Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign NCAA FA - C/W Casey Bailey

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It doesn't make sense not to play him.

It would also provide some justification for horachek's horrible record. He can say, "oh, well we were letting a bunch of young kids play to see how they would do, so that's why my record here is so bad".

It's almost like horachek is actually trying to win games... only he's really bad at it and is doing everything wrong.

Call me horrible but if our top line, or at least one of member of it could just be shut down (injury) for the rest of the season it would be a huge help.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Call me horrible but if our top line, or at least one of member of it could just be shut down (injury) for the rest of the season it would be a huge help.

The other teams might not score as much against us if we do that. We need to shut down our bottom 6 because they are actually trying still and playing hockey

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
He is trying to win games. Did you miss his reaction after the Ottawa win? No coach wants to lose games.

Thankfully trying doesn't always equal winning. :naughty:

That said; I'm pretty surprised by the lack of play that Bailey has gotten. I haven't been watching the games lately, so I can't say how he's looked, but I expected he'd be in the line up and getting some ice time.

Baily isn't ready for the NHL yet - instead of putting him out there to get crushed, they are simply sheltering him, letting see the Pro lifestyle, practice with the team to get a sense of the speed, etc.

He'll work out like crazy this summer, spend all of next year with the Marlies - THEN we'll see what we have.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Baily isn't ready for the NHL yet - instead of putting him out there to get crushed, they are simply sheltering him, letting see the Pro lifestyle, practice with the team to get a sense of the speed, etc.

He'll work out like crazy this summer, spend all of next year with the Marlies - THEN we'll see what we have.

Fair enough.

Like I said, I haven't watched the games lately. Wasn't sure how out of place he's been.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Ashley Chase of WJAC TV, Maple Leafs interim head coach Peter Horachek intends to play Casey Bailey in at least three of the final four games. Bailey hopes to get as much action as possible and learn what he needs to do to start next season strong with Toronto.

http://www.wjactv.com/sports/featur...ey-soaks-first-week-penn-state-nhl-2484.shtml

After deciding to forgo his senior season and making his NHL debut on March 26 against the Florida Panthers in Toronto, Penn State's first NHL player has had an eye-opening experience.

"Getting that first game out of the way was huge," says Bailey. "The guys are bigger, they're stronger, they're faster. You've got to make decisions quicker, you can't really make mistakes out there."

"You're evaluating his practice habits, you're evaluating him as a person, everything he does," says Toronto Head Coach Peter Horachek.

"You're always watching, seeing how he carries himself. His first game, I thought he played fairly well."

On top of the on-ice adjustment, the Alaska native is adapting to life after college, in a new country, and with new teammates, including his former Nittany Lion teammate Max Gardiner's brother Jake, a Toronto defenseman.

"Coming from college, it's always tough," says Jake Gardiner, who also left school early, following his junior season at Wisconsin.

"He's been pretty quiet. I know he's probably a lot more outgoing than he is right now but that's just how it is when you first get here, just trying to get used to the guys and get to know everybody."

But Gardiner adds, "he's fitting in great."

"I think he could easily have played more minutes," says Horachek. "That's what we're going to be working on, getting him exposed to it, seeing more and more at this level and what he needs to work on."

"Felt a little bit more comfortable," Bailey says following Wednesday's game.

"Nice to get some more minutes under your belt. I'm just trying to keep it simple right now, trying to make as little mistakes as possible. Right now I'm learning from each shift, and watching the guys and learning from them."

Horachek notes his intent to play Bailey in at least three of the final four games. Bailey hopes to get as much action as possible and learn what he needs to do to start next season strong with Toronto.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I know it's earliy but he looks pretty bad the rare times I even notice him playing. I don't see the upside. Personally i'd stay away from any college FAs that are bad skaters.

Wow, some pretty quick assessments. 2 game's, 18 mins of ice.

Yet he was probably the most sought after NCAA free agent forward. I'm sure the Leafs intention is to start him with The Marlies next year, give him some real ice time & a better opportunity to learn.

NCAA free agents are free other than salary. If I was Leaf management & the number of contracts are open, I would be looking for more & more (especially in a rebuild). If you sign 5 & one makes a career or gets you a future draft pick you are better off than you are with none.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I don't think that he's been out of place though.

He's not trailing plays or missing assignments too much (system isn't that steady right now to be judged on).

From the things that I've noticed, he's cycled the puck really well and he sits in the open areas a lot. That's a great quality to have. He hasn't avoided the corners or from taking a hit.

But the biggest adjustment is the time and space at the next level. He'll continue to improve.

I think he might stay on the Leafs for another year in favour of a guy like Connor Brown. The reason is essentially to bide the time to help Brown develop, gain a lot of weight and strength and then move into the line-up when he's 110% ready.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
According to Ashley Chase of WJAC TV, Maple Leafs interim head coach Peter Horachek intends to play Casey Bailey in at least three of the final four games. Bailey hopes to get as much action as possible and learn what he needs to do to start next season strong with Toronto.

http://www.wjactv.com/sports/featur...ey-soaks-first-week-penn-state-nhl-2484.shtml

This Site is amazing, posters here discuss what is going to happen. A few days later someone from the team tells tbe mainstream media basically tbe same thing.:yo:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I thought his game yesterday was his best one yet. Looks like he has a good wrist shot and is willing to play a physical game.

He still skates all hunched over which looks weird though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought his game yesterday was his best one yet. Looks like he has a good wrist shot and is willing to play a physical game.

He still skates all hunched over which looks weird though.

Yeah I think he needs to work on his skating a lot and just learn the pro game. I think if he stayed in the AHL next year it would help him

Maybe a line of

Bailey-Nylander-Brown - I think this line would do really well
Leipsic-Verhaeghe-Frattin
McKegg-Gauthier-Biggs
Froese-Rupert-Devane

Not a bad line up. Soshkinov could also be in the line up....in fact he most likely will be.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah I think he needs to work on his skating a lot and just learn the pro game. I think if he stayed in the AHL next year it would help him

Maybe a line of

McKegg-Gauthier-Biggs
Froese-Rupert-Devane

Not a bad line up. Soshkinov could also be in the line up....in fact he most likely will be.

"Why have a high end centre prospect when you could have a high end WINGER prospect??"

- Gord Dineen, probably

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
"Why have a high end centre prospect when you could have a high end WINGER prospect??"

- Gord Dineen, probably

I haven't been a fan. I am hoping that next year they give him time at centre full time.

He had success there in the SHL.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
I really liked what I seen last night. I can't wait to see what he can do next year when he has more confidence and opportunity. Bailey may turn out to be a player the Leafs can use.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
First star of the game along with his first NHL goal and nobody here giving him props yet, quite surprised.

Feel he had a real solid game against a good team, created a few of his own chances off of some hard working board play and had multiple great looks at goal. As he said in his post-game interview, he now understands the type of strength and speed required for the big leagues. Also that he's gotta work as hard as he can to get to a position that he can take his game to another level. I'm impressed with this signing.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011

Maybe a line of

McKegg-Gauthier-Biggs
Froese-Rupert-Devane

I think we may get a look at Andreas Johnson with the Marlies next season as well!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Is their anything stopping him frm going to the Marlies after the Leafs season (presuming the Marlies are still playing)?

I think he can't because he wasn't on the roster on NHL deadline day.same reason why Morgan couldn't go to the Marlies last season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
First star of the game along with his first NHL goal and nobody here giving him props yet, quite surprised.

Feel he had a real solid game against a good team, created a few of his own chances off of some hard working board play and had multiple great looks at goal. As he said in his post-game interview, he now understands the type of strength and speed required for the big leagues. Also that he's gotta work as hard as he can to get to a position that he can take his game to another level. I'm impressed with this signing.

Well deserved.

It was almost funny to see. He's been tentative before as if a bit intimidated, then after his first chance yesterday he seemed to realize that he can actually do things at this level too, and after that he was our best forward.

Something I've liked all along is his diligence and attention to his two-way game. He's been very good at covering for pinching D-men, getting into position, back checking and covering his area in the defensive zone.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Play the Kids"

Good to see Bailey get his first NHL goal yesterday.

He needs to increase his first stop skating to get it to NHL level and perhaps a year in the AHL for some development and seasoning.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Probably no better way to let a kid know how much work he needs to do to get to the Pro level than throwing him out there for 8 games.

Work your but off this summer Casey. Looking forward to see what you can bring to the Marlies next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ahhhh yes. I think youre right. Anyways, he looked good last night.

I've read newly signed players can go the AHL.

You can't very well put a player on your AHL roster at the deadline if you don't actually have that roster.

I'd speculate Rielly couldn't go because he was already a Leafs' player and wasn't released to the Marlies.

Hard to find the facts, on 2015 AHL playoffs eligibility, as they seem to have changed a couple times in the past 3 years.

Last edited:

Toronto13

Mar 26, 2015
Markham
Why Marlies he is not a 18 yr kid play him next year its not like the team is going to make the playoffs PLAY THE KIDS!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad