Mark Fraser signs with sens

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Why do we need so many face punchers? Stortini, Sdao, Lepine, and Ewanyk are all essentially just fighters. Dziurzynski fights, McCormick fights, Guptill fights. Bingo had more than enough muscle before Fraser.

Would have preferred a more skilled depth player in this situation.

I don't mind it given that we don't really have many real NHL upside prospects in Bingo on D.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Such as....?

Matt Lashoff? Danny Syvret? Steve Eminger? Maybe even Brendan Bell? Just somebody that is more able to fill the same role that Wikstrand was slated for.

Who knows, maybe Wikstrand comes back and it won't matter, but it seems like the Bingo defense (and our depth by extension) is missing a skilled element.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
I don't mind it given that we don't really have many real NHL upside prospects in Bingo on D.

You're right about that - it's not like he's taking ice from a legit prospect so it's probably not worth caring about, but it just feels a little unnecessary given how the Bingo roster is constructed.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're right about that - it's not like he's taking ice from a legit prospect so it's probably not worth caring about, but it just feels a little unnecessary given how the Bingo roster is constructed.
There may be a cut or two down there,he is filler thats all

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Awesome. Probably the worst player in the NHL.

Worst defenseman in the NHL is still an above average AHL D man.

Love how stacked the Binghamton blueline is looking after this signing:

Claesson/Wikstrand - Kostka
Fraser - Mullen
Harpur - Sdao

Gonna make O'Connor's transition to pro hockey a heck of a lot easier.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Matt Lashoff? Danny Syvret? Steve Eminger? Maybe even Brendan Bell? Just somebody that is more able to fill the same role that Wikstrand was slated for.

Who knows, maybe Wikstrand comes back and it won't matter, but it seems like the Bingo defense (and our depth by extension) is missing a skilled element.

All those guys are currently signed elsewhere...we'd have to give up an asset just to get one of them.

And there is skill on that roster for puck-moving anyways. Kostka and Clausson can both move the puck fine.

Besides, we don't want the defense to be too good. O'Connor needs the work.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Fraser - Mullen
Harpur - Sdao

Eesh. Not sure I would call that stacked. I don't know the story about the AHL, but there isn't much in terms of puck movement and speed. Maybe that's ok for the AHL though.

Actually that D reminds me of the Sens D the last couple years. Big and slow, can't handle the puck except for a guy or two.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Fraser - Mullen
Harpur - Sdao

Fraser in the top 4 is stacked? Would you think Ottawa was stacked if carkner was in our top 4? Cuz you have a 10 pts a year goon in your top 4. That's awful.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Fraser - Mullen
Harpur - Rutkowski/Sdao

I think Rutkowski slides into that 3rd pairing RD spot since Sdao is a left shot. Rutkowski does bring an element of offensive ability & is probably a little more skilled than Sdao, offensively at least. This yr's Bingo team will have less scoring from the back end but hopefully more scoring from their forwards to make up for it. I wouldn't count out a guy like Harpur either, he was able to put up pts in junior & led last yr's rookie tournament in scoring. Hopefully, he can add some offence to his game in Bingo too as well as be a big presence on defence.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Portland, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Providence, and Chicago, respectively.

I think you're looking at where they played in 14/15. I can't find any evidence that any of them re-signed with those clubs.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Fraser in the top 4 is stacked? Would you think Ottawa was stacked if carkner was in our top 4? Cuz you have a 10 pts a year goon in your top 4. That's awful.

Again, like in the main thread, your comparisons make ZERO sense. The OP never claimed that Fraser was a top 4 NHL defensemen (I disagree with the OP that Binghamton is stacked, it looks average), what Fraser is at the AHL level is up for debate. IMO Fraser is likely an adequate depth player with NHL experience at the minor level, and there's nothing wrong with that.

FYI, Carkner was a stud for Binghamton. Some Ottawa fans on here were asking if he was the next Chris Pronger after his first season in Ottawa, which was absurd. Point is Carkner was solid at the start of his NHL career until injuries hit, let's not overlook that. Fraser had a similar performance just two and a half years ago during the lockout year. No need for hating vets like Carkner/Fraser, what they bring is fine for the minor league level at this point.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think you're looking at where they played in 14/15. I can't find any evidence that any of them re-signed with those clubs.

Hmm, you're right. I was looking at their wikis, and they might be out of date.

Lashoff is in camp right now with the Red Wings (also: he is brutal), Eminger was just sent to Providence by the Bruins.

As for Bell and Syvret, I have no idea. I imagine Bell will go back to Europe? And Syvret was released by his AHL team midway through the season, so I have no idea if he'll retire or what.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Again, like in the main thread, your comparisons make ZERO sense. The OP never claimed that Fraser was a top 4 NHL defensemen (I disagree with the OP that Binghamton is stacked, it looks average), what Fraser is at the AHL level is up for debate. IMO Fraser is likely an adequate depth player with NHL experience at the minor level, and there's nothing wrong with that.

FYI, Carkner was a stud for Binghamton. Some Ottawa fans on here were asking if he was the next Chris Pronger after his first season in Ottawa, which was absurd. Point is Carkner was solid at the start of his NHL career until injuries hit, let's not overlook that. Fraser had a similar performance just two and a half years ago during the lockout year. No need for hating vets like Carkner/Fraser, what they bring is fine for the minor league level at this point.
:yo: No different than Aaron Johnson IMO who played there last season & some Bingo fans actually liked him a lot. Fraser I think will be a similar kind of player to calm things down when needed & resolve issues quickly, should be a big help to Richardson.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Hmm, you're right. I was looking at their wikis, and they might be out of date.

Lashoff is in camp right now with the Red Wings (also: he is brutal), Eminger was just sent to Providence by the Bruins.

As for Bell and Syvret, I have no idea. I imagine Bell will go back to Europe? And Syvret was released by his AHL team midway through the season, so I have no idea if he'll retire or what.

It'd be nice to have those higher skilled guys on Binghamton, but they also make more than Fraser does at the AHL level. Those fringe players go to Europe for the money if they don't get it here. Besides, we have Kostka as our higher earning AHLer for this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

You're not understanding. Fraser is a 10pts a year goon in the AHL.

Carkner is to Ottawa like Fraser is to Binghamton. Should be scratched most of the time, but can do spot duty for toughness.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
:yo: No different than Aaron Johnson IMO who played there last season & some Bingo fans actually liked him a lot. Fraser I think will be a similar kind of player to calm things down when needed & resolve issues quickly, should be a big help to Richardson.

Totally different players. Johnson had 40 and 35 points the last 2 years. It's like comparing pitlick to redden 15 years ago...but in the AHL.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The bolded are the only defencemen I really care about in Binghamton.

As long as they're getting ice time, I'm ok with pretty much anyone filling the other 4 spots, as long as the organization thinks they'll help develop the kids that matter. Fraser, Lepine, Kostka, whatever.

The only one that I think has a chance is Harpur, and that is a very small chance of ever making the NHL on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad