Mark Messier

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I had a thread about Gretzky earlier, and now i have to ask about Messier.

Just like Gretzky, Messier was a stud for the Oilers.

But what type of impact did Messier had with you guys?

Is Messier considered to be one of the best Rangers ever?

Would Messier be a force in todays NHL (if in prime)?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Messier was a great player for us...but i never actually liked him...its ok, plenty of players on that 94 team that i loved...Graves, Leetch, Richter, Kovalev, Zubov...

just never really cared for Messier...I think his status as basically a god-like figure in rangerdom is well...imho...undeserved...but when you win 1 cup in a generation...and hes the captain...thats what happens.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Opinions will vary depending on how much importance you place on his post-1997 years. A tale of two Messiers, really.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Notwithstanding, he was an icon and I have him up there with Boucher, Cook, and Bathgate as the greatest Rangers forwards.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Mess?
Consider him a combination of Ovi's skills (except not quite the shooting), Toews' will and all-round game, Shea Weber's physical presence, and Datsyuk's ability to come up big at big moments

Yes, at his peak, Mess would absolutely be force in any era.
He was one of the first top superstars in a long time whose game included physicality and intimidation.

And he was great Ranger; even though he came late, and left for 3 years, see how he ranks in career totals.
Also, just the feel of the team, from that first game in Montreal in October'91, was more confident and competitive.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Mark Messier came to NYC and promised us a stanley cup and he delivered. No other Ranger in my lifetime achieved that.

I was born in 81 so I didn't get to see the old greats play and I doubt many here did.

I rank Messier as the 3rd greatest player of MY era.

1. Leetch
2. Richter
3. Messier
4. Lundqvist
5. Jagr

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
He was a warhorse. And a HUGE bully. Probably the most famous superstar bully in the history of hockey. He was masked by his offensive numbers but he was every bit the intimidator and a sometimes dirty player. I remember someone stiffed him once and he went right after his head on the boards. He was something. And I hear he was the same in the locker room but also people respected him. He didn't do anything that was not necessary to win. I was born in 1981 too and he was the first Ranger that stood out to me the first time I saw a Ranger game at around 10 years old. I don't know why I used to call him mess-I-ER. His early years he was a dominant Ranger and the reason they won the cup. He really led that team. But outside of that when he returned he was finished, had lost a step or two. But those Ranger teams were awful anyway so hard to pin it on him. I remember we didn't play defense whatsoever in the early 2000's. Or couldn't.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

The impact was immediate. Changed the complexion of not only the team but the franchise much in the way a 1st Overall pick has the ability to.

One of the best Rangers ever without a doubt.

His skill set would be a force in any Era. Had tons of talent. Great skater. Smart player.

A rare and true 5 tool player.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The Stars first season in Dallas. They took it to the Rangers. Messier took it out on Modano.

JD was away doing the Olympics. Red light Sal Messina was with Sammy Rosen. I thought I was watching the WWF when they dropped Modano's stretcher.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Messier won the Hart Trophy as a Ranger in 1991-92. The greatest single season ever. He was so good. He was still very good in 93-94. He was great in 91-92. Mark had a huge role in getting Leetch to reach his potential.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Messier would be a force in todays game for sure.

Except he would pile up multiple suspensions quickly.

Mark would have never been Given the chance to develop in today's NHL the fact that the physicality of the games been completely taken away and he was a borderline dirty player and his first years he never would've been as successful in today's game

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Mark would have never been Given the chance to develop in today's NHL the fact that the physicality of the games been completely taken away and he was a borderline dirty player and his first years he never would've been as successful in today's game

Good point.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
What I love about Messier is he wanted to come to NY, he wanted to win in NY. He accepted all the responsibility and he let the other guys do their thing. And not only that, he performed at a world class lever.

Brian Leetch is the greatest home grown Ranger I ever saw, but who knows what he would have been if 11 didn't come here. A good player, sure. But a champion? Hall of Famer?

I've met and read a lot of Ranger fans who are like, "F Messier." I never understand that. Because of what happened the 2nd time around? Hell I remember games towards the end of his career where he'd be out there playing with one arm.

Messier is in the top 5 of all time players in the history of the NHL, maybe top 3. How many Rangers have we seen win a Hart Trophy, as a Ranger.

He's the best Ranger, ever.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007

Obviously, trying to determine how players would do in today's game is purely speculative but, in my opinion, Mess would be a top player in today's game. In addition to having a "decent" set of hockey skills, any coach would love to have his leadership on the team. Mess would've adapted to the softer play and toned down his act. The man is a winner and winners thrive in any era.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

Great players adapt. People always say how players like Messier, Stevens, etc would struggle in today's game because they played too dirty. Please. They had buckets of talent and would have adapted. Look at OV. He plays a great physical game, and aside from a few incidents, keeps it clean.

KreiderHouseRules*

Messier was a great player for us...but i never actually liked him...its ok, plenty of players on that 94 team that i loved...Graves, Leetch, Richter, Kovalev, Zubov...

just never really cared for Messier...I think his status as basically a god-like figure in rangerdom is well...imho...undeserved...but when you win 1 cup in a generation...and hes the captain...thats what happens.

This is very misinformed.

Every single member of that 94 team would disagree with you.

It's not like he scored a natural hat-trick in an elimination game after guaranteeing they'd win and force game 7 or anything. Without that NYR don't even make the SCF let alone win The Stanley Cup.

He was at the end of his prime but he was still an impact player and was an even better leader. Look at the way Leetch and Graves and Richter talk about him. You think they're making it up?

Messier is one of the greatest Rangers of all-time, and just so happens to be second all-time in scoring behind only The Great One

You "never cared for him?" Were you even alive in the 90's? I question whether you even watched his entire tenure with NYR.

Did you actually watch the way the team changed when he got to NY? His impact on Leetch reaching his potential, Presidents Trophies, Stanley Cup, Hart Trophy, almost another SCF appearance in 97 but ran into some injuries against a brutally tough Flyers team with Lindros, Leclair, Desjardins, etc in the ECF (btw Lindros blatantly hooked / waterski'd Messier to get that empty net goal).

I don't understand how a NYR fan could be so ungrateful. Who else came here and delivered a Stanley Cup? Who else was as much of a leader that all players looked to and followed? "Not caring for him" makes you sound like you never even watched him, except for maybe his last year playing with Josef Balej.

Last edited by a moderator:

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

It's not like he scored a natural hat-trick in an elimination game after guaranteeing they'd win and force game 7 or anything. Without that NYR don't even make the SCF let alone win The Stanley Cup.

He was at the end of his prime but he was still an impact player and was an even better leader. Look at the way Leetch and Graves and Richter talk about him. You think they're making it up?

Messier is one of the greatest Rangers of all-time, and just so happens to be second all-time in scoring behind only The Great One

You "never cared for him?" Were you even alive in the 90's? I question whether you even watched his entire tenure with NYR.

Did you actually watch the way the team changed when he got to NY? His impact on Leetch reaching his potential, Presidents Trophies, Stanley Cup, Hart Trophy, almost another SCF appearance in 97 but ran into some injuries against a brutally tough Flyers team with Lindros, Leclair, Desjardins, etc in the ECF (btw Lindros blatantly hooked / waterski'd Messier to get that empty net goal).

I don't understand how a NYR fan could be so ungrateful. Who else came here and delivered a Stanley Cup? Who else was as much of a leader that all players looked to and followed? "Not caring for him" makes you sound like you never even watched him, except for maybe his last year playing with Josef Balej.

Can't disagree at all. Messier changed the way the Rangers were perceived. Smith said when he was acquired that people would look at the Rangers differently. He was right. The 80s, outside of a shocking run in '86, were nothing but mediocre hockey. That changed when he showed up.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

yet another reason why ive stopped posting on this board like i used to.

you state an opinion...a personal opinion...and theres always somebody who jumps down your throat.

Yes. I was alive in the 90s. Yes, he scored a hat trick in that elimination game..but no, i still dont care for him. he was a dirty player, he regularly elbowed guys blindsided. Intimidating? sure...par for the course at that time in the NHL? sure. But that doesnt mean i have to like the guy. ive never been attracted to the cheap shot player...thats not who i am.

and he comes off as a god for those playoffs, but i just dont see it. to me, the god of those playoffs was Brian Leetch..he was, to me, the best player in the entire playoffs outside of maybe Pavel Bure, by a MILE. Messier had an amazing game 6..no doubts whatsoever..

Messier is a great player. Was a great Ranger. Deserves to have his banner hanging in the garden. Deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Deserves to be listed as one of the 3 or 4 greatest players in the history of the game.

He doesnt automatically get to be loved by every single Ranger fan. Some of us just don't really care for the guy all that much.

Thats just me.

To me, my favorite Ranger of all time is Brian Leetch AINEC...well, Henrik is making it close....

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
yet another reason why ive stopped posting on this board like i used to.

you state an opinion...a personal opinion...and theres always somebody who jumps down your throat.

Yes. I was alive in the 90s. Yes, he scored a hat trick in that elimination game..but no, i still dont care for him. he was a dirty player, he regularly elbowed guys blindsided. Intimidating? sure...par for the course at that time in the NHL? sure. But that doesnt mean i have to like the guy. ive never been attracted to the cheap shot player...thats not who i am.

and he comes off as a god for those playoffs, but i just dont see it. to me, the god of those playoffs was Brian Leetch..he was, to me, the best player in the entire playoffs outside of maybe Pavel Bure, by a MILE. Messier had an amazing game 6..no doubts whatsoever..

Messier is a great player. Was a great Ranger. Deserves to have his banner hanging in the garden. Deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Deserves to be listed as one of the 3 or 4 greatest players in the history of the game.

He doesnt automatically get to be loved by every single Ranger fan. Some of us just don't really care for the guy all that much.

Thats just me.

To me, my favorite Ranger of all time is Brian Leetch AINEC...well, Henrik is making it close....

Leetch (my ATF as well) won Conn Smythe that playoffs, so obviously he was the best player of those playoffs. He was probably the best or 2nd best player in the 1996 World Cup. As Larry Brooks wrote, "watching Leetch in the World Cup was like seeing Sinatra sing at Carnegie Hall."

Messier comes off as "god like" because guys like Graves, Richter, Leetch, even guys like Kevin Lowe (and many others, to many to name), put him at that level. They'd follow him into any fox hole. The players put him there and the fans just responded to that.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Read Losing the Edge and I don't think you can put a value on what Messier did behind the scenes during that sea on and during the Cup run with all of the Keenan shenanigans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad