Post-Game Talk: Maple Leafs win big! Matthews is the hero

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Correct. I was saying earlier we have 2 records probably now. That one and we're 100 % on a 5 on 3 for the season.
Panthers were 1 for 1 in 20-21, Jackets were 2 for 2 in 18-19, and Jets were 3 for 3 in 20-21.

Plus of course this season isn't over yet.

Reactions: Burnie97

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
Was the place as empty as it looked on the feed? Seemed like large blocks of expensive seats were unoccupied.
No it was full, approx 35% in leafs jerseys…..
a bunch left when we made it 5-2

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In the 14 years they've been tracking that stat, only Tampa has had more 5-on-3 chances than Toronto (164 to our 160).
That doesn't change how problematic the current stat is. In fact, it makes it even worse. The fact that we got an abundance of 5 on 3s when we were bad and had worse players on our PPs and it dries up once we have one of the most dominant PPs in the league should raise some eyebrows.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Great to see Murray have a strong game. Once he showed he was having a solid start i was quite confident we'd take that game. When he's off, the evidence generally starts to pile up quickly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
First game since TDL that the Leafs looked like a contender. I realize it's against a team not in a playoff spot but that game was domination from the forwards to the goalie.

Rielly was outstanding no mistakes, in fact he played so well he was not noticeable all game. :D Leafs have their best game since Rielly came back from his injury and Rielly was not on the ice, coincidence or correlation?
It is becoming quite annoying that we have to constantly look for a defense partner to babysit our highest paid defenseman.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Means sweet f*** all how many 5-3's we got a decade ago. We have consistently been at the bottom of the league in PP the last 5 years with this group.

Over the last 5 years we have

5th fewest PP opportunities
3rd best PP percent
8th most PP goals

5th fewest PP against
12th best PK percent
14th most SHG

Over the last 2 years we have

22nd most PP opportunities
2nd best PP percent
5th most PP goals

16th most times short handed
9th best PK percent
2nd most SHG

We have the 2nd best PP while being among the teams bottom 10 in PP drawn. We have a top 10PK. In the regular season.

In the playoffs we have 16% PP over the last 5 years, bottom 10. We have the 3rd fewest PP opportunities per game.

In the playoffs we have a 76% PK over the last 5 years, bottom 10.

While the calls/non-calls are a problem, the bigger problem is not converting on the PP in the playoffs. Literally 1 more PP goal and we would have advanced in each of the last 5 years. Another problem is teams are allowed to commit bloody murder when PKing against us. Not sure what to make of all these stats but one thing for sure is, we need our special teams to translate to the post-season if we want to have any kind of success.

Reactions: Rocker13

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Over the last 5 years we have

5th fewest PP opportunities
3rd best PP percent
8th most PP goals

5th fewest PP against
12th best PK percent
14th most SHG

Over the last 2 years we have

22nd most PP opportunities
2nd best PP percent
5th most PP goals

16th most times short handed
9th best PK percent
2nd most SHG

We have the 2nd best PP while being among the teams bottom 10 in PP drawn. We have a top 10PK. In the regular season.

In the playoffs we have 16% PP over the last 5 years, bottom 10. We have the 3rd fewest PP opportunities per game.

In the playoffs we have a 76% PK over the last 5 years, bottom 10.

While the calls/non-calls are a problem, the bigger problem is not converting on the PP in the playoffs. Literally 1 more PP goal and we would have advanced in each of the last 5 years. Another problem is teams are allowed to commit bloody murder when PKing against us. Not sure what to make of all these stats but one thing for sure is, we need our special teams to translate to the post-season if we want to have any kind of success.

71 games to get a 5 on 3, something no other team in the history of the league has accomplished. Either we play too soft to force our opponents to commit PIM's, there is a bias against the Leafs, refs unintentionally missed calls, the previous record was 53 games. What I find coincidental was this stat was just recently brought up on a Leafs telecast and within a week like magic they get a 5 on 3 opportunity.

Special teams with and with out the puck are always huge influences in a short series. After last nights game and the dirty s#it TB was pulling on Ottawa, sure hope the refs call the game by the book. We are going to need to take advantage of every PIM.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Confidence issue after all the deadline acquisitions.. and the coach seemingly ignoring his quality play earlier in the season.

Feels like they're mismanaging his development. He had earned that top 4 spot. But f***ing with his confidence, scratching him, giving him less TOI is getting in his head and they took him out of rhythm.
Seriously if he developed "confidence issues" because the team acquired some dmen at the deadline, then he might be just a little bit too sensitive for pro hockey. That whole narrative is full of malarkey.

Liljegren had a LBI that affected his mobility in certain ways and I think it still may be affecting him To a certain degree.

Even back in his Marlie days he could be prone to over thinking his choices with the puck while under pressure, couple that with a nagging little injury. Once you put those two things together you get "danger man" instead of "dman."

He's going to be fine, and I can't stress this enough, he still is way shy of 200 NHL games. If you're expecting a grizzled NHL dman you've got the wrong guy.

71 games to get a 5 on 3, something no other team in the history of the league has accomplished. Either we play too soft to force our opponents to commit PIM's, there is a bias against the Leafs, refs unintentionally missed calls, the previous record was 53 games. What I find coincidental was this stat was just recently brought up on a Leafs telecast and within a week like magic they get a 5 on 3 opportunity.

Special teams with and with out the puck are always huge influences in a short series. After last nights game and the dirty s#it TB was pulling on Ottawa, sure hope the refs call the game by the book. We are going to need to take advantage of every PIM.
I still say INTENTIONALLY missed

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Even if we were by far the softest team in history we would still be drawing hooking, tripping, interference, slashing (the vast majority of all non-offsetting penalties called) calls just from having the puck more than the other team does.

Edmonton isn’t 3rd in PP opportunities because they play tough hockey lol.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Don’t know. Did they reset the clock last night? Should they have? If that ever happened I bet that it would open a hornets nest.

Brodie McCabe
Gio Holl
Rielly Schenn
I would bet a grand cash those are the 6 and exact pairings keefer is going with on game 1 .. Lily did not do well under playoff pressure of last 2 games against teams playing playoff pace .. do i think this is fair?? NO .. but rooks don't get 2nd chances .. especially D and it has always been that way .. same story for Sammy he folded in playoff hockey and he won't get game 1 now (but I don't really think he was ever getting game 1 anywho even if he stood on his head)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I’ll be happy enough if they don’t make up calls in their favour in deciding games. Surely they will get away with a lot of crap, we have to accept that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad