Confirmed with Link: Markus Granlund to VAN for Hunter Shinkaruk

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Speculating here, but...

With all the rumours that the Flames were taking inquiries on (or shopping) Backlund, perhaps that was Plan A, and when all the Backlund deals couldn't materialize, trading Granlund was Plan B?

Eh... I dunno. Granlund likely won't be a player of Backlund's caliber in my mind anyways. I feel like Granlund being moved was entirely on him being exposed to waivers next year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's just a smart cap and player management move for the Flames. You add a guy you don't have to expose to waivers next year... For arguably your rivals best or second best prospect lol.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hopefully he becomes a Mike Calamari calibre player.

Or a Jeff Squidder type.

Still dont get this trade?

Especially for Nucks. Is it really that they just needed a bottom 6 to jump into lineup and lost faith in Shinkaruk?

Canucks - Don't see enough NHL likelyhood in Shinkaruk, think Granlund's attention to detail means he will be a contributor for their team for a long time. Granny is only 22 himself.

Flames - Don't see top 6 ceiling in Granlund, willing to let Shinkaruk grow for two years to see if they can turn him into a top 6 forward. ELC status means we don't need to worry about waivers for now, unlike Granlund.

Canucks went for the "safe" prospect, Flames went for the boom-or-bust prospect.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Speculating here, but...

With all the rumours that the Flames were taking inquiries on (or shopping) Backlund, perhaps that was Plan A, and when all the Backlund deals couldn't materialize, trading Granlund was Plan B?

Doesn't really make sense. There really haven't been any rumors the Flames are shopping Backlund. You've got one reporter with questionable ties to the Canadiens suggesting they have interest but doesn't equate to the Flames looking to move Backlund.

Besides, if Backlund and Granlund were competing for the same position, than the former won it in a landslide. Granlund, aside from some excellent penalty killing, didn't really do all that much in his call up this year.

Versteeg is a far better passer than Shinkaruk will ever be.

I was thinking more of a goal scoring version. But again, that's the best case scenario. Lack of size and strength are going to limit him from ever being a bona fide top sixer.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Utica Comets fan here and thought I would take a look at what Calgary fans think about the Shinkaruk trade. Here are my thoughts....

First Shinkky was absolutely loved in Utica and will be sorely missed. The kid was a joy to watch and his enthusiasm for playing the game was infectious.

Hunter had a disappointing rookie season in Utica last year but he was coming off major hip surgery in his final year of junior and it obviously affected his quickness and strength. This year he started out very quickly and had two hat tricks early in the season. Hunter's biggest attribute is his scoring ability and led the Comets with 21 goals this season with 10 of them on the power play.

The biggest question mark is whether or not this AHL scoring will translate to the NHL and I can't tell you one way or another if it will. The AHL has a number of guys that put up big numbers but never make it in the NHL. I do think he needs another year in the AHL to complete his game and add strength before he is NHL ready.

Hunter's biggest weakness is he is knocked off the puck too easily and because of this he does not project to be a bottom 6 player in the NHL so it will probably be top 6 or nothing. Can his AHL scoring translate to NHL scoring will be the question. I don't think that it will be a slam dunk and Hunter will need to be stronger and quicker to find that same success in the NHL.

One thing that he does have going for him is he is driven to be the best player that he can be. So if there is an undersized winger determined to succeed it is Hunter Shinkaruk. I wish him the best and hope he goes on to be a great player for the Flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Utica Comets fan here and thought I would take a look at what Calgary fans think about the Shinkaruk trade. Here are my thoughts....

First Shinkky was absolutely loved in Utica and will be sorely missed. The kid was a joy to watch and his enthusiasm for playing the game was infectious.

Hunter had a disappointing rookie season in Utica last year but he was coming off major hip surgery in his final year of junior and it obviously affected his quickness and strength. This year he started out very quickly and had two hat tricks early in the season. Hunter's biggest attribute is his scoring ability and led the Comets with 21 goals this season with 10 of them on the power play.

The biggest question mark is whether or not this AHL scoring will translate to the NHL and I can't tell you one way or another if it will. The AHL has a number of guys that put up big numbers but never make it in the NHL. I do think he needs another year in the AHL to complete his game and add strength before he is NHL ready.

Hunter's biggest weakness is he is knocked off the puck too easily and because of this he does not project to be a bottom 6 player in the NHL so it will probably be top 6 or nothing. Can his AHL scoring translate to NHL scoring will be the question. I don't think that it will be a slam dunk and Hunter will need to be stronger and quicker to find that same success in the NHL.

One thing that he does have going for him is he is driven to be the best player that he can be. So if there is an undersized winger determined to succeed it is Hunter Shinkaruk. I wish him the best and hope he goes on to be a great player for the Flames.

Thanks for this! Question for you since you seem to have watched him a lot, how is his skating? Speed, Agility and Edgework wise.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Thanks for the scouting report!

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Thanks for this! Question for you since you seem to have watched him a lot, how is his skating? Speed, Agility and Edgework wise.

Improved over last season when he was coming off an injury but he still needs to improve in that area to get to the next level. Last year he tried to do to much on his own and constantly tried to beat the D by going wide and 95% of the time he would be driven off the puck. This year he has learned to use his teammates more but when he tries to go wide around the D he still doesn't have the speed and quickness to beat his guy and get to the net. At this point in his career he is more of a finisher than a creator and in juniors he could do both.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

interesting lil video.

I simply don't understand how you can say that you don't think your top scorer on the farm team, who is only 21 ****ing years old, will translate into the NHL.

That's just giving up on a prospect right there. It is a blessing Benning wasn't hired to be GM here.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I simply don't understand how you can say that you don't think your top scorer on the farm team, who is only 21 ****ing years old, will translate into the NHL.

That's just giving up on a prospect right there. It is a blessing Benning wasn't hired to be GM here.

Well, there's a lot of holes in his game. If he doesn't have top 6, NHL talent, then he's a bust. This is a guy that's currently producing at the same level as Granlund and we've all seen how that can translate. Just keep that in mind.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, if Shinkaruk had been drafted by the Flames, odds are he'd be getting the Baertschi treatment right about now.

And for what it's worth, Granlund's 22, had stellar AHL numbers as well but Treliving also stated he doesn't see him as a top-six player moving forward. The difference is, Granlund at least showed he can be a depth NHL'er while Shinkaruk isn't close to being strong enough to be a regular NHL'er.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Well, there's a lot of holes in his game. If he doesn't have top 6, NHL talent, then he's a bust. This is a guy that's currently producing at the same level as Granlund and we've all seen how that can translate. Just keep that in mind.

From what I've been reading, his weaknesses seem to be that he gets knocked off pucks easily and his defensive capabilities aren't there yet. Those are two things that can be developed and taught. What can't be taught or easily developed are things like offensive creativity, competitiveness, and speed.

From what I've seen in the past, the types of good AHL-scorers that translate into the NHL as scorers are generally the ones that have great skating abilities. Just off the top of my head, players like Tatar, Nyquist, Palmieri and Ennis come to mind.

Shinkaruk is clearly a better skater than Granlund. I have doubts that it works out for Granlund in Vancouver because it's rare that he improves his skating in a short period of time. I don't know if it's his lack of stamina, but often times he was behind the play and didn't look like he had the energy to compete for all of those little puck battles. He's just not a fast skater for someone of his size and it cost him many times because he's really easy to defend against.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

The goal itself was a bad angle, but not a bad goal. The replay shows it a bit better, but you can kind of see some of his footwork here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Makes sense with Feaster & Weisbrod passing on Shinkaruk at the draft.

That's too much, remember what Weisbrod said about Jankowski? Janko should be enough for Horvat+ :laugh:

Do you ever wonder why Shinkaruk was rated 6th by Central Scouting and he fell to 24th? hmmm

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Do you ever wonder why Shinkaruk was rated 6th by Central Scouting and he fell to 24th? hmmm

Nope, players fall all the time for various reasons. I also never thought he would go as high as he was projected. Apparently he didn't interview well with teams and isn't very well liked among his peers. These are rumors of course but my brother met him thru a friend and said he was kind of an *******. But he was also like 13 at the time so I don't read too much into it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I figured it was his resemblance to Jake Busey that put teams off.

latest

Sounds legit so it probably is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad