Marko Dano

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I'm not sure why there is a debate going on. Saad wanted paid, we couldn't afford it, so we trade him for some very good pieces. Everyone is happy...except this board, which is always.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
having a guy like AA around finally helps us with C depth. We finally have that 2nd Top6 C behind Toews.

Anisimov is doing all the Little things right on this line and he helps them in a big way. He is a contributor and still needed on this line.

I'd take Saad back, but we won that trade

Actually I would say this is one of those rare trades that is a win-win for both sides

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Actually I would say this is one of those rare trades that is a win-win for both sides

Yup, Columbus is happy with Saad and the knowledgeable Hawks fans are pretty thrilled with AA. If Dano develops into a top 6 player, thats gravy.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What do you make of Dano's shooting percentage in Rockford? 2 goals on 59 shots, good for a 3.4 SH%. That's the lowest of any forward currently on the team not named Baun and Liambas [neither have scored].

McNeill was sitting at 16.1 before the call up.

http://www.icehogs.com/team/stats/

I think as long as he's generating shots and chances, then it's completely fine. Shooting percentage varies wildly. All a player can control is his output towards the net.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I think as long as he's generating shots and chances, then it's completely fine. Shooting percentage varies wildly. All a player can control is his output towards the net.

Ridiculous.

...and from what I've seen, some games and highlights, the kid is not a finisher.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What do you make of Dano's shooting percentage in Rockford? 2 goals on 59 shots, good for a 3.4 SH%. That's the lowest of any forward currently on the team not named Baun and Liambas [neither have scored].

McNeill was sitting at 16.1 before the call up.

http://www.icehogs.com/team/stats/

Ridiculous.

...and from what I've seen, some games and highlights, the kid is not a finisher.

Those numbers by Dano, when you consider that he couldn't finish in Chicago either don't bode well. Combine that with his lack of quickness and, though he is still a kid, there's a possibility that he is not NHL material. Time will tell, but he needs to start bulging the twine in RFD.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I mean there's no doubt regression to the mean and stuff is a thing, but there's a reason that the elite scorers are consistently (and in some cases like Stamkos always) significantly about the league average in shooting percentage.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think its funny to see the worried posts and side eyes "im not sure about this guy" sentiment on this board about Dano. It's solely because he was traded and you havent watched him coming up. Because he wasn't a hawk from the beginning.

23 pts in 48 nhl games
Teravainen 31 pts in 85 games

SAME AGE. Did Teuvo light up the AHL? No. when he was there everyone said "oh he's too good for the league" "way better than his teammates".

Find a Columbus fan and ask them about Dano. They know more about him than you do.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think its funny to see the worried posts and side eyes "im not sure about this guy" sentiment on this board about Dano. It's solely because he was traded and you havent watched him coming up. Because he wasn't a hawk from the beginning.

23 pts in 48 nhl games
Teravainen 31 pts in 85 games

SAME AGE. Did Teuvo light up the AHL? No. when he was there everyone said "oh he's too good for the league" "way better than his teammates".

Not a good comparison..... It's more than just going by the numbers. TT was an obvious talent from day 1, Dano has not proven to be anywhere close to that ... but as I said, time is on his side.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Not a good comparison..... It's more than just going by the numbers. TT was an obvious talent from day 1, Dano has not proven to be anywhere close to that ... but as I said, time is on his side.

Explain how Dano hasn't proven to be a talent? Was it the 14 pts in 8 games as a U-20 playing for Slovakia? The 21 pts in 35 games for the Jackets as a 20 year old?

Or going back to his age 19 year did you dislike his 9 pts in 6 games in the U20?

Didn't like him getting picked in the first round?

Dano has been a better pro player than Teravainen thus far in their careers BUT Q is doing the right thing with Dano by giving him a rough ride to this team. Doesn't diminish the talent we are talking about.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Explain how Dano hasn't proven to be a talent? Was it the 14 pts in 8 games as a U-20 playing for Slovakia? The 21 pts in 35 games for the Jackets as a 20 year old?

Or going back to his age 19 year did you dislike his 9 pts in 6 games in the U20?

Didn't like him getting picked in the first round?

Dano has been a better pro player than Teravainen thus far in their careers BUT Q is doing the right thing with Dano by giving him a rough ride to this team. Doesn't diminish the talent we are talking about.

I hope you are right. I admit the sample size I am referring to is a short one and I didn't watch him when he played in CBJ. My eye test tells me that he has a way to go yet and the fact that he is having trouble scoring with this organization isn't helping my assessment (the assessment that he needs to work on his skating, particularly his explosiveness, to crack the Hawks' line-up).

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I hope you are right. I admit the sample size I am referring to is a short one and I didn't watch him when he played in CBJ. My eye test tells me that he has a way to go yet and the fact that he is having trouble scoring with this organization isn't helping my assessment (the assessment that he needs to work on his skating, particularly his explosiveness, to crack the Hawks' line-up).

That's always been his knock and I was called crazy for saying that was his knock in the first bit of the Dano trade thread. Other than his footspeed he is supremely talented. Now all of a sudden everyone is dogging him and it's the opposite for me. He's great but he is who he is. He is a Ducks/Van/LA/Bos style 50-60 point player not a Hawks 50-60 point player right now and that's ok. He just has to learn. He should be in RFD until he's ready to go down that type of NHL production path. 35-45-60 in the next three years is easy for me to envision.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dano and TT are not comparable in my book because TT 100% different player that plays the game using his talent (like Dano) but also playing a extremely cerebral game that few players can play. Just different style games all together.

His shooting % is a concern but the fact that he gets pucks on net is a huge positive. Shooting is a skill that you can improve greatly as you age I think we can assume his shot is going to get better as he ages and that it is something he is working on. This is all under the assumption that he is working his ass off in Rockford. Dano like other late first round prospect will take longer to develop unlike a top 5 pick (this is obvious I know but all 1st round picks are not the same).

I look at this way if he shoots 13% his goal total would go from 2 to 8 which is a big jump and would put him at close to a ppg player in the AHL. I know I am talking about an "if" but I think it is a realistic if considering his talent.

Do I wish he was farther along? 100% yes but I think he has made solid strides so far and it is easy to forget he is just 21.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The fact that noone is talking about his passing/vision this season particularly is more alarming. His shooting % right now is garbage, but he is still developing in other areas.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The fact that noone is talking about his passing/vision this season particularly is more alarming. His shooting % right now is garbage, but he is still developing in other areas.

His passing and vision are fine and not a concern to me to be honest. We focus on the bad here, duh!:D

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
In the games I've seen Dano, he has not stood out in any phase of the game. The only thing I observed, and wanted to see something given the hype when Hawks got him, was some nice hands receiving passes. That's about it.....thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad