GDT: Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins 7 PM CBC

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
And btw just for the record, I blame Marincin for the goal. My point was it doesn't happen if Bernier is in net. There's plenty of blame to go around!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What if it was game 7? Sometimes you gotta just do it. Mari is a trashy D no idea how he plays over the Marlies

While I don't like Marincin - "just do it" is dumb. game seven or not, winning a championship doesn't trump your health.

and quite frankly if this was game seven - I doubt Marincin would even be on this team, so it's moot.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
true. but Bernier for a while for me - isn't strong with his puck play, maybe it would have behooved him to just stay in the net?

I was saying "No Bernier, no," when he started coming out of the net there. I agree, I've never been impressed with his puck-handling, but it's not like he even really "played" it there. He slowed it down for Marincin to do something, and Marincin chose the worst option possible.

Ah well.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I know it was a bad pass by Marincin, but doesn't the guy covering Marchand deserve a bit of stick too? I couldn't see who it was, but there was someone right by Marchand, doing a fine job of watching him score.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I was pumped about him I really was but I dunno how he is ahead of Corrado atm... I mean we must be missing something HUGE in the practices to have Babs let him play constantly...or our worst case dream has come true and Marcincin is Bab's Johnny Malkin.

Yeah he must practice great, there was all kind of conflicting stuff out of Edmonton, but he has been underwhelming to say the least.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yeah, i agree that marincin is an idiot with that play, but bernier has to be more aware as to when to come out of the net, especially to go behind his net. There where two leafs and a bruin there, thats just too risky. There's no need for it.

I agree his first goal was pretty bad but he's been more of a steady player after that than our team's shoddy defensive effort. I mean he saved dion's fumble which lead on a 2 on 1 rush and several other times too. Yea he could've been positioned but a freaking OHL coach would rip you in pieces if you made a play like what Marincin did, Spott didn't use to care but his assistants were running rampant when he was quiet about it.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Yeah it's not totally on Bernier but to say he's absolved of any responsibility for the goal is a joke.

Stay in your net. It's not that hard. He's not great at handling the puck behind the net anyway. There was really no reason to play the puck in that instance. You have both your Dmen arriving anyway from each side. It's a tie game late in the game. Why not play conservative, let you d handle it and get the point?

The giveaway was ugly but jeez, it's completely fine to blame the goalie. If Reimer did that, he's to be blamed as well.

He was the first one to the puck and got it to his defensman safely. He even went the extra mile and blocked off the forechecker for Marincin to have time to make a good play. Instead he decides to send a weak backhander up the middle. The goalie did everything right on that play.

On another note we all know if Reimer was in net and made the exact same play, you would not be blaming the goalie.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was a pretty crappy game but the Leafs held in there.

Won't it be nice when the Leafs ice a line-up with talent?

How can you not like the future, two of the top prospects in the game, and they are playing for a top pick this year.

Maybe with a 2nd. - 3rd. pick they can grab a goaltender?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I want them to not lose as much...so they dont get a good draft pick but lose enough so they miss the playoffs :laugh:

If they miss the playoffs, they could still win the lottery! I want them to just barely make the playoffs. Same with Snottawa!

LeafSadist

Sep 8, 2003
Ontario
I want them to not lose as much...so they dont get a good draft pick but lose enough so they miss the playoffs :laugh:

Works for me, but I doubt they miss the playoffs even with the way they've been playing. Can't see them getting past the first or second round though.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Well that makes it 5 losses in a row. Leafs looked like a Junior A team against an NHL team. I was excpecting a lot more goals from the Bruins but Bernier did make alot of good saves. to keep it close. Defense was beyond horrid.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
He made a routine play. Jeez.

He could make the same play in the same situation a thousand times over without it being a problem.

He got in the way of Marincin. Marincin was stupid to wrap it around, but Bernier was brutal getting back in net & really had no purpose to be back there. When I saw him leave the net I yelled at the TV for him to get back in the net.

I guess I know him better than he knows himself.

100% he will not be here next year!!!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I was saying "No Bernier, no," when he started coming out of the net there. I agree, I've never been impressed with his puck-handling, but it's not like he even really "played" it there. He slowed it down for Marincin to do something, and Marincin chose the worst option possible.

Ah well.

Ah well indeed.

and looking at the standings (i don't look at the points percentage or whatever) - as of RIGHT NOW. we have sole possession of third worst in the standings. If Edmonton gets a point we're second worst.

that's a Finn/Chychrun.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
He was the first one to the puck and got it to his defensman safely. He even went the extra mile and blocked off the forechecker for Marincin to have time to make a good play. Instead he decides to send a weak backhander up the middle. The goalie did everything right on that play.

On another note we all know if Reimer was in net and made the exact same play, you would not be blaming the goalie.

If Reimer did the exact same thing I would blame Reimer. I've advocated for trading Reimer and having Bernier be our goalie the rest of the season.

People are incredibly sensitive to put any blame on Bernier. Marincin is to blame, Bernier is partially at fault.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The funniest part of that marchand goal was hnic blaming Rielly on the bench for a Bernier/Marincin miscommunication. What a joke :laugh:

Well, if Rielly was on the ice that probably doesn't happen...but you should be able to say that about any NHL defenseman.

On the other hand, what the **** Marincin?

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
If Reimer did the exact same thing I would blame Reimer. I've advocated for trading Reimer and having Bernier be our goalie the rest of the season.

People are incredibly sensitive to put any blame on Bernier. Marincin is to blame, Bernier is partially at fault.

:laugh: lets not kid ourselves here.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

no. if/when Reimer does something dumb or stupid, deepz calls him out too. Honestly, it irks me so much when people want to apply this "you only favour one person" mentality to people. most people are fair, including deepz.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I don't know about you guys but I blame Reilly's obvious lack of compete as mentioned by the commentators tonight. Clearly he should have hopped over the boards, skated 100 feet and stopped that instead of pretended his head couldn't fit in a helmet (regardless of physics), what a bust.

Really though, I am reminded of a certain wide open Chara slap shot that Reimer let in to lose a game and he was attacked for being unable to make "timely saves", well that right there was a lot worse, leaving the net to make a play that didn't need to be made.

Boston was the better team by far and they deserved it, all is right in the end.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
If they miss the playoffs, they could still win the lottery! I want them to just barely make the playoffs. Same with Snottawa!
I dunno whats up with the Hens but eh I can agree with that too lol.
Works for me, but I doubt they miss the playoffs even with the way they've been playing. Can't see them getting past the first or second round though.

Honestly come playoffs it depends on two players for them..Gallagher and Price. If they are on...I won't be surprised if they get to the ECF easy while the others are following their steps atleast 10 miles behind, because in that locker room those two actually give a flying **** when **** is going down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad