Confirmed with Link: Markus Granlund to VAN for Hunter Shinkaruk

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

latest

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Watched his 2014-15 highlights and it looks like he is quite adept at handling the puck on the right side so he could play opposite our Big 3. Throw Laine in there and we are one short of a future top 6.:yo:

Yini

Jan 8, 2016
Great trade for the Flames. They get a young RW, in which they need, in exchange for a player that wouldn't be seeing much time in the top 6 in the future. These are Markus Granlund stats this season: 8 points in 32 games, 43.96 CF%, -8 HSC diff, -33 SC diff, -88 Corsi diff, -74 Fenwick diff, 43% Faceoff %, PDO: 102. Not exactly stunning, and Hunter Shinkaruk has more potential and is tearing it up in the AHL right now. I don't know why Jim Benning made this trade at all.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
From the only game with Stockton

Shinkaruk directed 6 or 7 shots at the net, although a couple were blocked/just missed. One of the shots just missed the far top corner from the near the goal line. Had one play were he cycled around the offensive zone to evade the defender and fired a tip able shot on net that Poirier did hit and it nearly went through Khudobin. Had a shot in the shootout that was stopped by the blocker.

Defensively, he did play the point on the power play and seemed responsible for the most part. He also slid back to play D a couple of times when the defender pinched. He did make one mistake on his first shift of the game where he was going to flee the defensive zone and the defender jumped up to grab the puck and it created a scoring chance.

Overall he was one of the more dangerous offensive players tonight, although he didn't hit the score sheet. He still has a way to go in order to get his overall game better, but he wasn't bad by any stretch. Pretty much in the same conversation as Poirier. Shinkaruk has the better shot and is more creative but their overall games are close enough to call them about even.

As for the rest of the team, Hunter Smith had his best professional game. Nearly scored a few times and was noticeable all night. Agostino and Hamilton were good as usual and are NHL ready. Hathaway had a good game also. Same with Poirier. Poulin saved the game. I think he faced 50 shots or close to it.

Good effort overall.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know why Jim Benning made this trade at all.

Because they have no faith in Shinkaruk and they believe they are lack of depth and need to fill their roster with players like Granlund

The Flames on the other hand, are full of Granlund and need skills.

The trade makes sense on both sides.

The Flames can potentially win big (similar to Canucks with Baertschi last year but it's probably no longer the case with him).
The Canucks got something for nothing (in their view)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So after taking a look at Shinkaruk play last night, what are some player comparables that come to mind?

And man... he really has a great Chestershire cat smile. :)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I really enjoyed the interview with him and then the one with his parents. It's always super refreshing to see players who are genuinely super excited to play for your team.

Really liked what I saw last night.

The guy we picked over him, not as much.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, the interviewer egging him on and saying he tried selling that he scored the goal and Shinkaruk having to explain himself about how he just knew he got his first point and was just super excited he got the point was pretty funny. :laugh:

I loved his energy, speed and physicality. In some senses, he makes me think he could be our Paul Byron replacement energy wise, but I think that's an awful player comparable.

That Domi hit though... oof... I saw the hit and was like, "YAH!" then saw the slow mo and was like, "YIKES!"

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Great game for Shinkaruk last night. I really liked what I saw from him. He's going to provide a lot of good skill and entertainment with the way he plays!

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
You can see the skill there without doubt, I'm still cautiously optomistic about his potential but liked what I saw last night.

As far as Klimchuck, since draft day I saw him as a 3rd line shutdown type, he doesn't have the skill to be top 6 and don't think he is capable of 4th line grinder. It is 3rd line or bust imo. But who knows things can change and he may yet surprise me.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Really nice tip in last night its like hes done a million of those before and knows how to do it like a pro. Calgary robbed the Canucks and Shincky is one of my favourite prospects and now players and cant believe hes in enemy camp. Good job Flames and I wish Shincky all the best but really hope he goes easy on us for the next 10-15 years :cry:

PS Granlund now gets timely penalties for us helping out the tank IN ADDITION to his lack of shots face off wins grit etc. Hes one of are tank commanders now

Good trade :cry:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Really nice tip in last night its like hes done a million of those before and knows how to do it like a pro. Calgary robbed the Canucks and Shincky is one of my favourite prospects and now players and cant believe hes in enemy camp. Good job Flames and I wish Shincky all the best but really hope he goes easy on us for the next 10-15 years :cry:

PS Granlund now gets timely penalties for us helping out the tank IN ADDITION to his lack of shots face off wins grit etc. Hes one of are tank commanders now

Good trade :cry:

Haha at least you get to see him play a few times a year. That's what I took as a positive from the Baertschi trade.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Count me impressed with shinkaruk. I like his skating style, looks like a bonafide project for top 6 duty

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
Canucks fan here. This Shinkaruk trade made no sense for the Canucks. He had the most scoring upside of almost any of our prospects. Just a stupid move by an inexperienced GM. This pissed off a lot of Canuck fans.

I hope he becomes a top six forward for you guys. He may need some time to blossom but the guy is a natural goal scorer. Granlund wont even make our team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad