Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
We say no, all day long. Turcotte is an oft injured non entity in the AHL, nvm NHL. Rossi is younger, lost a year due to Covid, and has done really well in the AHL.
Agreed. Going with the mystery box logic, Rossi has the more interesting package since he's ACTUALLY done well in the AHL.

Question would be different with Turcotte had similarly bad AHL years but had like 20points in the NHL. One could at least argue he has lower ceiling but has proven to be a bottom sixer etc etc. But he doesn't have that working for him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Turcotte has had issues with injuries, so yes there is that concern but when he has played and adjusted he has been a major difference maker.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Turcotte has had issues with injuries, so yes there is that concern but when he has played and adjusted he has been a major difference maker.
Come again? When? Turcotte has never been a difference maker in the AHL. He had a good, but not outstanding season in College 4 years ago. On the contrary, his numbers have gone down every year in the AHL, while concerns about his health have gone up.

There is no guarantee that Rossi becomes an effective NHL player, but if the choice is between betting on him or Turcotte to make it, Rossi is the obvious choice, for me.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Come again? When? Turcotte has never been a difference maker in the AHL. He had a good, but not outstanding season in College 4 years ago. On the contrary, his numbers have gone down every year in the AHL, while concerns about his health have gone up.

There is no guarantee that Rossi becomes an effective NHL player, but if the choice is between betting on him or Turcotte to make it, Rossi is the obvious choice, for me.

First off, there were multiple concussions (one in the playoffs, one during the regular season). The injuries are a concern, but the talent is still there.

Secondly, I've read the analytics are there. Can't find where I read that, I think on Reddit, but the analytics are there when he's healthy.

Third, Turcotte may not be an elite or even top line center, but can project in the middle 6. Rossi is questionable if he's not in the top 6.

Fourth, most think Turcotte left too early from Wisconsin, but as we saw with Stramel and Granato, it was a rock and a hard spot and the Kings may have thought they could have a better hand's on approach with Turcotte. He also ended the season in Wisconsin with 9 points in 8 games.

Fifth, the injuries are a big concern and that's the only hesitation I have with Turcotte. But if Rossi is sent back to the AHL, I think we can look at him as the next big bust in line with Shep and Pouls.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Makes zero sense to swap Rossi for an older player who is less productive and has more injury concerns.
But can project as a middle 6 guy and could possible contribute like Freddie Gaudreau.

Honestly would you want a Gaudreau or a Petan?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We already have a Gaudreau for 5 more years anyway, do we need another?
I mean we could always use depth. We signed Sam Steel last year, and they are expecting Khaira to make the team. Plus Dewar, Duhaime, Shaw (if he recovers), and Maroon could all be gone.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I mean we could always use depth. We signed Sam Steel last year, and they are expecting Khaira to make the team. Plus Dewar, Duhaime, Shaw (if he recovers), and Maroon could all be gone.
I still wouldn't trade a potential top 6 center for a potential middle 6 center, unless that potential was very close to being recognized. In Turcotte's case, it's not.

Reactions: ctmagic

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
But can project as a middle 6 guy and could possible contribute like Freddie Gaudreau.

Honestly would you want a Gaudreau or a Petan?
IMO thats a bit unfair projection bc it assumes the best case scenario for Turcotte vs the worst case scenario for Rossi. I think a more interesting thought experience in this scenario - Gaudreau vs Granlund. Though very off-topic and please ppl, do not take this very far...

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Guerin said he put on 15 lb. of muscle this summer working out with the Wild training staff. Surely that can't be right?
Hockey players always report this type of stuff. 15LBs if muscle in 5 months would be near impossible for a new lifter, not to mention someone whose been training for years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
IMO thats a bit unfair projection bc it assumes the best case scenario for Turcotte vs the worst case scenario for Rossi. I think a more interesting thought experience in this scenario - Gaudreau vs Granlund. Though very off-topic and please ppl, do not take this very far...
running-usain-bolt.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hockey players always report this type of stuff. 15LBs if muscle in 5 months would be near impossible for a new lifter, not to mention someone whose been training for years.
Well, I have lost almost 15 lbs. in preparation for the 2023-24 posting season. I feel faster, more alert, and my typing is much more efficient. It is possible!

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Random post, on KFAN this afternoon Rowsi wants to be called Rossi again. His reasoning is, Rowsi is supposed to have a rolling R, since us Americans don't do that he Likes Rossi better.

Per Brandon Mileski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad