Injury Report: Mark Fraser (knee) - ON LTIR, Oct 25 earliest return date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
no he isnt eligible until next week and probably wont be back right away

Thanks.

I would think there will be (if all healthy) a rotation to the Press Box between Fraser, Reilly and Gardiner.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
So much unnecessary hate for Ranger.

Watching a Leafs game with out being on hfb and watching a Leafs game being on the GDT make a huge difference, you stop finding self fulfilling prophecies.

Ranger has been a good 3rd pairing D.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

Watching a Leafs game with out being on hfb and watching a Leafs game being on the GDT make a huge difference, you stop finding self fulfilling prophecies.

Ain't that the truth, most GDT's are unbearable.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I don't understand why anyone would do that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hope you guys realize that Randy's playing all 6 of our dmen this year many more minutes than he ever gave Fraser last year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Based on performance it should be Ranger..

However Carlyle likes Fraser with Franson and Phaneuf with Gunnarsson which leaves Rielly, Gardiner and Ranger as the trio of which 2 of them will play.

I don't know that Carlyle has any issue with Rangers performance. He seems like he's starting to find his way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hope you guys realize that Randy's playing all 6 of our dmen this year many more minutes than he ever gave Fraser last year.

He played Mike Kostka (22:05 TOI/g in 35 games = 2nd most on the team) way more than Fraser last year also and more then some of Leafs dmen this year. He also used JM Liles more and now he is in the AHL and not playing ahead of Fraser also.

Fraser is a 3rd pairing Dman that he uses in defensive situations and loves his hitting, shot blocking and physical play.

Asif16*

I wanted him in the pressbox too but hey If he plays 15solid minutes on the 3rd pairing I'm fine with that. I just don't want him upgraded to top4 D

And he wont. So you can stop worrying about that. What he brings as our 6th Dman is very valuable

Asif16*

He played Mike Kostka (22:05 TOI/g in 35 games = 2nd most on the team) way more than Fraser last year also and more then some of Leafs dmen this year.

Fraser is a 3rd pairing Dman that he uses in defensive situations and loves his hitting, shot blocking and physical play.

Just dont respond to ZEKE. Dude has been bashing on fraser all the time and hates him for some reason. Dude was really happy when fraser got injured. Theres no point in arguing with the guy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fraser being injured improved our team. Don't think Randy didn't notice.

Asif16*

Fraser being injured improved our team. Don't think Randy didn't notice.

Lol yeah then you clearly have no idea what type of a coach Carlyle is. Come back to me next week when Fraser starts playing regular min and becomes a fix in the lineup.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just dont respond to ZEKE. Dude has been bashing on fraser all the time and hates him for some reason. Dude was really happy when fraser got injured. Theres no point in arguing with the guy

Zeke's an offense first guy, and Carlyle is a defense first coach and believes that "defense wins championships".

Carlyle is not Ron Wilson and so pond hockey is no longer the strategy. Carlyle deploys his players situationally to best utilize their strengths. Carlyle likes to dictate the play physically, and he doesn't get that from any other dman but Phaneuf, thus he likes having Fraser in the mix.

Fraser also compliments Franson well, and Cody plays bigger and more physical when his wing-man is Fraser.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Carlyle is already playing the defense you claimed he never would play this offseason, mess.

In fact, you told me I was crazy for thinking that Rielly would even make the team, let alone play at the same time as Gardiner.

You were also shocked that when Fraser was injured, a physical defensive dman like Holzer, MacWilliam or Granberg wasn't called up.

Time to start facing reality, my friend.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carlyle is already playing the defense you claimed he never would play this offseason, mess.

In fact, you told me I was crazy for thinking that Rielly would even make the team, let alone play at the same time as Gardiner.

You were also shocked that when Fraser was injured, a physical defensive dman like Holzer, MacWilliam or Granberg wasn't called up.

You must have me confused with someone else as the only reason Fraser isn't playing is because he was injured.

When he returns I expect Carlyle to re-insert him into the line-up and remove someone else in his place. I believe that because a good team needs a mix of players that bring different skill sets to the table and not only offense alone. Hitting, shot blocking, crease clearing and physical play are things that Carlyle places value in and as such things Fraser provides.

Fraser is a Carlyle style player, if he wasn't the Leafs wouldn't have wanted him back this year.. There is a reason he is playing and players like Holzer, Kostka and Liles from last season are not.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'll be disappointed if Rielly is out in favour of Fraser. Fraser should be the 7th D, if he isn't, Ranger should sit out for him.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario

in all fairness, Fraser is likely only out of the lineup because hes injured. His injury is the only reason Rielly got in the line-up as soon as he did.

We need him back there. Our D is soft as butter, outside of Dion

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Fraser is a Carlyle style player, if he wasn't the Leafs wouldn't have wanted him back this year.. There is a reason he is playing and players like Holzer, Kostka and Liles from last season are not.

Holzer is also that "style" of player. He's just not good enough to make the team.

Fraser is also that "style" of player, but not good enough to crack this top-6.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
in all fairness, Fraser is likely only out of the lineup because hes injured. His injury is the only reason Rielly got in the line-up as soon as he did.

We need him back there. Our D is soft as butter, outside of Dion

Dion, Franson, and Ranger have been as physical a trio as any three dmen in hockey.

Gunnar is also one of the game's elite shotblocking dmen.

This defense is anything but soft.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Dion, Franson, and Ranger have been as physical a trio as any three dmen in hockey.

Gunnar is also one of the game's elite shotblocking dmen.

This defense is anything but soft.

How is that measured?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Defenseman Hits

3.D.Phaneuf 32
6.C.Franson 30
14.P.Ranger 26

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Holzer is also that "style" of player. He's just not good enough to make the team.

Fraser is also that "style" of player, but not good enough to crack this top-6.

Did you miss the first couple of games of the season, because apparently you didn't notice that Fraser began the season in the Leafs top 6?.

The reason he was removed and replaced was due to injury and not coach's decision.

So perhaps you should take this up with the Leafs coach if you feel otherwise. ;)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How is that measured?

by blocked shots, of course.

Blocked Shots per game, 2013-14 (Min 5gms):

1.A.McDonald 3.33
2.N.Grossman 3.00
3.R.Polak 2.86
4.C.Gunnarsson 2.80
5.J.Gorges 2.80

Gunnarsson has averaged 2.11 blocks per game over this season and last season. Anything over 2 per game makes you one of the better shotblockers around.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Did you miss the first couple of games of the season, because apparently you didn't notice that Fraser began the season in the Leafs top 6?.

The reason he was removed and replaced was due to injury and not coach's decision.

So perhaps you should take this up with the Leafs coach if you feel otherwise. ;)

it was only a matter of time before Rielly went in. we all know that.

and Rielly's not coming out for Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad