Speculation: Maple Leafs To Sign NCAA/CHL Free Agent?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Would it even be a bad thing to get a player who's similar to what the Leafs have? Getting a strong playmaking
RW for instance, even if they never make the bigs, might make the players on the farm team more adjusted once they hit
the bigs with guys like Nylander and Marner there.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some of them are interesting, but only Evans and Donato really jump out as guys who could be anything significant for the Leafs right now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
His KHL contract expires this season. If they Leafs can't bring him over and he re-signs in the KHL, I'd be pretty frustrated as we passed on some really good players to draft him 31st overall in 2016.

We haven't heard much rumblings there. I'm hoping they can sign him up and bring him over with a clause that if he doesn't make the team, he can be loaned to the KHL for the season.

He wants to come over. He didn’t sign a contract until last August and it’s only for this season.

Belief is both he and Grundstrom will come over

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He wants to come over. He didn’t sign a contract until last August and it’s only for this season.

Belief is both he and Grundstrom will come over

Well Grundstrom is coming over no matter what since he has a contract in place. He very likely will join the Marlies once his season is over.

Korshkov should be coming over but you never know sometimes. I doubt that he has any interest in the AHL though since he's been a KHL pro for 4 straight seasons.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
He has open roster spots for the sake of having them. They don't need to be filled.

When we signed Bozak people were doing back flips.Fast forward to today where he has become a lazy 3rd/4th liner who is over payed making JVR type money.

Keep those roster spots open & promote from within.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
More than likely pass on them. Although, if had choose one probably go with Brickley or Autio.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The exact same thing could be said for the NHL entry draft. Not many of them (by percentage drafted) become notable NHL players.

Dont scoff at a free asset. You never know.

Depends on what round of the draft. You get huge differences the higher you look.

Now keep in mind that NCAA FA's in most cases have been passed over through their drafts. Then look at it as a whole and you realize you're talking about a hit rate less then the last round of the entry draft.

The "no stone unturned" logic doesn't mean much when you're looking at contending. Not at all the same as when we'd sign 3 of these guys every spring praying to get anything out of them and we ended up with one of the best ones in Bozak but he only came here due to the chance we could provide with ice time available. We can't offer that to any kids now....look at our own drafted kids and how hard they have it to just get Marlies ice time.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
NCAA free agents, few become difference makers in the NHL. Good luck to the players and the teams, but it's generally a lot of hype over nothing.

For the most part, yes. But we have always guaranteed a NHL roster spot for these players. With proper training and development in the AHL I think it makes more sense.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
When we signed Bozak people were doing back flips.Fast forward to today where he has become a lazy 3rd/4th liner who is over payed making JVR type money.

Ummmmm.....

Bozak has played 9 seasons for us and has averaged 50 pts a year over those 9 seasons. We would have been excited to draft a Bozak with a mid to late 1st round pick with those results. I'll admit Bozak hasn't been amazing this season but there is no way that 40 pt center (which he is this season) isn't valuable.

Also this makes for a very bad argument about why we should promote from within.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Where's this DM evidence?

im not 100% sure but I think there is a Russian poster in the prospect thread who knows Korshkov, so possibly him DM'd him. Again im not 100% sure but ive seen posts eluding to this poster

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Ummmmm.....

Bozak has played 9 seasons for us and has averaged 50 pts a year over those 9 seasons. We would have been excited to draft a Bozak with a mid to late 1st round pick with those results. I'll admit Bozak hasn't been amazing this season but there is no way that 40 pt center (which he is this season) isn't valuable.

Also this makes for a very bad argument about why we should promote from within.

Agreed. For a free wallet via the NCAA, Bozak is just about as good as it gets.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Well bozak wasn't a lazy 3rd or 4th liner when we signed him and it's natural for players to regress.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Where's this DM evidence?
im not 100% sure but I think there is a Russian poster in the prospect thread who knows Korshkov, so possibly him DM'd him. Again im not 100% sure but ive seen posts eluding to this poster
Yeah it was I think in the Marlies thread, I questioned the guy too on it being real but he posted a screenshot of the dm so imma believe it till proven wrong

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Wow harping on a signing that has averaged 50 pts a season since being here. Some first rounders don't even amount to the career Bozak has had. Huge win for the Leafs, and he earned his contract as far as I am concerned. Remember not drafted!!!!!!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I would hope they audition some RD, the bar isn't very high and maybe they hit one.

They can sign them effective for next season so it doesn't even take up one of the empty slots. They can sign them to an AHL agreement until end of season.

Pretty simple really.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Have to wonder about when/if Korshkov is heading over after his playoffs wrap up. I know we hold his rights indefinitely, but he's 22 in July so I'd think they'd like to see what he can do in NA.
Really wanted Kyrou with that second pick instead of Korshkov....still do....probably could of got Korshkov in the third anyway. Also dont like throwing away our seconds the last two years on forth line UFAs. Did that stupid crap for 50 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad