scratch a player by tarnishing his reputation with injury claims even in a league as absurd as the NHL? It has been a heavy schedule, especially if you do not have a professional history of being pumped full of medicine, what I think is the difference so some wear and tear is expected.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There's a lot of distaste for Nutivaara for some reason. Murray has been playing well for weeks, with him and without, just because he had a good game doesn't mean Nuti is the reason why. Nuti has been solid this year, and sure he's had some mess ups but he's a rookie.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yea, I think so.....all of the local media are talking about it.

Not to pick at nits - but if he had major flaws, he would not have made the team. But to your point - I think the CBJ need to decide in the next 30 days if they need a depth D-man for the post season. Injuries and rotating scratches will provide that opportunity. I think he needs to be here to accomplish that. If the CBJ FO did this, it wouldn't be the biggest mistake they ever made.

I would vote no. Jarmo has resisted the urge to trade top prospects. I would hope he just let's this alone. Among other things; this would cost us Josh Anderson to Vegas. So the trade would be Josh Anderson, Boone Jenner, Nuttivaara and a 1st for Matt Duschene.

Responses to each of these paragraphs:

Murray has been playing great lately, not just last game, though it was his best. I haven't heard anyone else connect it with Nuti being away - I think that's a stretch. I will say that Harrington, though a rookie in some respects, is a real student of the defensive side of the game. There's got to be something reassuring about playing next to that, and it allows Murray to come forward more.

I think Nuti is a creative type of player. I think a little bit of AHL time would be great for him to experiment. We still want to evaluate him for the playoffs, but a month in the minors while we test out Prout and Harrington wouldn't hurt.

As for the trade idea, a late 1st + Jenner + Nuti for Duchene is an easy yes for me and an easy no for Colorado. Does Nuti have top pair upside? I can almost see Jared Spurgeon in him, but I really doubt it's enough for the Avs. They need at least one solid "build around" piece coming back and those are all complementary. One quibble: it's good to work in the expansion implications but you're missing something. What we lose with an additional player to protect is not Josh Anderson but the gap in value between Anderson and the next player Las Vegas would have picked. So it would be, say, Duchene + Karlsson for Anderson + Nuti + Jenner + first. Does that make sense?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think Nuti is a creative type of player. I think a little bit of AHL time would be great for him to experiment. We still want to evaluate him for the playoffs, but a month in the minors while we test out Prout and Harrington wouldn't hurt.

I don't know that Nuti has earned what some might consider a "demotion," but if you're going to give Harrington and Prout looks at that #6 spot in preparation for the deadline and/or playoffs, then I'd prefer Nuti be playing in Cleveland than sitting in Columbus.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Responses to each of these paragraphs:

Murray has been playing great lately, not just last game, though it was his best. I haven't heard anyone else connect it with Nuti being away - I think that's a stretch. I will say that Harrington, though a rookie in some respects, is a real student of the defensive side of the game. There's got to be something reassuring about playing next to that, and it allows Murray to come forward more.

As for the trade idea, a late 1st + Jenner + Nuti for Duchene is an easy yes for me and an easy no for Colorado. Does Nuti have top pair upside? I can almost see Jared Spurgeon in him, but I really doubt it's enough for the Avs. They need at least one solid "build around" piece coming back and those are all complementary. One quibble: it's good to work in the expansion implications but you're missing something. What we lose with an additional player to protect is not Josh Anderson but the gap in value between Anderson and the next player Las Vegas would have picked. So it would be, say, Duchene + Karlsson for Anderson + Nuti + Jenner + first. Does that make sense?

Oh good Lord! How much more testing is there left to do with Prout? The less I see of him on the ice the better.

I think the CBJ went into the season thinking that this would be another building year, so why not play the young guys. Nuti was good enough to fall into that category. I am not saying that they did not want, or expect, to be playing for a play-off spot, but I don't think even they were expecting this success. In that regard, maybe picking up another solid D vet before the deadline makes sense. Then again, why not let the chips fall where they may by playing the guys that have gotten you here so far.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I like a bit of rotating the tires at the 6-8 spots on D. You never know when we might lose a couple top pairing guys to injury, and its good to keep your depth guys engaged and occasionally on the ice.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Savard & Nuti both out Harrington & Prout in. From what I have seen so far this will not be pretty.

Savard is a rock, and Nuti is a very skilled rookie.. I am hoping to be wrong on my assessment of Harry and Prout

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan wondering about this kid and his value to your team. We need defense bad and wondering what it would take to acquire, could be a solid bottom pair addition that could eventually earn more minutes?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sabres fan wondering about this kid and his value to your team. We need defense bad and wondering what it would take to acquire, could be a solid bottom pair addition that could eventually earn more minutes?
He's kind of useful in that same fashion for us as well, and we don't have any other immediate needs that would be addressable by trading him (we're not getting another top-6 center back for him, for example :) ), so while trading him isn't impossible by any stretch of the imagination, nothing sensible really comes to mind at the moment.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
With how Harrington and Q have played, I think Nuti should stay seated.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I think he's waiver exempt and has a lot of upside, so the Jackets shouldn't be in any hurry to move him.

If the Sabres want to make it worth our while to move him this summer it wouldn't be a price you'd like. I doubt a second rounder would cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad