Marc-Andre Fleury

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Can we get some appreciation for this guy? He has been one of the most polarizing players in the NHL in recent memory for a variety of reasons (1st overall in a stacked draft with huge expectations, World Juniors mishap, natural anti-Penguins bias, then being turned on by his own fans for playoff woes, etc etc) .

But I think at this point we can just watch and appreciate the goaltender he has developed into. What most people don't realise is that while he was the scapegoat for the Penguins teams from 2010-2014, it was almost always the team defense's fault rather than his but he was an easy whipping boy.

The Bylsma-led Penguins played absolutely putrid, undisciplined hockey and they hung MAF out to dry over and over. Under Michel Therrien he put up great numbers, under Sullivan he did well, and now under Galalnt he is playing like a star.

The bonus here is that he is a genuinely good guy. That move from Pittsburgh could have turned ugly with his no-trade clause but he was classy the whole way and it's paying off for him now.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Can we get some appreciation for this guy? He has been one of the most polarizing players in the NHL in recent memory for a variety of reasons (1st overall in a stacked draft with huge expectations, World Juniors mishap, natural anti-Penguins bias, then being turned on by his own fans for playoff woes, etc etc) .

But I think at this point we can just watch and appreciate the goaltender he has developed into. What most people don't realise is that while he was the scapegoat for the Penguins teams from 2010-2014, it was almost always the team defense's fault rather than his but he was an easy whipping boy.

The Bylsma-led Penguins played absolutely putrid, undisciplined hockey and they hung MAF out to dry over and over. Under Michel Therrien he put up great numbers, under Sullivan he did well, and now under Galalnt he is playing like a star.

The bonus here is that he is a genuinely good guy. That move from Pittsburgh could have turned ugly with his no-trade clause but he was classy the whole way and it's paying off for him now.
The credit should be given to the coach and the team in front of him.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Then why was he blamed when the team's defense was absolute **** from 2010-2014? Can't have it both ways. I'm one of those people who think a team's system is much more important than the goalie in net but again, the way people have treated him is hypocritical.
He was blasted more by the rest of the hockey world than by pens fans. Hf pens fans were more critical, but the vast majority of pens fans absolutely did not turn on him. He's one of the most loved players in Pittsburgh history, and people would still chant his name despite his struggles.

That said i think people need to realize it's difficult to post sparkling numbers behind an aggressive offensive team like Pittsburgh. Something to think about next time people try and suggest Matt Murray isn't a great goalie.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This is a somewhat of a false revisionist history. The Penguins play in the playoffs more often than not (2012) was more than adequate. Fleury simply did not come through in 2010, 2013, 2014. 2015 wasn't bad, then Murray came to town in 2016. He gets one game and blows it. 2017, he was great and since being in LV, he's been great.

2012 was a complete dumpster fire team wide, yes, but Fleury led that charge as well.

Don't kid yourself, the MAF you see right now is NOT the MAF the Pens saw the VAST majority of the time from him in the playoffs.

Want proof? Check out highlights from:

2010 MTL series, 2012 Flyers series. 2013 Islanders series. 2014 Columbus series (before being pulled for Vokoun).

Fleury has played very well in Vegas. Fleury overall was average in Pittsburgh. Talent was there but he lacked composure too many times.

This.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Then why was he blamed when the team's defense was absolute **** from 2010-2014? Can't have it both ways. I'm one of those people who think a team's system is much more important than the goalie in net but again, the way people have treated him is hypocritical.

Again, false history. Historically, offense was the issue for the Penguins come playoff time. Lack of winger depth due to Shero was far more of an issue than defense ever was.

Dude, no offense, but your knowledge of the Pens playoff history with MAF is as bad as MAF's play in that time. Get off that subject and let's get back to praising his current play.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Fleury redeemed himself last playoffs. And he's doing it again this season.

I agree with this. He was great vs Columbus and Washington last year and so far this year, he's reach that potential all Pens fans knew he had.

Consider this - had he reached that potential in Pittsburgh, Murray likely would not even be in Pittsburgh.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Vokoun did pretty well behind the same team in 2013. He had better regular season stats and these were the playoff stats:

Vokoun SV% .933, GAA 2.01, QS% .636
Fleury SV% .883 GAA 3.52, QS% .250

Last edited:

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Again, false history. Historically, offense was the issue for the Penguins come playoff time. Lack of winger depth due to Shero was far more of an issue than defense ever was.

Dude, no offense, but your knowledge of the Pens playoff history with MAF is as bad as MAF's play in that time. Get off that subject and let's get back to praising his current play.

No it isn't, but it is tough for Penguins fans to be objective about the guy like you can't seem to be, since he was such a polarizing figure on your boards. The people who hated him on HF Pens hated him with a blinding passion, and there was always a big debate about it.

Fleury was the release valve for all of the Penguins fans frustrations from 2010-2014 but they didn't realise that there were deeper issues. It was the same Fleury that posted .930+ under Michel Therrien in the playoffs, but the team in front of him under Bylsma would have made any goalie look bad. Though he did have a penchant for some mindbogglingly flukey goals to be scored against him which compounded the issue.

It comes down to the basic tenet that the system is more important than the goalie. It's how Devan Dubnyk was at one point the laughing stock in the league in Edmonton but a Vezina nominee in Minnesota. Brian Elliott an .891 goalie in Colorado then the next year .940 in St. Louis.

Fleury was the victim of an awful system under Bylsma and the fact that he is putting up such great numbers under Gallant is proof of that. He's 33 years old or something. He didn't magically become this much better at this age.

Now obviously the system is a big part but the goalie himself has to have some skill, and that's what this thread is for. To celebrate MAF's talent and how everything has come together for him finally.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I agree with this. He was great vs Columbus and Washington last year and so far this year, he's reach that potential all Pens fans knew he had.

Consider this - had he reached that potential in Pittsburgh, Murray likely would not even be in Pittsburgh.

Oh look, under Mike Sullivan's system he played well. What a shocker.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Fleury had similar numbers in the regular season under Sully and Bylsma. He was good under MJ but that system hurt our offense (which is our strength).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No it isn't, but it is tough for Penguins fans to be objective about the guy like you can't seem to be, since he was such a polarizing figure on your boards. The people who hated him on HF Pens hated him with a blinding passion, and there was always a big debate about it.

Fleury was the release valve for all of the Penguins fans frustrations from 2010-2014 but they didn't realise that there were deeper issues. It was the same Fleury that posted .930+ under Michel Therrien in the playoffs, but the team in front of him under Bylsma would have made any goalie look bad. Though he did have a penchant for some mindbogglingly flukey goals to be scored against him which compounded the issue.

If you wanna believe in false truths, that's your problem. I've never seen so much projecting in all my life.

He posted similar RS numbers under both Bylsma and Sullivan.

THEN in 2016 JR gets some depth in place and Sullivan brings in youth. But in 2016, it was 100% Murray. MAF lost the one game he was in. Then, under a tremendous amount of actual depth that the Pens didn't have in 2010-2015, he plays well.

You can argue system and that's valid. But to suggest that MAF's putrid play in several playoffs series was systemic or just the Pens fans blindly hating him...well that's just flat out wrong.

I mean jesus....

Good god...look up what happen in OT...

Google Game 7 MTL vs Pens...

Hell google ANY game from 2012.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Fans say practically every hockey player is a good guy but MAF is one the the few cases where I believe it. Every time I've seen him he treats people respectfully.

His teammates always spoke highly of him as a person as well.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Fluery had to leave the Pens for the rest of the NHL to understand how gifted the guy is... easily the most athletic goaltender in our time... totally abused by the Penguins under Bylsma, who felt his stellar athletic ability meant they could give up tons of high danger chances with risky undisciplined plays and he'd mostly bail them out.. then when hed give up a softy after being shell struck everyone would tear into him

Lol hed make a dozen amazing saves, then let up a softy cheating off the post anticipating the cross crease pass he was going to have to stop, and get crucified for it

Play solid d in front of him and let him play fundamental positioning and he is a top ten goalie...

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
If Fleury's playoff numbers were simply average or mediocre during his worst years in Pittsburgh, then I think the argument that he was hampered by a poor defense would have more weight. But his playoff numbers were awful. You don't post a save percentage in the 800s for 4 straight years just because of bad team defense. Glad for him that he's turned things around.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I'd still like to see him deal with some adversity and see if he can rebound from it before I get onboard with him as a goalie that can lead a team in the playoffs, but he's preforming at the level he needs to be so far in these playoffs which is always good.

Reactions: Aerrol

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Fleury was letting in numerous shots from behind the net and unscreened wristers from 45 feet.

I'm happy he's doing well now, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a big reason they lost in the past. Also, why did Vokoun do so well after replacing MAF when he was behind the same supposed "shit defense"?

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
He is a future HOFer, no doubt. Also, he has had a large number of brain farts over the years too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad