Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Sign NCAA FA - C/W Casey Bailey

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He's done, Look at all Kadri accomplished by 23 and Kadri was considered done by 23 by many here. :laugh: He's another Hanson, career AHL'er at best.

I often wonder how people like you, who are clearly better informed and more clever than the people paid to run NHL teams , never seem to have jobs in hockey ?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I often wonder how people like you, who are clearly better informed and more clever than the people paid to run NHL teams , never seem to have jobs in hockey ?

I know, go figure. I guess it will take you a couple of years to find out the hard way. What round do you think he'd go in if he was draft eligible, seeing he is so sought after? Or is it that teams wanted him because he would cost nothing? Well, nothing except a promise to play a game in the NHL.

Like most things in life it's not what you know...

Anybody that didn't sign a single UFA, make a single trade and just draft the BPA with our pick, would have a better team than we've had the past 10 years.

Last edited:

NotSince67*

He's done, Look at all Kadri accomplished by 23 and Kadri was considered done by 23 by many here. :laugh: He's another Hanson, career AHL'er at best.

Somehow this strikes me as you contradicting yourself...

NotSince67*

On a more related note...

His skating is really slushy, doesn't generate much power. Seems like his posture is too far forward.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I know, go figure. I guess it will take you a couple of years to find out the hard way. What round do you think he'd go in if he was draft eligible, seeing he is so sought after? Or is it that teams wanted him because he would cost nothing? Well, nothing except a promise to play a game in the NHL.

Like most things in life it's not what you know...

Anybody that didn't sign a single UFA, make a single trade and just draft the BPA with our pick, would have a better team than we've had the past 10 years.

Thanks for the laugh man but I think EVERYONE knows why.

FYI they are paid real money so most teams don't throw that away lightly. Most people will concede that undrafted college players are longshots to be impact players in the NHL but this can also be said of about 5/7ths of the players picked at the draft . The ones that are chased and have bidding wars for their services tend to be the best of them. We do see these guys join the league every year so clearly that approach can have some value toward adding depth.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Give the kid some ice time. No reason not to.

Holland didn't start to play well until he got more minutes each night.

Bailey may very well not have much more to show - but give him a chance to sink or swim

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for the laugh man but I think EVERYONE knows why.

FYI they are paid real money so most teams don't throw that away lightly. Most people will concede that undrafted college players are longshots to be impact players in the NHL but this can also be said of about 5/7ths of the players picked at the draft . The ones that are chased and have bidding wars for their services tend to be the best of them. We do see these guys join the league every year so clearly that approach can have some value toward adding depth.

Yep depth for the AHL...
How many NHL players have come from Penn state? Exactly 0. All I'm saying is don't expect much because you'll be disappointed.... Again.

NotSince67*

Calling him a house leaguer doesn't really make you credible.

And Penn State has been D-1 for 3 years, meaning he's played D-1 for his full career.

I wish I could speak my mind but I don't feel like getting banned.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I know it's earliy but he looks pretty bad the rare times I even notice him playing. I don't see the upside. Personally i'd stay away from any college FAs that are bad skaters.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
So, sorry I wasn't able to see any of the game tonight - how is Bailey - straight up?

I'm sure he will need a lot of time to get better regardless of what the answer is.

StatsNightHero

Mar 25, 2014
On a more related note...

His skating is really slushy, doesn't generate much power. Seems like his posture is too far forward.

I agree, his foot speed looks pretty good for a big guy but he's not going anywhere. Hopefully a year or 2 in the AHL will give him time to work on his skating well he continues developing te rest of his game at a slightly slower level of hockey. With his skating as weak as it is right now, it's hard to see what else he might be able to bring to the table. A big winger with a big shot would be really nice playing with Nylander or Brown.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Only 4 games left, meaningless games at that, and horachek plays this guy 6 minutes against the sabres. I mean, if you want him to get a feel of the type of game he's gotta play, let him work some things out NOW so he understands what he's gotta become in the offseason. I understand the whole earn your ice time thing but this team is in shambles anyways.

6 minutes... I can understand not playing him vs Tampa but against the sabres, atleast let the guy get at some tweeners for more than that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only 4 games left, meaningless games at that, and horachek plays this guy 6 minutes against the sabres. I mean, if you want him to get a feel of the type of game he's gotta play, let him work some things out NOW so he understands what he's gotta become in the offseason. I understand the whole earn your ice time thing but this team is in shambles anyways.

6 minutes... I can understand not playing him vs Tampa but against the sabres, atleast let the guy get at some tweeners for more than that.

Very strange that he got so little playing time against the 30th overall team. I would even have put him on the PK and PP to see how he looks in all situations.

That said of all the minutes he as played he certainly has done much to suggest he is an NHLer yet.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It doesn't make sense not to play him.

It would also provide some justification for horachek's horrible record. He can say, "oh, well we were letting a bunch of young kids play to see how they would do, so that's why my record here is so bad".

It's almost like horachek is actually trying to win games... only he's really bad at it and is doing everything wrong.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
It doesn't make sense not to play him.

It would also provide some justification for horachek's horrible record. He can say, "oh, well we were letting a bunch of young kids play to see how they would do, so that's why my record here is so bad".

It's almost like horachek is actually trying to win games... only he's really bad at it and is doing everything wrong.

He is trying to win games. Did you miss his reaction after the Ottawa win? No coach wants to lose games.

Thankfully trying doesn't always equal winning. :naughty:

That said; I'm pretty surprised by the lack of play that Bailey has gotten. I haven't been watching the games lately, so I can't say how he's looked, but I expected he'd be in the line up and getting some ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad