Marc Bergevin -'The answer is in that room'- Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I looked through the NHL statistical leaders from the 2000-01 season to today.

There are four teams in the NHL that have never had a player in the top 10 in the league in points since 2000-01: Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville and Phoenix.

Here's the list for the teams that have had the most players in the top 10 in scoring since 2000-01:

Pittsburgh:18
Washington:15
Tampa Bay:14
Vancouver:11
Ottawa:10
Atlanta / Winnipeg:9
Colorado:9
Dallas:9
San Jose:9
Anaheim:6
Calgary:6
Detroit:6
Boston:5
Edmonton:5
New Jersey:5
Philadelphia:5
Chicago:4
St. Louis:4
Toronto:4
Carolina:3
NY Rangers:3
Buffalo:2
Los Angeles:2
NY Islanders:2
Columbus:1
Florida:1
Minnesota:0
Montreal:0
Nashville:0
Phoenix:0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It really is kind of sad.

And people laughed at Gainey when he tried to go after Lecavalier, Sundin and the steep price he paid for Gomez but at least the man understood how to build a team. Not like he ever won any stanley cups or anything. And Gainey was trying to acquire a center back when we still had Plekanec and Koivu as our top centers, not Danault and JDLR lol.

Trading for a bonafide #1C is hard no doubt about that. It's even harder when you draft one and adamantly play him on the wing. MB let our best scorer and offensive leader walk for nothing. Had 6 years to replace Markov. Who cares. Had 6 years to find this team a center. What's that? Lmao

Last edited:

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Fixing the Habs, in six steps:

1. Molson steps down as president today and hired Gainey to replace him. I don't see anybody else than Gainey for this job. Most important step.
2. Gainey fires Bergevin on the spot and manage the trade deadline this year.
3. Galchenyuk back at center; Drouin on the wing. Get rid of Julien if needed.
4. Pacioretty, Plekanec, Benn, Shaw and Schlemko are made available and traded for the highest offers.
5. Brisebois is hired as GM at the end of Tampa's season.
6. Start preparing for maximizing the value of Weber and Price in trades. Take on/retain some salary if necessary, but get core assets for them.

Reactions: Bryson

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com

1. Molson steps down as president today and hired Gainey to replace him. I don't see anybody else than Gainey for this job. Most important step.
4. Pacioretty, Plekanec, Benn, Shaw and Schlemko are made available and traded for the highest offers.
6. Start preparing for maximizing the value of Weber and Price in trades. Take on/retain some salary if necessary, but get core assets for them.

Good post, but I bet not a single one of those things will come true.

I would like to see Pacioretty go as much as the next disgruntled fan, but I have absolutely no doubt that we won't get anywhere near full value back for him. Maybe a 4th round pick and a checking line winger at most. Or a 35 year old defenseman. Habs always find a way to trade from a position of weakness.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's time to move on from Gainey. I love the guy but his time here is done.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
no Photo????

Photos in the link but here they are.

26114147_10155237273246593_2505067849218524569_n.jpg
26166759_10155237273251593_4510556059175543404_n.jpg
26169610_10155237273256593_3411748147314569738_n.jpg

26055680_10155237273241593_2856724864265740236_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: McGuires Corndog

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Unless something happens soon this season will be one of the worst seasons in the history of the franchise. It's the 2nd time it happens in 3 years. I would say if you make the top 10 of the worst seasons this season and the 2015-2016 season will be in the top 10. How MB is able to survive that remains a mystery. No other GM in the league would survive that.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Such a poorly built team...

Early on, I wasn't sure about Bergevin's vision for the team but I thought he did well for most trades.

Since the PK trade, the vision is, well, I'm not sure what it is AND he's lost most trades as well.

Result? A terribly built team and now, not enough talent to compensate for the lack of vision.

Reactions: sheed36 and BLONG7

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Good post, but I bet not a single one of those things will come true.

I would like to see Pacioretty go as much as the next disgruntled fan, but I have absolutely no doubt that we won't get anywhere near full value back for him. Maybe a 4th round pick and a checking line winger at most. Or a 35 year old defenseman. Habs always find a way to trade from a position of weakness.

4th round pick? good grief. What the f*** is this post

Look at what rentals went for the past few years, and Pacioretty still has 4.5m on a sweetheart deal.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
4th round pick? good grief. What the **** is this post

Look at what rentals went for the past few years, and Pacioretty still has 4.5m on a sweetheart deal.

I lol'ed when I saw that 4th round. I didn't even want to respond. Thank you for responding ( I understand the irony of responding to this post)

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
So I'm too pessimistic. But honestly, it's hard not to be sometimes.

I'm down with pessimism right now, you are totally correct that its hard not to be.

Max is our BEST trade asset on the Habs. He sucks wieners this year but he could land us some great stuff ( high 1st round pick, decent prospects etc)

Now if you said " We will only get a 4th round for Patches cause MB sucks at negotiating and some GM will fleece him" then everyone on the board ( few exceptions) would have been behind ya

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I'm down with pessimism right now, you are totally correct that its hard not to be.

Max is our BEST trade asset on the Habs. He sucks wieners this year but he could land us some great stuff ( high 1st round pick, decent prospects etc)

Now if you said " We will only get a 4th round for Patches cause MB sucks at negotiating and some GM will fleece him" then everyone on the board ( few exceptions) would have been behind ya

Oh, I hope for a high 1st round pick.

But after watching the team all through the late 90s to today, I just completely lost all faith in this team's ability to make good trades.

Just look at what the return was for Mark Recchi, Pierre Turgeon and Vincent Damphousse. It's been 20 years and I'm still scratching my head. Legit superstars traded for basically scrubs.

I'll never forget when I heard that Roy was traded to Colorado, my first reaction was to wonder whether we got Sakic or Forsberg. Lol.

It's a very deep trauma you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It shouldn't enter the conversation on any level, to be honest.

This is sports. The objective should be to win.

The only time a region should matter, is if that region is producing NHL talent and you're not scouting it thoroughly.

Which I think could be relevant. People underscout the Q. Yanni Gourde was there for the taking. Samuel Blais is probably better than a lot of non Q playing in this league right now. Cédric Paquette would have been a heck of a bottom sixer. And when I talk about the Q....I talk about the Q. Palat would have been taken earlier if not from the Q. So many examples that you could use the Q as your mini-Sweden (I said mini...) that you should look at it differently. Mind you, with all the money that Molson has, we shouldu scout more and everywhere. Not just the Q.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It's time to move on from Gainey. I love the guy but his time here is done.

Personally I feel we gave up on Gainey way too soon after just one "bad" trade. I think there is no proof that Gainey lost his mind after his daughter died. He lost his daughter (god rest her soul) almost 3 years before the Gomez trade happened. I think that Gainey just wanted to win really badly. Already that Gainey was a proven winner, events probably made him realize that life is not infinite and you can't sit on your ass waiting for things to magically happen. The Gomez trade was a win now move that was contingent on also acquiring Gionta and Cammalleri. Like him or not Gomez had respect around the league. As I've said before, stars attract stars. Marc Bergevin traded the best defeneseman we've had in almost 30 years for an aging defenseman! Did MB lose his daughter too? What was the excuse of his moment of insanity? The answer is there was none. That was his win now move.

Gainey's downfall was declaring a 5 year plan. As we know now it takes much longer than that to build a cup contender and it was unrealistic to expect such especially after the nuclear waste Gainey had to clean up after Rejean Houle but the team was always headed in the right direction, acquiring key players and team drafted well under his tenure. He completely robbed NYR in the Kovalev deal and San Jose with Craig Rivet. If ever there was a time to preach patience it was then. Under MB this team is headed for the dark ages and off a cliff.

We are talking about a President's position. Gainey is level headed enough and enough of a winner that he would not stand for what we are seeing now. If we are going to rehash old Habs alumni than I'd rather it be Gainey. Time to bring some class back into this organization.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It's a good thing, for the statues' sake, that there are no eye holes. Too ugly to watch.

I didn't watch last night. At one point i was in front of the TV - while talking on the phone - but i just left the Netflix menu on the screen instead of tuning in to the game. There's just nothing to see. A loss, no exciting players, nothing of interest ... boring.

To think, for 1.6M more, they could have Radulov instead of Alzner.

This GM deserves to lose.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad