Mark Fraser signs with sens

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Totally different players. Johnson had 40 and 35 points the last 2 years. It's like comparing pitlick to redden 15 years ago...but in the AHL.
I was looking at it from another veteran presence in the room, not similar in play.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
You're not understanding. Fraser is a 10pts a year goon in the AHL.

Carkner is to Ottawa like Fraser is to Binghamton. Should be scratched most of the time, but can do spot duty for toughness.

In the past before injuries hit Carkner, I'd agree. At this point Carkner/Fraser are basically the same player no matter the level of play, which is why I found the comparison odd.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In the past, yes. At this point Carkner/Fraser are basically the same player no matter the level of play.

I can agree with that. I don't think either are capable of being good top 4 AHL dmen at this point. Their role in the AHL wouldn't be much different than their role at the NHL level was.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
How the heck can some blame BM for a signing who will likely play most games in the AHL. He won't be taking any time from a deserving D prospects. It's Richardson who decides who dresses and who plays and how much they play. Richardson needs options and he has them. If any D has experience and is a great puck mover he's either someone's prospect, in the NHL or can get a better deal in Europe or the KHL than accepting a cheap 2 way deal. To get someone better the Sens would have to offer a 1 way deal plus pay bigger bucks. They let Gryba go to make room for a prospect. The only way they will spend more money on the D is if they trade away a current roster D.

I like the signing. If Boro gets hurt they have some backup muscle with a bit of NHL experience for the 3rd pairing or 7th D if needed. Even if he comes up just to sit in the stands it's a win. You hurt a prospect sitting him out but not an older insurance policy. This is a depth signing. What's not to like!

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Hmm, you're right. I was looking at their wikis, and they might be out of date.

Lashoff is in camp right now with the Red Wings (also: he is brutal), Eminger was just sent to Providence by the Bruins.

As for Bell and Syvret, I have no idea. I imagine Bell will go back to Europe? And Syvret was released by his AHL team midway through the season, so I have no idea if he'll retire or what.

That Eminger link is from last year too. ;)

Also pretty sure that it's Brian Lashoff in camp with Detroit and not Matt. He played games in Detroit last year and may still be under contract but I'm not sure.

Either way it doesn't matter though. Ottawa made their move - it was Fraser - and no amount of talking will change it. I just hope he doesn't find his way up to Ottawa at any point. I suppose he won't make Bingo any worse, right?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I like the signing if he doesn't see NHL ice-time this year. He'll be absolutely fine in the AHL as a #3-#6 guy. He's played the better part of the last three years in the NHL, he's not nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. I think he's behind Claesson and Kostka as far as call-ups are concerned, so we probably won't see him with the big team.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I like the signing if he doesn't see NHL ice-time this year. He'll be absolutely fine in the AHL as a #3-#6 guy. He's played the better part of the last three years in the NHL, he's not nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. I think he's behind Claesson and Kostka as far as call-ups are concerned, so we probably won't see him with the big team.

Ummm...
http://https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/648540288315584512

He actually is. Even watching him, it's clear he's bad. But, he's big, hits, and is local, so Murray won't care. The saving grace here is that he's bound for the AHL.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well I remember when we got Andy Sutton all Thrasher fans did was tell us how awful he was, and I thought he did pretty good in an Ottawa uniform.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Well I remember when we got Andy Sutton all Thrasher fans did was tell us how awful he was, and I thought he did pretty good in an Ottawa uniform.

Do you mean Isles fans? Because when the Sens acquired Sutton in 2010, he was on the Islanders and had been since the start if the 2007-08 season. Was on the Thrashers from part way through 2001-02 to 2006-07.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Do you mean Isles fans? Because when the Sens acquired Sutton in 2010, he was on the Islanders and had been since the start if the 2007-08 season. Was on the Thrashers from part way through 2001-02 to 2006-07.

I'm pretty sure it was still Thrasher fans saying it, not Isles fans. Apparently he must have been horrible there because Thrasher fans really really disliked him so much I still remember it.

But I mean, I don't even know if Fraser will ever see Ottawa ice anyway.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
How the heck can some blame BM for a signing who will likely play most games in the AHL. He won't be taking any time from a deserving D prospects. It's Richardson who decides who dresses and who plays and how much they play. Richardson needs options and he has them. If any D has experience and is a great puck mover he's either someone's prospect, in the NHL or can get a better deal in Europe or the KHL than accepting a cheap 2 way deal. To get someone better the Sens would have to offer a 1 way deal plus pay bigger bucks. They let Gryba go to make room for a prospect. The only way they will spend more money on the D is if they trade away a current roster D.

I like the signing. If Boro gets hurt they have some backup muscle with a bit of NHL experience for the 3rd pairing or 7th D if needed. Even if he comes up just to sit in the stands it's a win. You hurt a prospect sitting him out but not an older insurance policy. This is a depth signing. What's not to like!
Yes, I think that's why they got him. Insurance for Boro.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I'm pretty sure it was still Thrasher fans saying it, not Isles fans. Apparently he must have been horrible there because Thrasher fans really really disliked him so much I still remember it.

But I mean, I don't even know if Fraser will ever see Ottawa ice anyway.

I'd take it with a grain of salt. The Thrashers made the playoffs a grand total of once, and their defence was really bad. When a defence-corps' biggest names during Sutton's time there are the likes of Greg de Vries, Jaroslav Modry, Frantisek Kaberle, Daniel Tjarnqvist, Garnett Exelby, and Niclas Havelid, it's not pretty. That Thrashers team basically relied on a few top end forwards for the wins they did manage.

But yes, we should all be thankful Fraser is bound for Bingo.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Yes, I think that's why they got him. Insurance for Boro.

Exactly what I was going to chime in with... he's a guy who is willing to come to Ottawa on a two-way deal, knows his place (mostly in the AHL, maybe a handful of games in Ottawa if injuries hit), and has a little bit of NHL experience which can go a long way if someone needs to be thrown in on D in a pinch. Plus there's the home town angle which gets everybody in the Ottawa org jazzed.

No risk, fills a hole, helps out in the AHL for Harpur, Freddy C, etc...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ummm...
http://https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/648540288315584512

He actually is. Even watching him, it's clear he's bad. But, he's big, hits, and is local, so Murray won't care. The saving grace here is that he's bound for the AHL.

To be fair, his advanced stats are dragged down somewhat by having played the majority of his time in that sample for the leafs under Carlyle.

His team relative numbers were pretty average prior to going back to NJD this past season (he seemed to struggle more in his second stint there than Toronto or Edm for some reason).

He's AHL bound, we can all be thankful for that, but he probably looks a lot worse than he is fancy stat wise. He was pretty bad in NJ last season, but his first couple seasons there back in 09-12 were not to bad for a young defensive defender.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Well, Frazer has size and toughness. Maybe Richardson can help him learn the D position so that he can become a better full time NHL player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Solid signing.

In the last three seasons he's played a total of 121 NHL games and only 18 AHL games. Not saying he was a particularly good NHL D man during that time, but he's being signed to be a full-time guy with Binghamton, and in that role he should succeed.

Agreed. I mean the guy has a positive +/- with the Leafs or Devils... Not saying this is a very telling stat but these were very bad hockey teams and it's hard to keep a positive +/- ratio in that case...

Since it's for the AHL, there's no worries there.

All those guys are currently signed elsewhere...we'd have to give up an asset just to get one of them.

And there is skill on that roster for puck-moving anyways. Kostka and Clausson can both move the puck fine.

Besides, we don't want the defense to be too good. O'Connor needs the work.

I have a feeling O'connor will have a monster season and is going to be the Sens N.1 within 2-3 years...

Hmm, you're right. I was looking at their wikis, and they might be out of date.

Lashoff is in camp right now with the Red Wings (also: he is brutal), Eminger was just sent to Providence by the Bruins.

As for Bell and Syvret, I have no idea. I imagine Bell will go back to Europe? And Syvret was released by his AHL team midway through the season, so I have no idea if he'll retire or what.

Anyway, Fraser is probably better than any of them (at least defensively)... He was exposed on bad NHL teams, but at the AHL level he should be good.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You're not understanding. Fraser is a 10pts a year goon in the AHL.

Carkner is to Ottawa like Fraser is to Binghamton. Should be scratched most of the time, but can do spot duty for toughness.

Then why has he played mostly in the NHL and not the AHL im sorry your evaluation makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad