Prospect Info: Marco Rossi, Center, 9th Overall - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I think his performance at WC in Finland was o.k.. He was a PPG-Player on a really bad team. Austria had one solid game versus Finland and thats it. Austria had so many brainfarts on their own end during this tournament, it was embereassing to watch.

The future doesn't look to bright for austria, because we've got a big problem on the goalkeeper position: Starkbaum isn't getting any younger and there aren't promising austrian goalie-prospects out there. But you need a decent goalie for those tournament.

That being said, I'm happy to watch Kasper, Rossi and Reinbacher again at next years WC-Tournament.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rossi isn’t a Boldy or Fiala who can hang to the puck and create opportunities on his own so I’m not putting too much stock in him having to play hero puck against better opponents.

i do think you have to consider moving him to wing or giving him a look with Kaprizov before he has earned it. What’s the upside of rotating in your Steels, Hartmans, Rasks, Gaudreaus etc at 1C and never giving your two most important Cs (Rossi & JEE) a look? Shit, even give the Boldy at C thing a genuine audition. But who am I kidding, it will 100% be Zucc-Hartman-Kaprizov game 1 next year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi isn’t a Boldy or Fiala who can hang to the puck and create opportunities on his own so I’m not putting too much stock in him having to play hero puck against better opponents.

i do think you have to consider moving him to wing or giving him a look with Kaprizov before he has earned it. What’s the upside of rotating in your Steels, Hartmans, Rasks, Gaudreaus etc at 1C and never giving your two most important Cs (Rossi & JEE) a look? Shit, even give the Boldy at C thing a genuine audition. But who am I kidding, it will 100% be Zucc-Hartman-Kaprizov game 1 next year
I don't see Rossi having the physicality and speed to be effective at wing. He is not good at board battles, will not stretch the ice with speed, and will not be a good candidate to crash the net. I think he is better off staying at C. He is quite good positionally there, and usually on the right side of the puck. Just needs to get better at FO's.

He is quite different than Granlund in that he is a born(or made) C, while Granlund was a natural w.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I don't see Rossi having the physicality and speed to be effective at wing. He is not good at board battles, will not stretch the ice with speed, and will not be a good candidate to crash the net. I think he is better off staying at C. He is quite good positionally there, and usually on the right side of the puck. Just needs to get better at FO's.

He is quite different than Granlund in that he is a born(or made) C, while Granlund was a natural w.
Which is funny if true, bc he was advertised as another thick boi like Crosby or KK

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Which is funny if true, bc he was advertised as another thick boi like Crosby or KK
I never really saw that, but it seems like Rossi hasn't grown a lick since he was drafted. He's getting a bit stronger, for sure, but he is still below average for an AHL'er in terms of strength(way below for size, obviously). He is more like a young Spurgeon, but without the wheels and smarts. I used to worry that Byfuglien would kill, then eat Spurgeon.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I never really saw that, but it seems like Rossi hasn't grown a lick since he was drafted. He's getting a bit stronger, for sure, but he is still below average for an AHL'er in terms of strength(way below for size, obviously). He is more like a young Spurgeon, but without the wheels and smarts. I used to worry that Byfuglien would kill, then eat Spurgeon.
I think it was 2 off-seasons ago he was posting workouts and there were some articles on it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A nice write-up on Rossi

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Guerin said he put on 15 lb. of muscle this summer working out with the Wild training staff. Surely that can't be right?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Guerin said he put on 15 lb. of muscle this summer working out with the Wild training staff. Surely that can't be right?

He could have. He lost the year to COVID and then was injured (mildly IIRC) at the end of his rookie AHL season.

So a healthy offseason, working with pro-sports quality trainers for (maybe) the first time ever, and he might still be regaining some of what was lost to COVID inactivity.

I do doubt it's all muscle mass. My guess is probably 5lbs is just normal weight gain after playing a full season in a high cardio sport and then slowing down for the summer.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He could have. He lost the year to COVID and then was injured (mildly IIRC) at the end of his rookie AHL season.

So a healthy offseason, working with pro-sports quality trainers for (maybe) the first time ever, and he might still be regaining some of what was lost to COVID inactivity.

I do doubt it's all muscle mass. My guess is probably 5lbs is just normal weight gain after playing a full season in a high cardio sport and then slowing down for the summer.
I mean, it's possible that he put on 15 lb, but that's a lot for a guy who is 5'9". It'd be different if he was 6'2"+, or something. He looked pretty stocky to begin with, also. Agree that "15 lb of muscle" is merely an indicator that it's not some guy sitting on his couch eating Lou Malnati's, Dan Dan noodles, and drinking beer all day long while binge watching Netflix.

If true, this is a hopeful development. I've always thought that he could be a top 9 player (C hopefully) if he got faster and stronger, or at least one of the two. There are on or two other issues on top of that, but they are figure outable.

The guy has improved during his time in the AHL. Hopefully he continues to.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I mean, it's possible that he put on 15 lb, but that's a lot for a guy who is 5'9". It'd be different if he was 6'2"+, or something. He looked pretty stocky to begin with, also. Agree that "15 lb of muscle" is merely an indicator that it's not some guy sitting on his couch eating Lou Malnati's, Dan Dan noodles, and drinking beer all day long while binge watching Netflix.

If true, this is a hopeful development. I've always thought that he could be a top 9 player (C hopefully) if he got faster and stronger, or at least one of the two. There are on or two other issues on top of that, but they are figure outable.

The guy has improved during his time in the AHL. Hopefully he continues to.
There was one pre-season, '06-07, when I read a report that Martin St. Louis had put on 20lbs and was coming into camp ready for the best season of his career (and it turned out to be). That guy was even shorter than Rossi. I agree that it's a lot of pounds for a small guy to put on, but if he has he may be way sturdier this year, maybe faster too. I'm hoping so.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There was one pre-season, '06-07, when I read a report that Martin St. Louis had put on 20lbs and was coming into camp ready for the best season of his career (and it turned out to be). That guy was even shorter than Rossi. I agree that it's a lot of pounds for a small guy to put on, but if he has he may be way sturdier this year, maybe faster too. I'm hoping so.
MSL had ridiculous thighs. Thing with Rossi was that i thought he was already fairly big ...wasn't he listed at 185? Wabit is probably right that he lost weight during the season, maybe down to the high 170's, and is now up to 190 or so.

I have a very athletic son(was a college athlete)who is the same height as Rossi. At one point he was 190. I know there are freaks out there he can get bigger, but 5'9", 190 is very big, if you have low body fat.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
MSL had ridiculous thighs. Thing with Rossi was that i thought he was already fairly big ...wasn't he listed at 185? Wabit is probably right that he lost weight during the season, maybe down to the high 170's, and is now up to 190 or so.

I have a very athletic son(was a college athlete)who is the same height as Rossi. At one point he was 190. I know there are freaks out there he can get bigger, but 5'9", 190 is very big, if you have low body fat.
My only concern is if the extra lbs comes in detriment to the quickness he also needs, especially for a 5'9" frame, 200lbs could be a bit overkill. But all that is speculation until we finally see him on the ice. I'm cautiously optimistic.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My only concern is if the extra lbs comes in detriment to the quickness he also needs, especially for a 5'9" frame, 200lbs could be a bit overkill. But all that is speculation until we finally see him on the ice. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rossi was never going to succeed on his quickness in the NHL, and he very clearly needed more strength, so if this is what that looks like, I'm okay with it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi was never going to succeed on his quickness in the NHL, and he very clearly needed more strength, so if this is what that looks like, I'm okay with it.
My thoughts, too. He also needs to get better at processing the NHL game, too. He was vg at the AHL game in that respect, but always seemed to misunderstand how much time he had when he played in the NHL.

There's no way he can get to 200 lbs. 190 is probably maxed out, as I am guessing he is closer to 5'8 than 5'9.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild say no pretty easily. Rossi is a better AHLer and he doesn't have a history of concussion/other injury issues.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I hope its the same 15lbs Granlund put on when he needed too early on. Would make a huge difference in Rossi's game and hopefully his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad