Marko Dano

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
In the games I've seen Dano, he has not stood out in any phase of the game. The only thing I observed, and wanted to see something given the hype when Hawks got him, was some nice hands receiving passes. That's about it.....thus far.

Fair observation. So do you think his game seems vanilla so far?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
His passing and vision are fine and not a concern to me to be honest. We focus on the bad here, duh!:D

Good point. So to be clear, Dano has the highest per-game assist rate of any player in Rockford this year.

Also, Dano had a 54.13 CF% last year in his 35 games with Columbus while getting a heavy defensive zone start rate.

He had a 54.62 CF% in his 13 games with the Hawks this year with a heavy offensive zone start rate.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I mean there's no doubt regression to the mean and stuff is a thing, but there's a reason that the elite scorers are consistently (and in some cases like Stamkos always) significantly about the league average in shooting percentage.

Well sure. League average is around 9%, most of the elite shooters in the league land around 11-12% over their careers.

But like everybody else, they have hot streaks a cold streaks. Were it that they could control shooting percentage, they would simply 'choose' to shoot at their career peak percentage at all times. But they cant. Just ask Stamkos how he felt during the Finals last year.

Furthermore, the elite scorers in the league are pretty much all bunched at the top of leaderboards in number of shots and shots per game. Their ability/speed/vision to create chances and put the puck on net at a consistently high rate is a larger part of their success than their slightly elevated shooting percentage.

Dano may never be a truly elite scorer. But if he's good enough to consistency generate chances and shot output, then he should wind up closer to 9% than 3% eventually. Worry when the shots per game dry up.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Well sure. League average is around 9%, most of the elite shooters in the league land around 11-12% over their careers.

But like everybody else, they have hot streaks a cold streaks. Were it that they could control shooting percentage, they would simply 'choose' to shoot at their career peak percentage at all times. But they cant. Just ask Stamkos how he felt during the Finals last year.

Furthermore, the elite scorers in the league are pretty much all bunched at the top of leaderboards in number of shots and shots per game. Their ability/speed/vision to create chances and put the puck on net at a consistently high rate is a larger part of their success than their slightly elevated shooting percentage.

Dano may never be a truly elite scorer. But if he's good enough to consistency generate chances and shot output, then he should wind up closer to 9% than 3% eventually. Worry when the shots per game dry up.

There success is attributable to capitalizing on good to great opportunities.

In other words, the snipes far outweigh the flukes.

Getting chances is important of course but only really relevant to players who have demonstrated finishing abilities.

Some guys see goalies while other guys see net.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty much, right now I just see a guy.

Would you identify him as a 1st rounder based on games you've seen him play if the draft were now?

Total package yes 100% a first round pick BUT I also watched the games from Columbus. From this year alone I think we see flashes and his game is first round material BUT he needs more consistency. Is he playing it safe and focusing on D? I think so but maybe they are having him learn the system and then expand offensively from there (that is how I coached and was coached). When you do both it is like learning to run and dribble at full speed from the start, you need to learn to run and dribble separately at the start. I am a building block coach/teacher and was coached that way so my view is skewed.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Total package yes 100% a first round pick BUT I also watched the games from Columbus. From this year alone I think we see flashes and his game is first round material BUT he needs more consistency. Is he playing it safe and focusing on D? I think so but maybe they are having him learn the system and then expand offensively from there (that is how I coached and was coached). When you do both it is like learning to run and dribble at full speed from the start, you need to learn to run and dribble separately at the start. I am a building block coach/teacher and was coached that way so my view is skewed.

I don't quite know what he's working on but I don't know a system that prevents you from cashing in on glorious opportunities.

Not sure if language skills are an issue but an elite player should pick up a system pretty quickly IMO. I know you were in net but how long were players coming up given to catch on? Not very long IME.

We'll see how it pans out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't quite know what he's working on but I don't know a system that prevents you from cashing in on glorious opportunities.

Not sure if language skills are an issue but an elite player should pick up a system pretty quickly IMO. I know you were in net but how long were players coming up given to catch on? Not very long IME.

We'll see how it pans out.

This has nothing to do with the system. If he was shooting at his normal % he would close to a ppg player.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
This has nothing to do with the system. If he was shooting at his normal % he would close to a ppg player.

I don't think there is enough data to develop a norm just yet.

..and IF he was shooting at his normal % he would close to a ppg player.

Well, a lot of suppositions in there to be not dominating.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think there is enough data to develop a norm just yet.

..and IF he was shooting at his normal % he would close to a ppg player.

Well, a lot of suppositions in there to be not dominating.

There is one supposition but it is a big one. Not a huge amount of data but there is a season's worth games? How much data is sufficient? This is the issue.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I think he is mostly working on his defensive game. That is the only explanation that I have for this.
Like I have pointed out before, he isn't shy about throwing his body around. But, I am not sure how much he will be doing that in CHI.
He seems to have the puck a lot too, but finishing has not come yet. I wouldn't be too concerned as he has never been BAD when I have watched him. He just hasn't been great

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Dano and TT are not comparable in my book because TT 100% different player that plays the game using his talent (like Dano) but also playing a extremely cerebral game that few players can play. Just different style games all together.

His shooting % is a concern but the fact that he gets pucks on net is a huge positive. Shooting is a skill that you can improve greatly as you age I think we can assume his shot is going to get better as he ages and that it is something he is working on. This is all under the assumption that he is working his ass off in Rockford. Dano like other late first round prospect will take longer to develop unlike a top 5 pick (this is obvious I know but all 1st round picks are not the same).

I look at this way if he shoots 13% his goal total would go from 2 to 8 which is a big jump and would put him at close to a ppg player in the AHL. I know I am talking about an "if" but I think it is a realistic if considering his talent.

Do I wish he was farther along? 100% yes but I think he has made solid strides so far and it is easy to forget he is just 21.

Another point about comparing Dano and TT is that while they were both mid-round first round picks, the Blackhawks getting TT at 18 was considered by almost everyone to be a steal and a big surprise to have fallen so far in the draft. It should be expected for Dano to take more time to develop into the type of player that the organization want. TT was drafted by the Hawks because A. he was still available and B. they could that his game would work within the Blackhawks. Dano was drafted by another organization that plays a different system and will need time to adjust and learn. About half a season is not enough time to make any type of decision on his long term possibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad