GDT: Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins 7 PM CBC

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can't live with Pitt getting the first overall. I still believe things were slanted towards them for Crosby and they don't deserve it.

I can't live with Sens Habs Pens and Oilers getting it. Sabres Blue Jackets are fine.

Don't remember any of those organizations suffering as long as the Leafs.
So no to all.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So no to all.

Technically the only organization that has suffered as long as us is the Blues (1967 expansion, no cup). Made it to the finals their first 3 years in the league, got swept all 3 times. 1980-2004, make the playoffs 25 straight years, not even a single finals appearance and many, many chokes (they were the Sharks of the 80's and 90's). And now... back to the choking the last few years in the 1st round. But they are a playoff team, so they are irrelevant to this draft lottery discussion.

Otherwise, next closest are Buffalo and Vancouver, but **** Vancouver and since they are a divisional rival, **** Buffalo too. The Jackets have only had to suffer 16 years. 16 godawful years for the most part, but nothing compared to us.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Technically the only organization that has suffered as long as us is the Blues (1967 expansion, no cup). Made it to the finals their first 3 years in the league, got swept all 3 times. 1980-2004, make the playoffs 25 straight years, not even a single finals appearance and many, many chokes (they were the Sharks of the 80's and 90's). And now... back to the choking the last few years in the 1st round. But they are a playoff team, so they are irrelevant to this draft lottery discussion.

Otherwise, next closest are Buffalo and Vancouver, but **** Vancouver and since they are a divisional rival, **** Buffalo too. The Jackets have only had to suffer 16 years. 16 godawful years for the most part, but nothing compared to us.

The Jackets have still managed to draft Nash back in the day (add Carter to him) and Johansen then trade him for Jones.
Buffalo with Eichel. They had Hasek for years. Went to the Cup final.
Vancouver managed to get the #2 and 3 picks in the same draft for the Sedins. Went to the final.
Leafs have never made it past the 3rd round. There wasn't even 4 rounds when we last won.
Again, **** to all of them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Honestly at this stage in hockey life, I won't be "happy" with anyone getting (as of this time period) something better than we would. I love Columbus and all - but not even them.

I don't believe we'll win the lottery (like honestly the only one I thought we'd win was last years, and we didn't, so there you go). - but if someone gets the first I hope it's like Arizona, or San Jose or something. out of sight, out of mind.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Honestly at this stage in hockey life, I won't be "happy" with anyone getting (as of this time period) something better than we would. I love Columbus and all - but not even them.

I don't believe we'll win the lottery (like honestly the only one I thought we'd win was last years, and we didn't, so there you go). - but if someone gets the first I hope it's like Arizona, or San Jose or something. out of sight, out of mind.

Except Edmonton out of sight out of mind.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
SJ pick belong to Boston.

Matthews or not, I just hope Leafs pick the best player in the draft. Kind of like Toews being 3rd overall and is byfar the best player.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Except Edmonton out of sight out of mind.

honestly at this point, even if Edmonton won, it wouldn't even bother me because truthfully, I don't believe their entire management structure has the guts to make the moves that needs to be done to legitimately get better.

but yah i'd like them not to win the lottery either.

and i just realised san jose CAN'T because Boston has their pick.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
honestly at this point, even if Edmonton won, it wouldn't even bother me because truthfully, I don't believe their entire management structure has the guts to make the moves that needs to be done to legitimately get better.

but yah i'd like them not to win the lottery either.

and i just realised san jose CAN'T because Boston has their pick.

If Edmonton won again that would be insane. I wouldn't blame anyone who thought it was rigged if they won again.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Surely SJ realized that they should lottery protect their pick after they finished 22nd in the league the previous year. Right? Right?!?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Edmonton won again that would be insane. I wouldn't blame anyone who thought it was rigged if they won again.
Edm winning wouldn't be the worst though, if any of the habs, b's or sens won that would be horrible. If the habs won after pulling of a tank even better than ours in 11/12 i will be mad. Really hope they drafted 11-13 and trade the pick. If the b's win it with the sharks pick i will lose my ****. Tired of this franchise getting stud young guys from other teams picks. Though after seguin and hamilton maybe they trade the guy within a couple o fyears.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Surely SJ realized that they should lottery protect their pick after they finished 22nd in the league the previous year. Right? Right?!?
I think they thought adding Paul Martin(top 4 dmen) and Jones, who looked like a num 1 waiting to break out, would solve their issues. Stupid move on their part. With the new lotto system, you only trade 1st rounders if your comfortably in a playoff spot, or if your doing it for a surefire star. Otherwise lotto protect that pick.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm waiting for the posters that came to support Marincin and tell me that he's 3rd on the team in terms of possession numbers, tell me how good he is now.

Marincin has been brutal the whole season.

The Leafs defense as a whole has looked brutal for the past couple games. Any sort of pressure and they've buckled. Lots of turnovers. Hasn't been pretty.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
This loss was for the best. Wins don't help what we are trying to do. No need to feel disappointed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 3-2 loss against Boston on Saturday night.

[NHL]930741[/NHL]

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm waiting for the posters that came to support Marincin and tell me that he's 3rd on the team in terms of possession numbers, tell me how good he is now.

Marincin has been brutal the whole season.

The Leafs defense as a whole has looked brutal for the past couple games. Any sort of pressure and they've buckled. Lots of turnovers. Hasn't been pretty.

you do realise he can be both right?
like I don't use stats etc in most of my arguments at all if i can avoid it but i mean you can't be that bullheaded for lack of a better word, to think that Marincin could have good possession numbers, ergo - given time he COULD be better (but is not, and I would reckon his numbers have dropped). vs. just saying being brutal (and not finding anything to see why the Leafs would want to be patient).

chances are - a part of this has to be due to Babcock's wanting everyone on their proper sides as well as not disrupting the Marlies slash letting things lie for the most part. I would gather that next season Marincin isn't on this team at all if Babcock can get his blend.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Marincin has been doing that EVERY SINGLE TIME he gets the puck down low. head down, throws it out to nowhere blindly hoping it gets out of the zone. How he can do that so consistently and not get absolutely berated by babcock. I really dislike him. I know bernier could've stayed in his net there but this is a consistent problem with marincin, blind passes, and it has caused lines to get hemmed in many times this year simply due to his lack of IQ.

When Marincin was acquired for a 4th round pick, I wonder if management considered what his strengths were. No physical play, no skating ability to speak of, not physical, no production, and obviously can't take care of the puck. These types of acquisitions legitimately make me worried about management. Did they think they were getting a diamond in the rough, or a player to intentionally run the team into the sewer. Where is the accountability for Marincin, that one play alone is more than enough for a significant benching. There are MANY others available to take his minutes, it doesn't necessarily have be a Percy/Loov/Harrington.

At the end of the day its a wasted draft pick for a team that can't be wasting draft picks.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
So no to all.

Since 1993, Toronto were in 22 playoff rounds. Montreal and Vancouver have finally been able to catch-up and pass Toronto. (with 26 playoff rounds.)

Toronto was in the thick of things for years before JFJ. Allot of blame has been put on Toronto's draft record... but Leafs were so good. Since `93, there's been 23 years the Leafs didn't have a top 10 pick. That right there is 230 players Leafs had no chance on because of there place in the standings.

Honestly I think Toronto was allot like Montreal is right now. They had their upswing, and for whatever reasons, they threw it away.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I think the coaches challenge is a joke, both tonight and yesterday the offside (I agree they were both offside upon close review) had essentially nothing to do with the play and should still count if the linesmen at the time thought it was onside. Interference or egregious off sides should be called back but these plays are terrible for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad