Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It sounded like it was his decision*

*heavily influenced by

The kid wants to make the team and be a good NHL player more than anything else, so if his GM heavily implies that it would be best for him to stay in Minnesota for the summer, he's going to forego stuff like that to try to make a good impression. But someone should have told him it would be okay for him to go home for a few days to be at his own sisters wedding.
Ahh, yeah his choice but he felt obligated. I don’t think anyone in the organization would of told him he can’t go.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just to play devil's advocate. It makes a good excuse to skip a wedding instead of paying for the overseas travel. Not dealing with friends and family asking what happened last year is a bonus too. Plus maybe he's not really close with his sister (I'm not with any of mine and would skip their weddings if it's too inconvenient for me to go).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought it was interesting(as did Russo) that Walker tested 2nd on the team (ahead of Rossi and behind JEE) in the strength test, as his lack of strength and bulk is what is holding him back from being a full time NHL'er, IMO. He already has the speed, IQ, and enough skill to be a top 9/2nd PP unit guy, IMO. Just needs to be a bit better along the boards, and winning puck battles.

It's only one test, but if it indicates that if he has also had a good summer of training then he and Rossi might battle in training camp for a forward spot.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Holidays are once a year. your sister's wedding is "supposed to be" once in a lifetime.
True and if the team was forcing him, that would be a no no. But a team 'suggestion' and when we are all of us are saying it is a "make or break" year ... one would have to sit down and think about one's priorities. No one would hold it against him if he went, but also should speak volume to where his mind is at this summer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not the biggest fan of management, but in no way do I believe that they prevented him, or pressured him into not going back home for a week/weekend during the summer. Not a chance.

I don't think it was pressuring to skip his sisters wedding, but that snippet I posted is from Russo's article about Rossi's exit interview, so it's nigh indisputable that Guerin heavily implied that staying in Minnesota would be what's best for Rossi.

After that, maybe they didn't even know his sister was having a wedding, but Rossi wasn't going to try skipping his training for it because he wanted to please his management. I'm not saying it's malice on the part of Guerin or anyone else, but Rossi was probably worried (probably irrationally) that if he tried leaving again, it would hurt his chances to impress his boss, essentially.

Or maybe like Wabit said, he didn't really wanna go that badly either, and hockey really was his top priority.

Again, wasn't trying to imply malice on behalf of Guerin, but he's still a kid trying to do what he thinks is best for his career.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think it was pressuring to skip his sisters wedding, but that snippet I posted is from Russo's article about Rossi's exit interview, so it's nigh indisputable that Guerin heavily implied that staying in Minnesota would be what's best for Rossi.

After that, maybe they didn't even know his sister was having a wedding, but Rossi wasn't going to try skipping his training for it because he wanted to please his management. I'm not saying it's malice on the part of Guerin or anyone else, but Rossi was probably worried (probably irrationally) that if he tried leaving again, it would hurt his chances to impress his boss, essentially.

Or maybe like Wabit said, he didn't really wanna go that badly either, and hockey really was his top priority.

Again, wasn't trying to imply malice on behalf of Guerin, but he's still a kid trying to do what he thinks is best for his career.
I don't think it has anything to do with pleasing management. I'm sure it has everything to do with wanting to start living up to his and everybody else's expectations. Obviously it was something that he felt he needed to do.

I'm interpreting the "staying in Minnesota" thing as a "don't go back to Austria for 4 months, stay here and work with our guys", not a "you shouldn't leave Minnesota at all over the summer". You can stay in Minnesota and still go home for week.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think it has anything to do with pleasing management. I'm sure it has everything to do with wanting to start living up to his and everybody else's expectations. Obviously it was something that he felt he needed to do.

I'm interpreting the "staying in Minnesota" thing as a "don't go back to Austria for 4 months, stay here and work with our guys", not a "you shouldn't leave Minnesota at all over the summer". You can stay in Minnesota and still go home for week.

Sure, of course he wants to start living up the expectations and get better as a hockey player. I 100% believe that was very much part of it, not denying that.

But if you're a kid just starting your career, and you're not performing the way you and your boss had hoped, and your boss says something to the effect of, "hey you might wanna put in some extra time to improve ____ about your performance", you're probably not going to take any chances by asking for time off, until you've met those expectations.

And again, there's probably a good chance Guerin didn't know about the wedding, so there's no malice there, and again maybe Wabit is right. But Rossi was never going to ask, so I'm just saying there should have been an adult in the room to kinda nudge him towards going. There are things more important than your job, is the point I'm trying to make, and kids don't always realize that when they're feeling pressure.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Just to play devil's advocate. It makes a good excuse to skip a wedding instead of paying for the overseas travel. Not dealing with friends and family asking what happened last year is a bonus too. Plus maybe he's not really close with his sister (I'm not with any of mine and would skip their weddings if it's too inconvenient for me to go).
I would have done a lot, to not attend a wedding, whether it was my sister, a friend ,or even my own. I hate to dress up and mingle with tons of people.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I would have done a lot, to not attend a wedding, whether it was my sister, a friend ,or even my own. I hate to dress up and mingle with tons of people.
I like dressing up, I dislike mingling, and I love open bars. Luckily the open bar helps with the mingling.
I did not enjoy my own wedding though. Too much stress, and basically no drinks (for me).

Reactions: fredrikstad

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think that a Johansson/Rossi/Gaudreau line would be a decent balance/compromise between "gifting" him a spot and playing him with "scrubs", at least to start off.

Too bad we don't have a better option for a top 6 winger than Johansson, unless Beckman/Walker come into camp/preseason and go off.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think that a Johansson/Rossi/Gaudreau line would be a decent balance/compromise between "gifting" him a spot and playing him with "scrubs", at least to start off.

Too bad we don't have a better option for a top 6 winger than Johansson, unless Beckman/Walker come into camp/preseason and go off.

What are the rest of your lines looking like with Johansson-Rossi-Gaudreau

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What are the rest of your lines looking like with Johansson-Rossi-Gaudreau
Kaprizov/Hartman/Zuccarello
Better-than-Johansson/Eriksson Ek/Boldy

Or mix and match those 6 as you deem fit. Not trying to change the world, just take a realistic small step forward.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Or mix and match those 6 as you deem fit. Not trying to change the world, just take a realistic small step forward.
The issue with this is “Better-than-Johansson” will very likely not be better than Johansson.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Yeah, would work if Walker or Beckman came to camp and put on a show, but neither of them were better players than Rossi in the AHL last year so I guess I don't have high hopes for that

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The easiest and most logical path forward still seems to be

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello
Johansson-Rossi-Boldy
Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman
Maroon-Dewar-Duhaime

until such a time as Rossi proves he can't handle that

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That is the rub, yes.
Also, Boldy looks a lot better with a speedy player. Can Walker even be on the roster with our cap situation? I haven’t looked. He might have to be some sort of stop gap.

Ideally for me:

Kap-Hartman-Zucc
Johansson-Ek-Boldy
Gaudreau*-Rossi-Walker

If Rossi shows he can skate 5 feet with the puck without looking like a deer in headlights, that’s when you start giving him cracks with the top 6. Maybe start him on the power play with them to build offensive confidence.

That’s how I would go about it.

* - was originally Foligno, meant to say Gaudreau

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also, Boldy looks a lot better with a speedy player. Can Walker even be on the roster with our cap situation? I haven’t looked. He might have to be some sort of stop gap.

Ideally for me:

Kap-Hartman-Zucc
Johansson-Ek-Boldy
Foligno-Rossi-Walker

If Rossi shows he can skate 5 feet with the puck without looking like a deer in headlights, that’s when you start giving him cracks with the top 6. Maybe start him on the power play with them to build offensive confidence.

That’s how I would go about it.
If somebody starts on IR, then I'm guessing so. But we have $43k in cap space right now, and Walker makes $80k more than Khaira, so we couldn't just swap those two and remain compliant.

If Addison would've just been forced to take his QO amount, then there would've been enough room for Walker. It was after Khaira signed that Addison signed, so my thinking is that they are planning to go with him as the 13th forward to start.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If somebody starts on IR, then I'm guessing so. But we have $43k in cap space right now, and Walker makes $80k more than Khaira, so we couldn't just swap those two and remain compliant.

If Addison would've just been forced to take his QO amount, then there would've been enough room for Walker. It was after Khaira signed that Addison signed, so my thinking is that they are planning to go with him as the 13th forward to start.
That is most unfortunate. I think Walker deserves a shot at this moment too. I’m not super involved with the cap accumulation; I wonder how many days it will take to accumulate that extra difference between Walker. I’m assuming Khaira will be sent down until he is needed.

The easiest and most logical path forward still seems to be

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Zuccarello
Johansson-Rossi-Boldy
Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman
Maroon-Dewar-Duhaime

until such a time as Rossi proves he can't handle that
Stylistically, I think Foligno-Gaudreau-Hartman should work. I also like that Hartman isn’t taking draws because by golly he is the worst at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad