Speculation: Maple Leafs To Sign NCAA/CHL Free Agent?

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
In the last two weeks, Lou traded four contracts and took on two.

We now have 48 contracts for this year.

That leaves 2 open spots.

The only way to fill those 2 contracts, at this point in the season, is to either claim someone offer waivers or to sign a college or junior free agent.

Under Brian Burke, we seemed more active in the college free agent market. But since then, a lot of our AHL spots are occupied by our own draft picks. The last college free agent I can think of is Trevor Moore. I wonder if we'll see them dip into that market, in the next few weeks.

There have also been a couple CHL free agent signings lately, by other teams. So that too is a possibility.

HF has a great thread on NCAA free agents:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/top-potential-ufa-ncaa-prospects-this-year.1004723/page-40

Here is a list of the top NCAA free agents:

Top 2018 College Hockey Free Agents - Last Word on Hockey

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He has open roster spots for the sake of having them. They don't need to be filled.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wouldnt mind if they went after Louis Belpedio.
RHD coming off a strong season, former 3rd rd pick as well

leafs only have 29 guys signed, add nylander,johnsson,holl,aaltonen, and pickard and that goes up to 34

lots of room to chase a couple guys

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
NCAA free agents, few become difference makers in the NHL. Good luck to the players and the teams, but it's generally a lot of hype over nothing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matt Gilroy. What I've learnedly, NCAA hockey isn't a good gauge of anything. Man we lucked out with Bozak, most of these free wallets are empty. That brand of hockey isn't transferable to the NHL, exceptions aside. Much better to try your luck finding a jewel in Europe.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
NCAA free agents, few become difference makers in the NHL. Good luck to the players and the teams, but it's generally a lot of hype over nothing.

Matt Gilroy. What I've learnedly, NCAA hockey isn't a good gauge of anything. Man we lucked out with Bozak, most of these free wallets are empty. That brand of hockey isn't transferable to the NHL, exceptions aside. Much better to try your luck finding a jewel in Europe.

Glad you guys don't work for our scouting department.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nothing to see here. Moving on.

They aren't 100% wrong. Ratio of guys who sign out of NCAA as UFAs generally amount to nothing.

The exact same thing could be said for the NHL entry draft. Not many of them (by percentage drafted) become notable NHL players.

Dont scoff at a free asset. You never know.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe, but not sure how likely it is. We did well exploring this avenue with Bozak, but undrafted free agents are generally looking for playing time. Tougher to land these players unless the team is iffy or salary cap strapped.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Would one of these spots be taken by Grundstrom when his season is over?
Don't we also have a couple of prospects whose rights will be up this offseason if we don't sign...? I suppose we could first sign them to an AHL deal if we want them to join the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would one of these spots be taken by Grundstrom when his season is over?
Don't we also have a couple of prospects whose rights will be up this offseason if we don't sign...? I suppose we could first sign them to an AHL deal if we want them to join the Marlies.

Players that would sign their ELC would have their contracts start July 1st, so the 50 contract limit really doesn't matter there. Most players out of Junior sign an ATO for the season and have their contracts start July 1st.

I'm fairly certain Grundstroms contract is part of the 50 contracts. He was just loaned to Frolunda for the season. So if he's done, the Leafs could technically insert him into the lineup.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Have to wonder about when/if Korshkov is heading over after his playoffs wrap up. I know we hold his rights indefinitely, but he's 22 in July so I'd think they'd like to see what he can do in NA.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Have to wonder about when/if Korshkov is heading over after his playoffs wrap up. I know we hold his rights indefinitely, but he's 22 in July so I'd think they'd like to see what he can do in NA.

His KHL contract expires this season. If they Leafs can't bring him over and he re-signs in the KHL, I'd be pretty frustrated as we passed on some really good players to draft him 31st overall in 2016.

We haven't heard much rumblings there. I'm hoping they can sign him up and bring him over with a clause that if he doesn't make the team, he can be loaned to the KHL for the season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dan Brickley is worth a shot IMO. Also Donato of course but zero chance the Bs don't sign him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Mason Bergh, Centre/Left Wing, Colorado College, 6’0″ 172 lbs, Junior

Captain of Colorado College, Bergh has put up 16 goals and 37 points in 34 games this season. Bergh gets in quickly on the forecheck, pressuring defenders and creating turnovers in the offensive zone. He plays an aggressive style and does not back down from anyone. Bergh is an effective pest, going to the net and creating havoc. He will need to get stronger to continue to play this game at the pro level. He also has skill with a good wrist shot and release and the vision and passing skills to be a playmaker.

this guy sounds like a player babcock would be into. Plays 2 positions we are weaker in too

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
His KHL contract expires this season. If they Leafs can't bring him over and he re-signs in the KHL, I'd be pretty frustrated as we passed on some really good players to draft him 31st overall in 2016.

We haven't heard much rumblings there. I'm hoping they can sign him up and bring him over with a clause that if he doesn't make the team, he can be loaned to the KHL for the season.
Someone actually dm'd Korshkov on twitter who replied saying he has plans to come here next year

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

He needs to play in NA if he's gonna play in NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad