Markus Nutivaara

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I just did a search of the form and can't find where Markus has gotten a thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

At the end of the most recent summer, it was the consensus of our forum that Markus was the #14 prospect in our development system . He was listed as out 4th best D prospect behind Werenski, Gabe Carlsson, and Dean Kukan.

We were all surprised when he made the team out of camp. I don't think I was alone when watching him to wonder what his skill set was, what role he would have and how he fit. There were comments about Murray babysitting him on the 3rd pairing.

Now, I'm beginning to see solid plays. In the past 2-3 weeks it looks like he has begun to get settled in on this team. I also question if the November 28th trade of Cody Goloubef was because the FO saw Nutivaara emerging. If so, why would they acquire D Ryan Stanton in return? Maybe it was an AHL deal only knowing that Prout and Harrington would remain behind Nutivaara on the depth chart.

Regardless, what are you seeing? What do the CBJ have in this 2015 7th round pick?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He might follow the David Savard path where majority of people claim he's too this or that and will result in nothing more than a bottom pairing dman until he isnt. He makes good smart plays and doesnt try anything he doesnt feel comfortable with. He is slowly getting better in the offensive zone as well, I think he can be pretty decent player if he is not already.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Was a tad shaky to start the year, but calmed down to a point where he's been a solid #6 for a couple months now. Definitely has taken another step as far as comfort is concerned in the past couple weeks.

I'd say he has #4 upside.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
I thought he played his best game of the year last night vs. the Oilers. Looked very decisive and made some tremendous offensive plays both with his passing and carrying of the puck. He seems to me to be more of the "offensive defenseman" type, as I don't notice him as much in our own zone anymore (I guess that's a good thing).

Our D-corps is light years ahead of where it was even last year, and I think Nuti plays an important role in that.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Occasionally The Ghost Who Walks takes his leave from the jungle...and walks in the city...as anyone of us.

1135231648582.gif

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's been solid. He struggled mightily at the start of the year but the past month or two he has been steady and confident. The Murray is babysitting him comment is far from the truth.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just as the Jackets have the best 4th line, they have the best bottom pair in the league so far. I don't worry when Markus is out there. I have a pretty good idea that he's not going to Prout the puck right to the other team in the slot.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Many of you know I was very critical of Nutivarra at the beginning of the season, since then he has improved dramatically imo. His spacing is a lot better now, people can no longer get the edge around him. He is young an adjusting so I expect him to improve even more.

I agree with the other poster who said the oilers game was his best game. He used his skating, which is underrated imo, and created rushes and scoring chances. I loved the toe drag type move he did in the slot before missing a shot wide.

I hope like Wennberg he will begin to carry the luck more and use his skating as he is very good at both. I think eventually he could PPQB and be a poor mans Krug but the likelihood of that happening is slim considering the dmen we have before him

I do think that Murray still helps him a lot. I think Murray could probably play well with any D in the league.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's very early in his career so there's really no telling how he will progress.

Right now, he reminds me of Kris Russell (who, by the way, lead the Oilers in TOI against us last night). Nutivaara is a bit taller (6'0" vs 5'10") but is still a bit undersized as far as defensemen go. He doesn't utilize his shot much but is there for his skating and passing.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I like Nutivaara a lot. Like some others have said it's nice to have a D corps full of guys we actually trust on the ice.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think he's continually gotten better and if you watched the game against the Oilers, he had some nice moves in the offensive zone. I don't think he'll ever be much of a shooter but he's gonna be a nice puck mover in the NHL throughout his career here.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
This is his first season on North American ice. Quite impressive.

Suddenly have good depth on the blueline.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
What I have seen is his ability to skate the puck out of trouble in his zone. Earlier this season he would force the puck up the boards resulting in the other team picking it up more than not. It does happen occasionally to any Dman, but less and less with experience.

He has had benefited from watching mostly Werenski do this and Jones too to a lesser degree.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Nutivaara was 100% offensive minded defenceman in Europe.

It's interesting to see how he'll do if he's given more room to show that side of his game in the future.

Not that I'm complaining, him playing regularly in the NHL in his first season is a major positive surprise.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He shouldnt be considered much less of an offensive catalyst so far in North America. 6 ES points in half a year on the third pair? That's actually decent.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
and he just had another dinger from his slap shot which looks great by the way. Some guys need to be encouraged to shoot, certainly he and Wennberg both fall in that category. Look what happens when they get more aggressive

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
He's been getting better and better with each passing day. My only gripe with him is his foot speed, he seems to fall a step behind on odd-man rushes

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He is still making to many bad turnovers in our own zone leading to high quality shots for the other team. He's doing some stuff well some times but it's not where I'd like him to be right now because our success I'd be hesitant to change our makeup and bring in Kukan or something to pair with Murray but I'd still rather Carlsson and Gavrikov long term on the big squad.

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He is still making to many bad turnovers in our own zone leading to high quality shots for the other team. He's doing some stuff well some times but it's not where I'd like him to be right now because our success I'd be hesitant to change our makeup and bring in Kukan or something to pair with Murray but I'd still rather Carlsson and Gavrikov long term on the ignorant squad.

Have you actually watched Kukan in the AHL or are you just basing it off last year's callup? The dude is a turnover machine. Carlsson and Gavrikov are unproven unknowns, this isnt fantasty call up land where one just calls people that they think are ready. These players need to outplay the guys in the AHL. They are our direct line of reinforcements, no team is going to sign a rookie from Sweden or Russia to come in and play third pairing defense on the first place team in the league. Perhaps next June if they beat out Nutivaara in camp but as of right now, no freaking chance. As for your evaluation of Nutivaara, you seem to be the outlier.

abs94

Oct 14, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Is he the worst D Man in our top 6? Certainly. Ive only been watching hockey for a few years and this is the first time Ive watched CBJ and not been praying that the third pair D Men dont give up a goal. So thats my standard :laugh:

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
Friends who are fans of other teams keep asking me how this team is good all of a sudden. I tell them they don't really have any liabilities, which allows them to play everybody in almost equal 5on5 minutes. You look at other teams and they're using their top 3 lines, top 2 pairings and by the 15 minute mark in the third period they're more spent.

Nutivaara is the best 6th Dman we've had. He's playing so well Prout and Harrington can't get on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad