Speculation: Maple Leafs To Sign NCAA/CHL Free Agent?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs should stick to scouring Europe/Russia for free agents. I think it's a much better chance you get an impact player there.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If I were trying to find a diamond in the rough... I would look for a defensive defenseman that plays on a bad team.

Goal scorers get noticed. But if you're a good defensive defenseman on a bad team, your stats will look pretty bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
NCAA free agents, few become difference makers in the NHL. Good luck to the players and the teams, but it's generally a lot of hype over nothing.

the ones that are drafted that teams can't sign seem to pan out a lot more.

Butcher : 32pt rookie dman
Kerfoot: 36pt rookie center

Notables: Wheeler, Krug, Schultz,Bozak, Hayes, Vesey,Dekeyeser

leafs would be silly to not at least entertain the thought of a college signing

Butcher 2016-2017: 7g,30a,37pts in 43 games (4th in team scoring)
Belpedio 2017-2018: 9g,19a,28pts in 34 games (2nd in team scoring)

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Leafs should stick to scouring Europe/Russia for free agents. I think it's a much better chance you get an impact player there.

I just don't get this attitude, and its come up a few times in this thread.

You know we can scout more than one league at a time right?
That scouting multiple sources as opposed to "sticking to Europe/Russia" is more likely to yield a player?

Why is everyone locked in this mindset that if you don't gain an "impact" player then its not worth doing it? A team is made up of more than just the top 2 lines, if ever there has been an emphasis on having solid players in your bottom six/bottom pairing its now.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Last year the Leafs could not fit all their own draft picks into the 50 contract limit.

I doubt that this year will be much different.

I think they have already raised the bar on who gets offered a contract. There is enough talent in the system that one contract is at the expense of another.

I expect them to be very discriminating on who, if anyone, gets offered a contract from college.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs also need to sign Vladimir Bobylev, Pierre Engvall, Nicolas Mattinen, Keaton Middleton, and JJ Piccinich by June 1st or we lose their rights. Nolan Vesey's expire on August 15th

Engvall very well could be signed. He has 18 points in 29 games in the SHL this season, which is fairly respectable. I also expect Keaton Middleton to possibly be signed as well. His game has done nothing but progress since he was drafted.

Bobylev, Mattinen, Piccinich (already on AHL deal) and Vesey are likely to get AHL deals, if anything at all.

Just something to keep in mind

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Louis Belpedio is a guy we should look at, I'm surprised Minnesota wasn't able to get him under contract

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs also need to sign Vladimir Bobylev, Pierre Engvall, Nicolas Mattinen, Keaton Middleton, and JJ Piccinich by June 1st or we lose their rights. Nolan Vesey's expire on August 15th

Engvall very well could be signed. He has 18 points in 29 games in the SHL this season, which is fairly respectable. I also expect Keaton Middleton to possibly be signed as well. His game has done nothing but progress since he was drafted.

Bobylev, Mattinen, Piccinich (already on AHL deal) and Vesey are likely to get AHL deals, if anything at all.

Just something to keep in mind

Engvall will get an ELC I'm almost positive. I think Middleton will probably get one too. Mattinen 50/50. The rest are pretty much fodder and AHL depth at best.

Marlies will have some room for Engvall, Middleton and Mattinen with the likely graduation Johnsson, Dermott and probably Holl as well, not to mention that a few AHLers are likely leaving as well.

Don't be surprised if Mason Marchment gets an ELC as well. He's had a big development year. Big find from Dubas there... again.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
If the rumours concerning a Maple Leafs affiliated ECHL franchise in St. John's next season are true... it may be the realization of Toronto's long term vision to use the AA level to break players and other personnel into professional hockey. There may be room for a large group of kids in the ECHL with our organization next year.

Last edited:

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
the ones that are drafted that teams can't sign seem to pan out a lot more.

Butcher : 32pt rookie dman
Kerfoot: 36pt rookie center

Notables: Wheeler, Krug, Schultz,Bozak, Hayes, Vesey,Dekeyeser

leafs would be silly to not at least entertain the thought of a college signing

Butcher 2016-2017: 7g,30a,37pts in 43 games (4th in team scoring)
Belpedio 2017-2018: 9g,19a,28pts in 34 games (2nd in team scoring)
Also Hyman and toninAto. Not great players but fill certain roles.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

that perception is there because zaitsev was a rare hit. borgman has potential as well, but rosen isnt even a top 4 dman on the marlies.

for every zaitzev though, there are 2-3 rickard wallin types.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Leafs are active in all markets.
Europe, Asia, college, minors.
Finding talent in all corners is becoming a strength, which should help the fill roster and system gaps with projectable talent as the core locks in at bigger money.
Marchment is a good example. Good on him.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Mason Marchment is about to sign an ELC. Good news there.
And they do the ‘good and right’ thing often enough.
Rewarding Greening with a one-way deal to be a mentor; two-year deals on minor league vets to add stability; reward Undrafted players who earn it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->