Marc-Andre Fleury

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
If he didn't miss so much time you could argue he was a Vezina candidate

He's absolutely a Vezina candidate if he keeps the pace/doesn't get hurt. Big IF but based on his play before the injury. For sure.

Proud of Flower, I've never teared up during a game before but during the montage in Pittsburgh watching him show that much emotion, tugged at the strings.

I've always been a huge MAF fan (Would like him to have a world juniors gold however haha.) I've been dreaming of a scenario where Fleury takes the pens dreams of a third cup in the finals, now its just for another team!

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It seems he's eliminated the bonehead plays that used to plague his game. Happy to see him doing so well with VGK.

Will be happier still to see him have a few lousy games, and then a wonderful summer.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It seems he's eliminated the bonehead plays that used to plague his game. Happy to see him doing so well with VGK.

Will be happier still to see him have a few lousy games, and then a wonderful summer.

He did. And he's refined his technique quite a bit over the past few years. I was reading an article about the scouting report Johan Hedberg did for the Sharks (he scouts all of their opposing goalies) and the report was basically that their best chance at beating Fleury was to exploit weak defensive coverage for cross-crease plays. That says a lot about where his technical game is at right now.

Reactions: Fixxer

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Really? Like game 7 last year when he stole the show in Washington??

I said most runs not all runs. Career 908% and 2.65gaa before this season in playoffs are some of the worst among starters within the same period.

Really glad to see him performing well this season. Could have easily opted to remain in the comfort of the powerhouse that are Penguins but chose to challenge himself. Hope Vegas goes all the way as this has been my bandwagon team for this season playoffs run.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
wow he certainly is having a good playoff run so far. another shut out as well he certainly was a good pick up by vegas.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
What's the record for most shutouts in one postseason? Currently at 4 thru 10 games has to be knocking at the door.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Eh. One failed clear led right to a Sharks goal so not entirely.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
wonder what his gaa and save percentage is after the shutout tonight? it was pretty good before i think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too many similarities here to Giguere and the 2003 Mighty Ducks for Fleury and Vegas. Both teams 8-2 after the first two rounds, both teams with a first round sweep. That Anaheim team has some good pieces, just like Vegas does, but it's mostly a goalie standing on his head.

I gotta wonder if Dallas is regretting not trying to acquire Fleury before Vegas got to him? Instead they signed Bishop, who is made of glass and always gets injured, and he also seems to get injured at the worst times. Like during playoff runs and sometimes before the playoffs. He's also signed for more term.

St. Louis also might be kicking themselves.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As a pens fan, I am really happy for the guy.
As a pens fan, I still expect the implosion.
He's due to get lit up a bit, but I think the Fleury of 2018 is a much better goalie than the one that used to implode in the playoffs for the Pens.

I always thought of Fleury in 2003-2014 as an average (at best) goalie on a stacked team. I'd say 2014-2018 Fleury is better than 2003-2014 Fleury and is easily a top 5-7 goalie in the league. It's not usual that a goalie seems to suddenly get better into his 30's, but it seems to be the case for Fleury. He kind of had an off year last season, but over the last combined 4 years he's been one of the best in the league just over that time period.

He's a much better goalie than Matt Murray this season.

Life can be ironic sometimes.
I think Pittsburgh made the right move in the end. For cap purposes and because Murray is 10 years younger and they already won a cup with him as the starter for the entirety (except for the first couple games) of the playoffs, as well another cup with a combo of Fleury and Murray.

And I've been a very vocal critic of Murray's play this playoffs, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the move.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Fleury is playing with house money here. He is a savvy vet with nothing to lose, and his loose happy go lucky style has the team following his foot steps.

And...

FLEURY DOESN'T HAVE THE PRESSURE OF DELIVERING AN ORGANIZATION OF GENERATIONAL TALENT THE EXPECTED SUCCESS. Tag me when you quote that.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Too many similarities here to Giguere and the 2003 Mighty Ducks for Fleury and Vegas. Both teams 8-2 after the first two rounds, both teams with a first round sweep. That Anaheim team has some good pieces, just like Vegas does, but it's mostly a goalie standing on his head.

I gotta wonder if Dallas is regretting not trying to acquire Fleury before Vegas got to him? Instead they signed Bishop, who is made of glass and always gets injured, and he also seems to get injured at the worst times. Like during playoff runs and sometimes before the playoffs. He's also signed for more term.

St. Louis also might be kicking themselves.

I think this Vegas team is much better than the 03 Ducks. It isn’t all Fleury. He’s been a wall so far but the team in front of him is playing well too. Those similarities are pretty interesting though and I didn’t even think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad